Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unidentified twin wiring bundles aft of relay panel, cut off?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Unidentified twin wiring bundles aft of relay panel, cut off? Reply with quote

My car was converted from FI to carbs. On the left side of the engine bay, just aft and below the main relay tray, are two large wiring bundles coming out of the driver's left side bodywork. They have both been cut off and capped (insulated) and the bundle outer sheathing was painted the same color as the body paint so I have no idea what the wiring codes are for the wires contained in them. A likely guess would be that they are associated with the heater blower (also missing on my car) and the previous FI equipment connections (now gone).

Anyone know what those two wiring bundles were for? I am trying to find the green wire with black stripe that will connects to my 'taco-plate' oil sensor and the oil temp gauge on my center console, but have thus far not found one even close to it in either color or description. Sure would like to find that bloody "green-with-black-stripe" wire so I can get my oil temp gauge hooked up and not have to run a new wire to the cockpit for that purpose!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unidentified twin wiring bundles aft of relay panel, cut off? Reply with quote

those are the lines for the expansion tank to vacuum the fumes, one connected to a blow source on the impeller the other one into the air cleaner, they are NOT wire bundles!!!
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unidentified twin wiring bundles aft of relay panel, cut off? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
those are the lines for the expansion tank to vacuum the fumes, one connected to a blow source on the impeller the other one into the air cleaner, they are NOT wire bundles!!!

Thanks for that sus, George! What a relief to know they aren't wire bundles! I couldn't imagine for the life of me why anyone would cut off what I thought were two main branches of the wire harness! Shocked

It's too bad that when people muck about with a car's stock/OEM layout that they don't leave at least a note in a maintenance log (or a label on the 'altered' part) to let subsequent owners know what the %$#&^%*! they've done! Whenever I buy a car from someone who has been so thoughtful as to do this (or act responsibly as a temporary 'custodian' for the vehicle), the seller's points expand exponentially in my book.

I always do this with my own cars and often leave hand-drawn schema and/or diagrams illustrating the changes in the detailed dossiers that accompany my cars to a new home. As many have previously noted, when we "acquire" a car we're not as much "owners" as custodians who care for the car until a new "owner" steps up to the plate...

Owning a historically significant car is properly as much an enjoyable and profitable learning experience as simply having a 'good drive' available when the mood hits (IMO). [Which is one reason why your advice and 914-wisdom are such a boon to 914 owners! Thanks again.]

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: