Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 speed tranny?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

Hey folks, woould it b a good/bad 2 drop a 5 speed tranny in, if good what kind or what capatible? Just looking 4 the pro/cons of it. Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options are aPorsche 901 5 speed or a Berg 5 speed.

This has been discussed many time recently, so do a search and you'll find plenty of info.

I have a Berg 5 in my 74 Beetle and love it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

FAT KUDA wrote:
Hey folks, woould it b a good/bad 2 drop a 5 speed tranny in, if good what kind or what capatible? Just looking 4 the pro/cons of it. Shocked

Waste of time and money. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
FAT KUDA wrote:

yes, but why is what he wants to know...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
FAT KUDA wrote:

Please explain... i'd like to know also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
attatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never pulled a VW apart and looked at the gears. Probably would be better of rebuilding the tranny versus putting in a 5 spd unless you have upgraded to a monster motor and really need an extra gear to make your car driveable
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No monster motor needed.

I wanted a true close ratio 4 speed, but with one, you can't cruise on the interstate.

With my 5 speed i've got 3.80/2.06/1.58/1.21/0.82 and a 3.875 r/p. I can rip up the street and cruise all day at 75mph.

But they are not cheap... a custom turnkey Berg 5 is $3000 plus options.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see like glenn that is how id like to cruz. but i would like 2 know "Y" waste of time and money. i intend to drive, i dont believe in building a car to sit in the garage, thats like buying a plasma tv and dont use it so it wont break, just want to enjoy my toy.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
krusher wrote:
FAT KUDA wrote:

yes, but why is what he wants to know...

Ok I was Tired when I gave my short answer so I wil elaborate.

It more depends on what you want out of your car Kuda. It would help if youpost what you think your gonna get froma 5 speed and then we can say wether you will get it or not.

Vw made some good choices with the type3, you have a 4th gear ratio that is similar to many cars 5th, its good for 70/75 crusing all day.

So if you go to a 5 speed your pros are closer ratios, and mabye even a taller 5th. (remember a taller high gear will demand more of the engine at the same speed)

cons, time and expense for what i think are little gains for a daily driver.

I know Glenn has a nice set up but ask him how much it coast for the engine and gearbox. Do you wanna spend that kinda money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the money factor was not a factor. What I mean by this is I wanted the 5spd because the freeway's I live near are 70mph and 75mph and on both if you are not doing 80+ your a$$ is getting run over. I also wanted the close ratio and better syncro's then a stock t3 tranny. I ended up going with the 901 and once I install it with the porsche shifter and all I feel it should work out real nice with my motor plans. So to go all new VW 5spd you are in the 3K ball park or if you go with the 901 you can do it for about half or less but their is a good amount of fab worh involved.

Kevin
05 Tube frame rockcrawler
04 Mini Cooper S
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed tranny? Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

Ok I was Tired when I gave my short answer so I wil elaborate.

It more depends on what you want out of your car Kuda. It would help if youpost what you think your gonna get froma 5 speed and then we can say wether you will get it or not.

Vw made some good choices with the type3, you have a 4th gear ratio that is similar to many cars 5th, its good for 70/75 crusing all day.

So if you go to a 5 speed your pros are closer ratios, and mabye even a taller 5th. (remember a taller high gear will demand more of the engine at the same speed)

cons, time and expense for what i think are little gains for a daily driver.

I know Glenn has a nice set up but ask him how much it coast for the engine and gearbox. Do you wanna spend that kinda money?

Exactly... it all depends on what you want.

First off a turnkey Berg 5 will cost between $3000 and $5000 depending on how you have it build. If you just get a core, install the kit and have new 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, then $3000. If you add some HD parts... $3500. Add a Rhino case... $4000. Add a ZF LSD... $5000

Now I wanted a close 4 speed and high highway speed cruising. So i wend with a 1.58 3rd and a 1.21 4th. For 5th gear i went with a Bus 0.82 4th. Yes... i can cruise all day at 47mph, but at 50 my engine is turning a bit slow and i don't like keeping it there for very long.

It also depends where your car is along it's project. My car was at the end of it's rebuild. It was painted, the interior was in, the engine was done. All I had to do was install the 4 speed and the engine and it was done. But it was already September and I decided that if I was ever going to have one built that was the time.

So for me it was the final touch... not one of the 1st things i'd do.

Is a 5 speed something you should do? I can't say, but I love mine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
FAT KUDA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, like rok i live by fast freeways, so thats why. i will try to b more specific in the future, but u all helped out. thanks..
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAT KUDA wrote:
Thanks guys, like rok i live by fast freeways, so thats why. i will try to b more specific in the future, but u all helped out. thanks..

I spent 3 months in the usa last spring, did 6000 miles in a 70 bus doing 50-65mph I never had a problem on the freeways. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
FAT KUDA wrote:

I spent 3 months in the usa last spring, did 6000 miles in a 70 bus doing 50-65mph I never had a problem on the freeways. Very Happy

I drove my 74 Beetle 3 times across the USA and for 450,000 with a stock 4 speed. I also never had a problem.

But if you want to go street racing and be able to cruise on the interstate... nothing beats a 5 speed.

No one ever said that you need a 5 speed. The question is "Do you want a 5 speed".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: