Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
Anyone use the EMPI hei setup?
https://empius.com/products/hei-system-kit/
There doesn't seem to be any information for it or against it.

https://mooreparts.com/products/empi-00-9442-0-emp...plug-wires

Its $140 more then a Magnaspark but close to the same thing. The only difference is it uses a less efficient canister coil. (But to be fair that coil is likely more reliable then the magnaspark coil).

Pats kit, the Magnaspark, and that Empi kit are better then stock, but less powerfull then a MSD setup. Great if you dont want the most out of your ignition and just want a ready to run with no seperate cdi box. The sacrifice for the convienence is power, and you now rely on the distributors internal module that can fail and leave you stranded. But to each their own.

For $340, Anyone could still Buy a MSD style billet distributor ($100-$150) and a bullet proof analog box for $100-$150, and still have money left to get a real coil.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
clockworkbox wrote:

https://mooreparts.com/products/empi-00-9442-0-emp...plug-wires

Its $140 more then a Magnaspark but close to the same thing. The only difference is it uses a less efficient canister coil. (But to be fair that coil is likely more reliable then the magnaspark coil).

Pats kit, the Magnaspark, and that Empi kit are better then stock, but less powerfull then a MSD setup. Great if you dont want the most out of your ignition and just want a ready to run with no seperate cdi box. The sacrifice for the convienence is power, and you now rely on the distributors internal module that can fail and leave you stranded. But to each their own.

For $340, Anyone could still Buy a MSD style billet distributor ($100-$150) and a bullet proof analog box for $100-$150, and still have money left to get a real coil.

I did and couldn't be happier with the Crane Hi6N, Crane PS-92 coil and MSD clone distributor.
My 2276 starts at the tick of the key after laying dormant throughout the winter months.
It was money well spent on a reliable hot spark ignition system. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:

All that money and not even the option of a vacuum advance ?

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I’ve read this really interesting thread and I am thinking about replacing my MSD Blaster 2 Coil with the blue HVC-2 blaster coil (8253). I have a MSD mag distributor so no problem on this side.

My CDI is a Mallory 6 AL2 from around 2010 (digital). I guess that the construction is very similar to a MSD al6 but if someone could confirm compatibility I’d be happy . Very Happy
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

This ignition box has been out about a year now and JPaull gave it a favorable review back on page 40 of this thread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone using it and what is your impression?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
clockworkbox wrote:

All that money and not even the option of a vacuum advance ?

It's a clone of a clone, way too much effort for them to redesign it to have vacuum Laughing

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

It seems that the 8253 HVC-2 bluecoil works with a Mallory hyfire 6al.

Now the question is : is this coil ok for street driving only (= lower rpm’s )and for long range trips?

Phil
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
It seems that the 8253 HVC-2 bluecoil works with a Mallory hyfire 6al.

Now the question is : is this coil ok for street driving only (= lower rpm’s )and for long range trips?

Phil

The MSD HVC-2 8253 is designed specifically for the MSD 6 series, which is the specifically for street cars, its not a race coil(but still could be used as such). I would trust this coil for the street more then any other coil. As long as you have confirmation from Mallory/MSD that its ok to use with your cdi box, i would definitely use it on the street.

The other MSD HVC2 8261 and HVC 3 826123 are designed for the MSD 7 series which is the race car stuff. That being said, even folks like Robert King and others run them on the street still.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks JPaull.

I have asked summit if the 8253 coil is compatible. They said it should work.

However comparing the primary resistance of the coils Mallory recommended, I can see that they all had a primary resistance of 0.5 Ohm vs 0.16 Ohm for the HVC-2 blue coil (8253). The MSD Blaster 2 coil I am running has a primary resistance of 0.7 Ohm, even higher than the Mallory coils.

Less primary resistance allows more current to flow but I read that it can damage the distributor trigger, in my case a magnetic pick-up.

This makes me a little hesitant to buy the coil.

I am really not an expert in this field though and I am happy to have your feedback.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

On a cdi system using a mag pickup distributor, there will not be any difference with stress on the mag pickup between different coils.
On a non cdi system, like a distributor with a module(magnaspark/Pertronix/etc), now the coil will effect the distributor internal module and can be toast with the wrong coil.

When you said you checked if the 8253 was compatible, i thought you checked with mallory/MSD. Summit is a great seller, but for tech support you need to check with MSD as they bought Mallory, and they will know. The cdi is the part that will function poorly or die if the coil is a wrong match.

1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Yes, I have managed to write to Msd’s tech support after I figured out how without a US phone number.

We’le see what they say. Sure enough I don’t want to fry my CDI that works perfectly.

Thanks!
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Yes, I have managed to write to Msd’s tech support after I figured out how without a US phone number.

We’le see what they say. Sure enough I don’t want to fry my CDI that works perfectly.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Jump to:
Page 45 of 45

Jump to: