Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brass gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

As for the trim for the window rubber, side glass isn’t too bad to do but the back glass really sucked.
First, I shaped the trim to match the curve and corners of the window. When you’ve got that done then it’s a slow and painful process of getting the C into the groove.
I used a sharpened chop stick or a pen to open the groove prior to inserting the trim all the way around and using Windex to lube the groove. I used painters tape to keep the thing down. Once it was in it was ok but ….

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but my window rubber was WCM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I JB welded the clip in as far forward as i could
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I guess i could re drill the forward most trim hole in the hood in order to get an even distance on either end of the trim but then id have a hole to plug
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

brass gears wrote:
As for the trim for the window rubber, side glass isn’t too bad to do but the back glass really sucked.
First, I shaped the trim to match the curve and corners of the window. When you’ve got that done then it’s a slow and painful process of getting the C into the groove.
I used a sharpened chop stick or a pen to open the groove prior to inserting the trim all the way around and using Windex to lube the groove. I used painters tape to keep the thing down. Once it was in it was ok but ….

I ordered another rubber a couple weeks ago from Jbugs. I’ll see how it goes. I think the other was from cip1 a couple years ago.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
I JB welded the clip in as far forward as i could

If that hasn't set yet you may want to make a test JB Weld clip and a small flat scrap of aluminum. I'm thinking that may not be installable because the clip can no longer squeeze together to pop the fat part through the hole.

My suggestion is to make a flat tab clip for the front trim hole. It would be a strip of metal wide enough to slip into the trim channel on one end, with the other end narrow enough to fit through the trim hole and bent down 90 degrees to pass through it. You could then bend it over inside the hood to hold the trim.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Your thinking is correct ! It wouldn’t have squeezed.
I was able to modify it before it sat up.
I’m also glad i looked at it again because it needed to move even further toward the end to work with badge.
Thanks
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
brass gears wrote:

I ordered another rubber a couple weeks ago from Jbugs. I’ll see how it goes. I
think the other was from cip1 a couple years ago.

This motivated me to try the new one. Mim happy to say it worked . It was 100% easier !
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Backide of the new badge which sat crooked in the back plate .
I removed it and repositioned it.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

This is the original.
I’m going to paint it at some point and replace the crappy new one.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I'm sure that polishing the emblem's base plate will produce a much better shine. Try a high quality polish such as Simichrome, Autosol, or Flitz. Q-tip or soft toothbrush for the thin ridges... Then when ready to paint, wipe the emblem's low areas with lacquer thinner or "Prep-Sol" to get any of the polish residue off. It'll take at least 5 coats of brushed-on enamel to build up the surface and start to level out the pits. Years ago a friend gave me an old, original VW Club of America emblem which had many voids, and I needed at least 10 coats to bring the pit depth up to the surrounding good enamel layer.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank You. Thats good advice.
Did you use model paints or ?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Have you been prepping the metal surfaces that you apply JB Weld too? Cleaning with something like alcohol or acetone is a good first and last step, but for really good adhesion you should grind the metal surfaces, especially with aluminum that develops an invisible oxide coating within hours of being sanded. JB Weld is quite strong, but is often limited by its adhesion to the surfaces being bonded.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Thank You. Thats good advice.
Did you use model paints or ?

Yes, either good ol' Testor's in the small glass bottles, or British Humbrol in the very small round tins from a now-defunct upscale hobby shop. The red wolf had a translucent red color, though your wolf looks to be OK with no chips.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

A couple questions as i have a couple decisions to make concerning the interior :

1) Do people like the passenger footrest ? I have one and need to order all the stuff for the interior including carpet so i need to make a decision on whether to keep it in or not.

2) the car was originally indigo blue so i painted it that color (or thereabouts as it doesn’t quite look like the exact shade ) If i had to do it over it would be another color.
The question i have is what would be a good color combination for the seats. I’m not sure i like water blue all that much. It doesn’t have to be original. I’m also not sure i like all vinyl. The water blue doesn’t seem to me to be a good fit with the shade of indigo i have although it’s not bad. The original door cards were water blue. I didnt have the original front seats . It had high backs from a later vehicle. The rear seat might be original but im not sure.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Remains of the rear seat i have
Not the best pics
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Is this steel grey cloth on the top with vinyl on the sides. Also what weave or ?
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Anyone have an Indigo blue car ? What interior and carpet color ?

Last edited by Kthomas on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

In the chart it says water blue cloth and steel grey leatherette. It looks like the pictures of water blue seats are opposite ? Water blue vinyl and whatever kind of material grey or ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: