Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not Original Floorpan Removal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

There is a lot of info on how to remove factory floorpans but not much about how to remove ones that have been replaced. I have a solid Ghia chassis that I am going to be using for my Beetle so I need to remove the Ghia pans but they are plug welded in. The plug welds are substantial and I don't think my air chisel is going to cut it. Any tips on how to remove plug welded pans without wrecking the flange? Any advice appreciated.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

Cut them out next to tunnel flange and you should be able to see the welded spots, then it's just a matter of grinding through the welds. Pretty much the same procedure as removing stock pans just a little more work.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

I have found a cheap electric file belt sander and 36 grit to be excellent on grinding down welds in a limited space. Much better than trying an angle grinder or expensive replacement Dremel cutting wheels. I buy full width wood belt sander belts and cut them down with scissors to suit the width of the file sander.

Out of all the tools I have for rust repairs, I have found the file sander to be fantastic at dressing down the front and backside of welds after bulk weld removal with an angle grinder without the worry of over-grinding the parent material. You have so much more control and the "contact patch" can be made small and sort of rectangular (to the shape of the belt). Plus you can get into spots you never can with an angle grinder.

Grind down the top of the weld with the file sander a bit, say half way, and THEN use the air chisel to cut through if you want to. Needs experimenting to see how far you have to grind through.

Alternatively you can use a carbide burr to do the same.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

I use 3 inch cut off wheels, on my air die grinder, to grind plug welds fast! I also stack the wheels to speed up the area to be ground out. Lately 3 wheels are working great with no bogging down!

Worth a try! Betting you will love it! I use this same setup for my primary grinding down of my welds, too. Followed up with a 36 grit flap wheel.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

I have the tools you guys mention so I will see what I like best. Jimbo mentioned "grind plug welds fast" so that idea sounds like where I will start. Do you need a special mandrel to fit 3 wheels? I think I will use the file sander to clean things up at the end. I like the idea of cuttting down wide belt sander belts but I imagine it is hell on a pair of scissors! Thanks for the advice!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
I have the tools you guys mention so I will see what I like best. Jimbo mentioned "grind plug welds fast" so that idea sounds like where I will start. Do you need a special mandrel to fit 3 wheels? I think I will use the file sander to clean things up at the end. I like the idea of cuttting down wide belt sander belts but I imagine it is hell on a pair of scissors! Thanks for the advice!

I use these ones. You can get them from Amazon.

Weiler 56490 Mounting Mandrel For Cut-Off Wheels W/3/8" Arbor Hole, 1/4" Stem

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

Awesome, got a deal that included 10 disks. Should be here Saturday, thanks again!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
I think I will use the file sander to clean things up at the end. I like the idea of cuttting down wide belt sander belts but I imagine it is hell on a pair of scissors! Thanks for the advice!

Just use an old pair of scissors or if handy a pair of tin snips or shears. Cut a small slit in the belt and it will tear in a perfect straight line due to the underlying structure of how the belt is made. Your don't have to cut all the way around. It's like when you tear some emery cloth.

However, only tear up to the "join" of the belt. Tear up to almost the join, then snip through the join and continue to tear all the way round. The join is the weak point and sometimes the belt will tear and come apart.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

In case it helps anyone, after grinding through about 7 plug welds, I discovered that the PO who installed the new pans never fully removed the factory pan's lip. I actually ended up using a chisel to pop the original spot welds and the plug welded metal came up with it. They cut the original pan right up to the lip, welded to the old pan metal and coated the seam with sealer so I couldn't tell there was an extra layer of metal there until I got into it. I also forgot to put on my gloves and ended up in the ER for 6 stitches to close up a bloody gash caused by whacking my hand against the metal I was removing. WEAR GLOVES!
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Not Original Floorpan Removal Reply with quote

@clockworkbox ...

I feel your pain, literally.
I usually leave a DNA sample on most tasks.
(I'm a no gloves kinda guy).

Never underestimate a prior owner's ability to cut corners.
Good karma to you for takin care of business.

Best luck ... stay safe(r)

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

Cheap parts ain't good
and good parts ain't cheap.

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: