Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan color?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

With new floor pans installed, and all the necessary bodywork being done to my Thing, I'm starting to think about getting her painted.

My question is: what exactly is the stock interior floor pan color for a Thing? Is it black, or were they painted to match the color of the car (i.e., white, yellow, or orange)?

Based on everything I've seen, I'm guessing the original color is black. If so, does anyone know if it's a flat, semi-gloss, or glossy black?

I'm going for a show-quality restoration here, so I want to get as close to stock as possible. Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

thing pans were semi gloss
thing bodies were semi gloss too.

if you paintyour car high gloss it will not be original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

The paint used on the floor pans was coded RAL 9005. Its not a VW color but rather a commercially used designation

Mike
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

So, what I just heard elsewhere is that the whole interior of the car (including the floors) should be one color, and it should match the exterior color of the car. I gather that this should also be a semi-gloss job, but I'm confused about the different non-VW paint code (RAL 9005) for floor pans - is this the paint used on pans as they are manufactured (i.e., the color before they are installed?)

Thanks
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

No. The floor does NOT match the interior. It should be black and semi gloss. Actually, I grew up with the little crayola box so my color sense is pretty crude, but I think it should be a black with a hint of dark green in it (kinda milky looking if that makes sense). I'm pretty sure its the same as the factory coating on bug floorpans --maybe someone over there has a color code?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

I have no color code, but also i know for sure that the pan has to be black, since i own two things.aircooled greetings from holland.
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

all Things floor pans were painted Azurite semi gloss black prior to assambling regarless of body color. This includes Acapulcos.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan color? Reply with quote

lastsafari wrote:
all Things floor pans were painted Azurite semi gloss black prior to assambling regarless of body color. This includes Acapulcos.

Is this the same color as RAL 9005 that was previously posted?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to expand on what Safari posted, all VWs of that era were painted with the same paint prior to having the body bolted in place. The paint is Azurite semi gloss black or at the car paint store RAL 9005. One of my current 73 Things has original paint on the bottom side of its pan. I also have a 73 bug parts car that has sections of the pan that still retains it factory paint and it is the identical color of my Thing's underside. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7T3Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the interior side is semi-gloss black, was the exterior side black as well, or body color?
Want to be as close to original as possible.
Thanks,
Dave
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the whole pan inside and out.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want your resto to last, I reccomend por 15ing the pans the useing their simi gloss black top coat, if done right your pans will never rust!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: