Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery stalling issue with 34-3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

I have a 1971 Westy that has decided to start stalling or nearly stalling when you stop or turn a corner. Sometimes worse than others, but not good. It is worse by far when it is warmed up. I have played with the carb settings til I am blue in the face, I have raised the float level and I have checked for vacuum leaks in the engine compartment. I have been told that sometimes a leaky power brake booster can do this, though the brakes work fine. I have replaced the hose from the hard line to the engine but I have not done the one from the hard line to the booster itself. I am not confident in that, so I will replace it tomorrow.

So, all that being said, can anyone think of anything I might have missed? If this doesn't turn out to be it, I am at a complete loss.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Can you block off the line to the brake booster completely just for a test? That would eliminate a leaky booster diaphragm as well as the lines.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Yes, what oprn said. Disconnect your booster line at the manifold and cap the manifold. Let your engine warm up and take it for a ride, just be aware your brakes won't work as well. If you dont stall you figured it out.

I had a 71 bay 25 years ago with carb troubles that were booster related, replaced the lines and got a rebuilt booster and all was good. Those power disc brakes are nice.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

They are darn nice, I will admit! Unfortunately, as the vehicle becomes more complicated some of that golden simplicity starts to disappear!

Thanks, I will be going vacuum leak hunting tonight.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Tell us more about the rest of the engine compartment, stock aircleaner?, preheat hooked up and functional?, battery securely attached to it's tray?, harness that runs across the back of the shroud to the coil secured in it's tabs?, or dangling low and near the throttle cable?

How's the end play in this engine?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Believe it or not, it is a stock 71 spec dual port with all the things you mentioned, including air cleaner and wiring and everything. It just came off break in and has about 400 miles on it. This is why I am saying mystery! I am sure that I am going to be chasing a vacuum leak. Tomorrow night's project!

Thanks!

Chris
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

I looked at your pictures and it looks like you have an oversized crimp connector on the wire to your cut off jet? If that's the case you could have an intermittent short causing your problems. If there's no vacuum leak I'd check that out.
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

9/10 times stalling problems are timing related and not carb (ie lack of initial); I would verify everything ignition-wise first before looking at carb;
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Timiing is good, but I was planning to triple check that, as yes, most carb issues are actually timing! As for the crimp and pictures, I am not sure what pics you are looking at? I will check that, though I am pretty sure it's ok. I used pliers to tighten it up not long ago.

Thanks guys, more will be known later today.

Chris
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery stalling issue with 34-3 Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

I had this very similar problem on my 73 Thing that was with a pict 31 carb when purchased.

Would run, idle and drive fine but come to a stop or turn (usually just trying to stop) and it would cut off or almost cut off engine if I didn't feather the pedal.

Found problem was a stuck anti-diesel solenoid and a plain dirty carb - which led me to find a rusty gas tank that was pre-ethanol sealed - said sealer was now melting inside, ended up plugging the tank - a mess is what it was -apparently the PO ran cheap gas and let it sit to much.

Hope any of this helps!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: