Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Engine build advice
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lner JP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: First Engine build advice Reply with quote

I am confident and competent with spanners and have removed heads in the past, I've just never split a case, basically because I never had to as I had an unemployed ex VW mechanic who used to do engine builds for me.

I think I could do a stock build without much bother, but when you start to go down the modified route there are so many parts of varying levels of quality and compatability, it's guidance through the huge catalogue of parts available that I'm looking for. Camshafy dwell and angles is a complete mystery to me.

JP
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: First Engine build advice Reply with quote

Well it looks like we are covered then - have at it. For people who have never been on the firing line to say they can hit targets w/o much bother first time out w/ the rifle- okay if you say so.

It takes some hands-on so you get the feel of what it takes to do anything. As with anything, it is all about experience. If you are newbie, you will be making newbie mistakes.

By all means - and good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: First Engine build advice Reply with quote

My best advice is be suspicious of everything. Assume it’s not correct until you verify that it is correct. If you don’t have the tools or skills to measure each part, you will need to find a friend or shop that has the tools and expertise to do so. In order to know what you have, you will need a micrometer and bore gauge. Engine bearing quality these days is all over the map. You also need to check the case before ordering bearings. If the bores are too big or egg shaped, it will need to be cut and have oversize bearings installed. Once you have bearings, you need to make sure they fit correctly, etc…

VW engines are not complicated by any means, and most people can rebuild one with only a handful of basic tools. However, despite their simplicity, they are still very precise in their tolerances. Your ability to measure what you have and verify fits, and adjust if necessary is key to long term success.

Don’t underestimate cleanliness. New pistons, rings, and cylinders are filthy! Use ATF to lift the honing grit out of the parts. ATF cleans really well. You would be amazed the crap that comes off.

I hope you take the plunge and totally strip it down. It is well worth learning. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: