Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Hey All! I am thinking of putting some new tires on my dirt road, double track, sandy old jeep road baja.

I was thinking of the General Graber for the front, it is 28lbs, which seems normal for a front tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...p;i1_Qty=2
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Goodyear Duratracs on the rear at 40lbs it seems fairly light, I've had them on my Jeeps and liked them. : https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...p;i1_Qty=2

Pics of my usual cruises:

Any thoughts from the Samba community? Thanks all!

-Joe
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Ive looked at the grabbers a few times the tread depth is shallow almost like buying a new tire 1/3rds worn down that's why they are (cheaper).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Thanks Squatch!

-Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

I still might put a set on my lifted Crown Vic tow rig the shallow tread depth might be good for towing more stable.

On the front of a VW they will last forever no weight to wear them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Do the fronts need deep traction grooves.?
I will say that the while deep lugs look bad ass, functionally- something that gonna keep contact with pavement and prevent hydroplaning is more functional.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

When is was still into Mustangs early 2000s I was passed by a bug with stock skinny tires doing 75mph in pouring rain. We went 40miles before parting ways miles he/she never skipped a beat its all about skinny fronts.

If you want to cruise around the desert in dry condition's and NOT climb or descent crazy steep loose gravel mountains along with some dry highway runs do whatever you want wont matter. If you need to steer in a hurry and need tires that (BITE) pie cutters are the best. I used Goodyear wranglers 235 75 15s up front the first 3 years I had my baja. Took a full 5 secs to respond in sand and nearly killed myself descending a rocky gravel trail. Never agian.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

I run the Genital Grabbers up front, & the BFG KO2s in the rear.

The grabbers have a softer tread compound than the KO2s & stick better in the wet. This combination makes for great fun in the rain as the rear begins to rotate with little provocation, but is easily reigned back in with a quick countersteer & blip of the throttle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

-Joe
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've been super happy with my Std Wrangler rear and cheapest all season front combo on my baja. I don't push it too hard but the sand can get pretty deep around here. For my area, my favorite places to drive are the earthy, slightly rocky, and very rooty pine forests. I'm not sure how that compares to what you got out there, but I don't need anything crazy. I think the standard wranglers are just blocky enough to grab but not overly aggressive to dig in too fast in deep dry sand unless you're trying to be an idiot. Price is right too.

Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Thanks! That is an awesome picture. I ended up ordering the Grabber for the front and Duratracs for the rear. I went with both based on weight, the Duratrac was 10lbs lighter in my size than the K02.

I should have them installed tomorrow, I'll report back.

Full disclosure, this was really just curiosity until I looked at the date codes on my current tires and they are 20 years old Shocked . Which hastened my purchase a bit.

-Joe
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Yeah, you're making me nervous. This baja has been laid up for a few years waiting for a new motor and it's finally time. I can just bet my tires are aged out too. Maybe not that bad, but I know for sure one of my fronts won't stay inflated. It was always like that; maybe the centerline rims? But I'll at least be getting new fronts.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Had the tires installed today, on the highway they were actually nice and smooth compared to the old tires. On the double track they were great. Plus and really what is most important , I like the way they look.

-Joe
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

They look great!
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Question: General Graber on Front Duratrac on Rear? Reply with quote

Went out for a short dirt cruise. I like the new shoes!

-Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: