Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pans for all cars... experiences. DIY
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Floor pans for all cars... experiences. DIY Reply with quote

Happy Friday all!

Ive replaced floor pans on my former bus, a bug, and about 4 Chevelles over the years, and now I have the battery section and behind the passenger seat on my Squareback I need to tackle. For all my previous rides I've bought factory replacement sections, but this round I am curious about an alternative. I've seen so many custom builders, backyard mechanics, race cars, and such, making their own pans out of plain ol' steel.

My welding skills = 8/10 Laughing

What are your experiences with making your own panels for smaller sections? Keep in mind we aren't talking stock look, but safety and function, buying a sheet of metal wont have those nice factory ripples and lines, which I know to a degree serve strength, but as far as stock, this isn't a stock build so for that, not a concern. Hitting my metal shop and buying some, what 16-18 gauge steel and going for it is much more tempting that ordering a big pan.

Stories? Ideas? Thoughts?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pans for all cars... experiences. DIY Reply with quote

Absolutely go for it!

I've made a lot of parts for VW's and other cars from other bits of material than the original part where I was trying to save a car rather than make a show car. This was in part due to the cost of buying crappy aftermarket steel that doesn't fit anyway and needs fettling to make it fit.

In most cases this was not structural, but even if it was, I wouldn't hesitate to do so as long as my solution was structurally sound. I've tried to use original VW steel where I could so that the thickness and composition was the same, but on areas where I didn't have the piece, I've used steel from the shells of washing machines, fridges or any steel that is usable and rust free.

The argument around using flat unribbed steel is that if you provide some additional (read cheap) support like angle or SHS then it will be more than adequate. For the battery area, flat will certainly be ok. For the package tray, you might consider some extra support.

If the areas that are ribbed and rusty and the car hasn't folded in half, then your flat sheet repair with a bit of reinforcing IMO will be more than adequate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: