Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Hey sorry for my absence, life kinda picked up super super fast and I’ve had no issues with the bus just a ton of fun. With AP’s and SAT’s I’ve been swamped. No issues with the bus and I took it today to school and people loved it. That being said, AP’s end in 2 weeks and my schedule will open up a ton especially with summer around the corner. I notice a smell not dissimilar from burnt rubber when I shift occasionally and I can’t tell if it’s the brakes or clutch. There’s a tiny bit of play in the transmission when trying to shift gears. The brakes 100% need to be gone through, the owner before me said that was the only thing they haven’t done and that I shouldn’t use the EBRAKE, thankfully have never had to and leaving it in first gear does the trick where I live. I’ve regularly drove it because letting it sit ik itsnt great but I’ve tried to limit my driving because Ik excessive driving isn’t great. I went to a bug show and a few cars and coffees to attempt to meet some locals with busses and get a mechanic who can show me the ropes on fixing up new drums because I’m a little nervous to do that comeplltey by myself with no one mechanically inclined. The air hoses have evening holding up great but damn she leaks oil like a mf and I really haven’t been able to pinpoint where, I can attach a photo later in case one of you may have an idea. I took her to my buddy’s dads shop who works on old land rovers and he said the fuel lines seemed solid. I plan to time and check valves this weekend as well ask stock up on oil because of the rate this thing leaks. I’ve been talking to Aidan and he’s hooked me up with a set of seats from a junkyard bus he can get to me for 400. I got historic plates on her so I can’t take her on the highway but I’m gonna trailer her up to OCNJ this summer with one of my buddies land rovers (the same one with the shop).

Just wanted to check in and say thank you all for eveyrhing and to where u got me. Along with saying thanks noe I want to say thank you in advance because I’m when she starts giving me problems I’m gonna need the help.

Ps I got an internship and my friends dad’s shop to maybe help me become a tad more mechanically inclined.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Excellent news! Cool

Don't put the brakes off long, it doesn't matter how good it goes, if it doesn't stop it ain't worth shit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

For your safety and everyone else's safety driving near you, get those brakes done ASAP. Especially if you notice they are not performing well, that means very little life left in them.

Good report that you have been getting to drive it around a bit. Enjoy and be safe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Do the drums one at a time so you have a reference point to see how parts go back together. Don't even have to take a bunch of pictures that way. First step to finding the oil leak would be to scrub all the oil/grime of the bottom of the engine so you can potentially see where it's coming from. Glad you're enjoying it!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

I told you to do the brakes right away. Remember, cars today stop way better than that bus did brand new. I bet my 26' Class C RV stops better than my bus. I know for a fact my Alltrack does and my 2003 Eurovan did too. Even my 2021 Jeep does (trust me, Jeeps are not known for handling or performance on the road). Then with modern tires (which are pretty new) your bus will have ABS in the dry unless you work out your legs at the gym or do lots of hiking.

In a nutshell, look at everything else that is driving around you and it doesn't take a pro racecar driver to get any modern vehicle to a stop in a jiffy today.
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Studying for aps rn and figured I’d take the bus to get food really quick, unfortunately the dreaded day has came. I turned the key and it started up really quick made a loud noise then died, was hoping the battery died mid start up but unfortunately that’s not the case the battery is fine, however when I turn the key it doesn’t even seem to roll over. Been really busy but I hope this is a simpler fix. Thank you all!
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Studying for aps rn and figured I’d take the bus to get food really quick, unfortunately the dreaded day has came. I turned the key and it started up really quick made a loud noise then died, was hoping the battery died mid start up but unfortunately that’s not the case the battery is fine, however when I turn the key it doesn’t even seem to roll over. Been really busy but I hope this is a simpler fix. Thank you all!

Got to preoccupied trying to diagnose the bus, I can say without a doubt it is the battery, all the wires seem fine and it started up with no issues when I jumped it. If anyone has a specific battery or brand they swear by please refer me!
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Laird.Ostien wrote:

Got to preoccupied trying to diagnose the bus, I can say without a doubt it is the battery, all the wires seem fine and it started up with no issues when I jumped it. If anyone has a specific battery or brand they swear by please refer me!

Looking through forums,

Is this solid https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-ch...960419_0_0

Didn’t know battery’s were so diverse lol.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Looking through forums,

Is this solid https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-ch...960419_0_0

Didn’t know battery’s were so diverse lol.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully chime in with better info, but what I can say is that "group 42" is what I always hear when battery topics pop up, so probably yes in that regard. CCA is basically how strong the battery can start the engine (it's biggest draw/load) when cold and I seem to recall our vw's only need about 300 so 500 would have you covered.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Believe it or not Walmart batteries are pretty good. I’ve read several technical reviews indicating they rate very well and they are less expensive than most.
The marine starting battery in my restored Century Resorter is 12 yrs old and shows no sign of dying. As summer is approaching will replace it because of age only. I do use a tender & charge it 2-3 time during winter storage.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

There are only a handful of battery makers. Labels are an indication of warranty and where to take it when it dies.

Group 42, or 42-1 or something, it's not actually that important. What matters is that you install it securely and clean the wiring terminals.

Disconnect the negative/ground first and install the negative/ground last.

Of course, a jump start will tell you if the battery is truly bad. If it doesn't jump, you have other issues.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Hey, I got the new battery in and she started up perfectly took her for a cruise and left her in my driveway, now when I try and pull her into my garage the key wouldn’t turn, thenrealized there some sort of lock system when the wheels turned, I turned the wheel back and now the same issue, I’m gonna try and re connect to battery cables in case they were lose but I’m thinking maybe ignition now?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Hey, I got the new battery in and she started up perfectly took her for a cruise and left her in my driveway, now when I try and pull her into my garage the key wouldn’t turn, thenrealized there some sort of lock system when the wheels turned, I turned the wheel back and now the same issue, I’m gonna try and re connect to battery cables in case they were lose but I’m thinking maybe ignition now?
Steering Locks and interlocks age with wear. Sometimes a spray of a liquid grease that sets up as a tacky grease will free things up. Others would say a shot of graphite is the thing to use.

I have a dedicated lock spray from Wurth Products, but a close version would be Super Lube, which is usually available at hardware stores and Amazon.Also, don’t jam your steering wheel one way or the other after sitting off your Bus. You’ll lock up the steering lock every time if you yank a bit on the wheel.
Link to Super Lube below

https://a.co/d/7ABToi2
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: