Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Butterfly position at WOT
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Butterfly position at WOT Reply with quote

Been tinkering in the engine bay trying to find the slightest of hesitation under load.

While looking I got my wife to press the accelerator pedal while the car was off from idle to wide open throttle. The stock linage on the 32/34 pdsits only moves about 20-25mm and at wot the butterflies are only about 45° from horizontal. Is this right? I would of thought at wide open throttle the butterflies would be straight up and down (90° from horizontal)

I checked the accelerator pedal end and the main rod that the accelerator cable attaches to is up as high as it can be at idle as it’s resting on the footwell tin

The bell crank linkage is at a 45° to the join in the engine case like it appears to be in most other engines pictures I see, I guess I’m just questions if I’m getting full “throw” or if this is normal?

Seems to drive fine apart from this small hesitation I’m chasing
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Butterfly position at WOT Reply with quote

At WOT the butterflies should be vertical. Post a pic of the linkage when at idle, and also one at WOT.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Butterfly position at WOT Reply with quote

All sorted, I’m running a later 1600 twin carb twin port in an early car with early pedals suited for side draft. (Right hand drive Aussie car)

Measured a later pedal assembly and needed to add 25mm to the link rod that connects the accelerator pedal to the main pedal arm to get WOT on the solex linkage all operating as it should now as I measure a later model type 3 and it had more leverage on the pedals to compensate for more “throw”
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: