Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Another possibility is to get a convex mirror glass and glue it over the flat glass of the driver's side mirror. Van Cafe recommends applying convex to convex and flat to flat but when my driver's side glass broke I strongly considered adding the convex glass to it. That would probably require some additional adhesive. In the end I opted for a flat mirror since I didn't want to adapt to the change. The mirror defroster still works fine even with the replacement glass stuck to the original broken glass but it may be a bit slower in defrosting.

I used the convex fisheye mirrors on my '85 floppy mirrors and that worked well.

Replacement mirror glass:
https://vancafe.com/search.php?search_query=Vanagon%20mirror%20glass
Thanks for the tip, Jim! I'll definately check out the Van Cafe link!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

Our kit uses mirrors that are readily available and fit a popular vehicle, so if you were to crack one you could easily replace it individually without having to buy a new kit (or even a new mount for that side). We stock spares and so do plenty of Land Rover places. The left and right mirrors are the same, which also makes replacement easy. By comparison, GW's kit uses unknown/unidentified aftermarket mirrors (and L and R are different). You'd have to start from scratch, as the mounts won't fit any other mirrors.

That's the same reason we sell simple a bolt-on adapter to replace your old-school Vanagon starter with a readily available Golf/Jetta gear reduction starter, rather than selling an obscure proprietary version like our competitors do. Proprietary vendor-specific parts are a backwards step, as they are often even harder to find/replace than Vanagon part was (especially in a hurry). Sometimes there's no choice, but if you can get the same result with a simple adapter that also allows you to use an even MORE widely available part on your Vanagon - a forward step - why not do that? Sure, I'd make more money selling expensive proprietary kits rather than buy-once-and-done adapters, but I don't think it's in the best interest of my customers. I'd rather you come back to me because you want to, not because I forced you to.

Another benefit is that many such products (including both the mirror and starter adapters I sell) are made by Vanagon enthusiasts who have been longtime members of our community and had the inspiration to make a better mouse trap, so the money goes back to the entrepreneurs/enthusiasts among us, rewarding their efforts and encouraging future innovation. I was one myself when I started the Depot, so I know firsthand how much that matters. The Depot would not exist today if the members of the Vanagon List (pre-Samba) hadn't been so supportive. You have to pay it forward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

We have the GW deluxe mirror kit and like them a lot. Didn't love the look of the Land Rover mirrors and would have liked Truck mirrors but didn't want to spend the money on those.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

Hmmmm... All this talk of mirrors. I set my mirrors in 2006 and haven't touched them since. I couldn't even tell you if the motors still work or not.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Hmmmm... All this talk of mirrors. I set my mirrors in 2006 and haven't touched them since. I couldn't even tell you if the motors still work or not.

Our drivers stock "floppy" manual mirror flew off on I5 (broke at the base) so we had to upgrade. Very Happy

Power mirrors would have been nice but still spendy used.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

Same here (although set round about 2014). The motors don't work on mine but they're set and work for both me and my travel partner.

The floppy mirrors on my '85 were a major irritation and a safety hazard. Failing to successfully fix the flop after multiple tries became an exercise in disappointment and frustration.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
A2VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

I went with GW mirror and so far they have been great. If you need to replace them down the road you can just get them online. They are from 1987-2002 Jeep Wrangler.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

Here is my two cents having driven with both.

1) I personally hate the convex mirror on the drivers side with the Land Rover mirrors

2)They both seem sort of cheap in the build quality of the mirror themselves. The mounts are both fine with the GW being a small percentage point better.

3) They both are easy to find replacements for anywhere in the country with the GW (Jeep) mirrors likely a bit more plentiful.

4) Field of view is pretty equal, the Land Rover mirrors are convex on both so probably give a better total field of view, but like I said, I am not a fan.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

SoquelDude wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Another possibility is to get a convex mirror glass and glue it over the flat glass of the driver's side mirror. Van Cafe recommends applying convex to convex and flat to flat but when my driver's side glass broke I strongly considered adding the convex glass to it. That would probably require some additional adhesive. In the end I opted for a flat mirror since I didn't want to adapt to the change. The mirror defroster still works fine even with the replacement glass stuck to the original broken glass but it may be a bit slower in defrosting.

Replacement mirror glass:
https://vancafe.com/search.php?search_query=Vanagon%20mirror%20glass
Thanks for the tip, Jim! I'll definately check out the Van Cafe link!

Hi!

What I ended up doing is keeping the Power Mirrors and just replaced the flat mirror with the comvex power mirror replacement for the driver's side. I got the mirror from Van Cafe:

https://vancafe.com/power-mirror-glass-convex/

Once I dropped the flat mirror, cleaned up some gunk around the PM motor, and inserted the convex mirror, all is well. I even brought the power adjuster back to like (sort of...it's back to DOA mode, but I can live with that).

So far, I'm really happy with the convex mirror and will try them out on a drive to San Diego and Hemet next week.

Thanks for all the tips!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: GW Deluxe Manual Mirror Kit vs BD's Vanagon Door Mirror Kit Reply with quote

Good feedback! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: