Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat cover kit question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: seat cover kit question Reply with quote

Any opinions for a quality seat cover kit for a 56.

thanks kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a beater TMI

For show Lenny Copp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: seat covers Reply with quote

About seat covers, Yes as the previous post said, if it isn't a show car but a daily driver / beater, TMI is a fine product. I've seen TMI in cars for sale for BIG #'s, kinda turns my stomach when I see a butcher job like that being touted as original / redone.

If you want any authenticity at all stay away from TMI Contact an outfit like BFY Obsolete or wolfsburg west, they will make / provide a historically correct reproduction in both color and style (within limits).

If you are restoring or showing, enhance the value and looks of your car by going with quality.

If money is a major issue, TMI is it. Cheap, (at least in looks) but then again, you get what you pay for! TMI will make your interior look like a 70's beetle, some like it, many do not unless, you have a 70's beetle.

BFY / WW will cost you, many times over TMI.

There are many other suppliers, some overseas that are outstanding but... once again $$$$$

Hog rings are touted as the proper install, don't believe it, they give you a bunchy ratty edge cover, not the smooth original look that is accomplished with wire and piercing flanges that are staked over.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: seat covers Reply with quote

thanks, ill make a call to bfy and WW. sounds like they make have what im looking for.

thanks again you post is exactly what i was needing for a decision on the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: covers Reply with quote

Hello again,

What is the color of your beetle ?? Wolfsburg west has an excellent color chart for various parts of the car if you are going for an accurate restoration.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the color is diamond green

Are you aware of the interior seat colors?

thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: seat colors Reply with quote

Hello again, yes I do have a life, I just enjoy this detective work!

1956 diamond green

L 412 Paint code Diamond green
L 211 Blue Green Wheel Rim color
L 277 Silver Beige Deluxe Hub COlor
580 Diamond Green sunroof fabric
P 131 Light Beige CLOTH interior
K 171 Light beige Leatherette OR...
K 178 Green Leatherette interior

H 120 Light beige HEadliner
278 Gray Beige Carpet
041 Black Rubber mats

A proper interior, seat covers and door panels will cost you about $ 1200 vinyl or about $ 1800 cloth.

Plus HEadliner and Carpet costs

Many of the original colors are not available aftermarket but many are.

Dave
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch, i'll use this info as the resto starts to roll. The only hikup so far is the diamond green paint code is not in all paint stores. I live near escondido and thought it would be easier to get this paint mixed....anyway, thanks for the info.

Kevin
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: diamond green Reply with quote

42135 PPG / Ditzler paint code

L412 diamond green VW code

Any reputable auto paint wholesale store shouldn't have any problem making you this color, A lot of NAPA stores can also help you with auto paint.

I'm on the opposite of the country here, we have a chain of stores called Colours which is a body shop supply source, look in the yellow pages, you've got them I am sure.

Dave
DCP527
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might want to check out Sewfine. http://www.sewfineproducts.com/catalogs.html

They can do a lot of custom/classic looking seats and door panels.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is going to install the interior?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: