Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission swap
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cmosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Transmission swap Reply with quote

I have a 97' golf 2.0 with a automatic acting up.
Was thinking of swapping it with the 5 speed from the 85' jetta diesel.
Has anyone tried this one?
Thanks Curt
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. It should bolt up, in theory. But being that they are so different I think you would have a hard time getting the linkage worked out. I don't know much about MKIII's but if the auto (triptronic?) is computer controlled at all then you would need to get the ecu re-flashed to remove the codes for the auto tranny. I would hit junkyards and get the full setup out of the same body golf. Then you would be sure you would have everything that you would need.

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Cmosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the full jetta. It was going to be a driver, only a 113000 on the clock it ran great, until I took the pump off to have seals put in .
When i went and reinstalled it, had everything in place, hit my remote start button and it fired right up, and then proceeded to spit seeds and oil at me from the intake. Guess a mouse thought the intake was a good home.
As for the golf, My brother gave it to me from his car lot that he closed.
Needed a tranny (01m clk) when He bought it, and now has been replaced twice. He called it the hemroid car.
But the wierd thing is that you can disconnect the tcm to lock it up in 3rd gear get it going about 40 mph plug the computer in and it will work perfect. Run through all the gears with no problem. But stop and shut the car off and it is back to square one.
So I figured it would be good to put a hand shaker in and never worry about a auto again.
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been over to the vortex yet? They have a lot more people who are knowledgeble about water cooled cars. Me I know a little about MKI's and thats about it. But they have a very good MKIII section along with a Hybrid section as well. Look around for a while do some searches and see if you can find some info.

Here are a few links that you might find helpful.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=642018

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1735317

check those out and try asking the guys over at

[/url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=38[url]

Good luck.[/url]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
90golf8v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe all 4cyl trans from 85 to 99 bolt up the same i think just the ratios are different i put a trans from an 82 rabbit diesel in my 90 golf the axle flanges were different and the back trans mount was different but i made it fit. on your car i believe its the same the mk3 auto trans computer is under the back seat so im not sure if the ecu is different
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90golf8v wrote:
i believe all 4cyl trans from 85 to 99 bolt up the same i think just the ratios are different i put a trans from an 82 rabbit diesel in my 90 golf the axle flanges were different and the back trans mount was different but i made it fit. on your car i believe its the same the mk3 auto trans computer is under the back seat so im not sure if the ecu is different

You are correct. They will all bolt up and the diesel is a lower gear ratio, that's why it is used in drag racing. But I would be concerned with the length of the shift rods. They might be the same or they might not, I don't know for sure.

The ecu and the transmission control are two separate systems as you suggested. But I believe if you remove the trans control the ecm will be asking where the transmission went, hence the need for the re-flashing to remove the code. Again I am just guessing and do not know for sure.

90golf8v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was not for sure either but the shift roads are probably different from a mk2 to a mk3 but the trans is probably the same
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90golf8v wrote:
i was not for sure either but the shift roads are probably different from a mk2 to a mk3 but the trans is probably the same

Different gear ratios between diesel and gas and I think different flywheels, clutch and pressure plate. But in the end it will bolt up and mount in the car. Very Happy

Any luck yet Cmosh?

Cmosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Don't have time yet to take the jetta and golf apart.
I was looking at the steering rack and it looks like the shift linkage mount bosses are there.
Is the diesel flywheels heaver than a the gasser?
Hey GostaBerling I had a 78' westy, champange edition. Wish I never sold it,best camper made.
I see Your in mad town, I just moved out a year ago. Still work on the south side.
I also have a 93' eurovan that needs a head gasket. Another fun project.

Well, Time to put the kids to bed.
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I just moved in to mad town in November and used to work on the south side and my cabby needs a head gasket. I am flying out on Monday to DC to pick up the westy, after I get back I will be changing the head gasket and selling the cabriolet. Wife just wont let me keep them both Crying or Very sad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: