Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Built The First "Gazelle"?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

While most people seem to think Classic Motor Carriages originally created the "Gazelle" there is a lot of info missing on the company's "time line". As well as some confusing issues involving who actually designed the "Gazelle".
Apparently, the original Gazelle was around before CMC was. It was first sold as a turn key or in kit form by a company called Tiffany Motor Cars in Opa Locka Florida.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There have been some (undocumented) statements made that Tiffany Motor Cars was actually the same company and later became Classic Motor Carriages. While other reports claim that CMC just bought out Tiffany and acquired the "Gazelle" that way.
While yet other sources claim that it was actually Fiberfab, that originally designed and produced the '29 Benz SSK Roadster Replica "Gazelle" and that it was from Fiberfab that CMC acquired the production of it, when they purchased Fiberfab in 1983. The problem with that theory however is that CMC had already been producing "Gazelles" prior to the 1983 buy out of FiberFab.
It was said by some that it was actually the FiberFab "Gazelle" that CMC was selling all along. Finally acquiring the molds themselves when FiberFab threw in the towel in 1983.
Then there was the little "Benz Roadster" replica put out by Piper Automotive.

Though it was called the "Lance" not "Gazelle" it was almost identical to the early version of the FiberFab "Gazelle"

So with this being just a small portion of the conflicting history of the "Gazelle" with so little documented on the the topic, it leads me to the question:
(for anyone that may know for sure)

1970 Beetle 4 spd
[ Now I believe in Re-Incarnation ]
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so many kits of the past, that question may never be answered with any certainty. I'm fairly confident that Fiberfab offered it's version of the SSK as early as '76 - one version stood on a Chevette platform. I think the more accurate question is who created the first SSK replica, rather than "Gazelle" since several manufacturers took on making SSK's. "Gazelle" was a Fiberfab term, and stuck through several manufacturers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that photo says Poper Automotive. d'oh!

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Like so many kits of the past, that question may never be answered with any certainty. I'm fairly confident that Fiberfab offered it's version of the SSK as early as '76 - one version stood on a Chevette platform. I think the more accurate question is who created the first SSK replica, rather than "Gazelle" since several manufacturers took on making SSK's. "Gazelle" was a Fiberfab term, and stuck through several manufacturers.

Although Fiberfab was around since 1964, from everything I have been able to dig up on the subject, Tiffany Motor Cars was the earliest that was advertising the name "Gazelle". It also seems like I saw CMC full page ads from Popular Mechanics Magazine dated back to 73-74 (although I can't seem to find the file at the moment).

As for the SSK, that is another thing that is sorta strange. Everyone states that the "Gazelle" was a replica of the 1929 Mercedes Benz SSK, yet the rear of the '29 SSK was slanted on a hard slant with the spare tire laying down on it. The "Gazelle" actually looks more like the 1927 Mercedes Benz "S" type Sportwagen.

SBD wrote:

Which photo? Where?
1970 Beetle 4 spd
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A6ULdv8 wrote:
SBD wrote:

Which photo? Where?
I was talking about the Lance photo above, only now it says Piper Automotive. d'oh! Either somebody changed the photo or my meds are doing strange things to me. Maybe I need to get back to the street pharmaceuticals of the 1970's. Think The stuff the doctors prescribe never seem to have any consistency! Confused Dunno', maybe I just need more sleep! Anxious

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Don't worry SBD... I saw the same thing when you did - I had to look at that photo twice (it read "Poper" under "Lance"). And I'm not on meds... but maybe I should be...

As for the Tiffany Co., the only references to their cars I have on file only goes back to the late '70's. I'll have to sit down and go through some of my old (early to mid '70's) VW mags to see if there are any advertisements in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevecc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gazelle is a replica of a replica.

1965 Excalibur

1967 Excalibur
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
As for the Tiffany Co., the only references to their cars I have on file only goes back to the late '70's. I'll have to sit down and go through some of my old (early to mid '70's) VW mags to see if there are any advertisements in there.

Any info that you run across and want to share would be greatly appreciated Letterman. I have been trying to piece together the timeline of the "Gazelle" for well over a year now. It is quite illusive because of the sketchy and conflicting bits and pieces of information available.

In the early 80's there were dozens of companies popping up on the scene advertising the "Gazelle" body style in turn key version. Most all of which were indeed just that, "Gazelle". They were simply assemblers buying kit versions from the "Fab" and "CMC" and selling them in completed form. As for the actual forms that were producing bodies, and who actually owned them, it has been (and still seems to be) a mystery.

Someone however, must have registered the "Gazelle" logo (the name with the deer-like species leaping through the capital "G") thus creating the starting point of the timeline for the actual "Gazelle".
1970 Beetle 4 spd
wbulick76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a project Gazelle, and it has a tag from Tiffany Motor Cars on it. Number 181, deluxe. To contradict the original post though, it has opening doors, hood does not come down that far, and has corner bumperettes for the rear. Molded in the fiberglass behind the grille, is Tiffany and a patent date of 1976. I'm trying to research these too, just for my own curiosity. I'll try to post some pics this evening.
A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbulick76 wrote:
I just picked up a project Gazelle, and it has a tag from Tiffany Motor Cars on it. Number 181, deluxe. To contradict the original post though, it has opening doors, hood does not come down that far, and has corner bumperettes for the rear. Molded in the fiberglass behind the grille, is Tiffany and a patent date of 1976. I'm trying to research these too, just for my own curiosity. I'll try to post some pics this evening.

Fabulous wbulick76! First off, congrats on your new project. Secondly thanks for posting the info.
As usual, the new info totally derails the timeline of the Gazelle. (happens every time) Altering the chain of events, and readdressing the original question once again.
Adding yet another twist is the additional info that "T.M.C." held a patent on the Gazelle in 1976. Although we have confirmed that Classic Motor Carriages bought out Fiberfab in 1983, the connection between Classic Motor Carriages and Tiffany Motor Cars remains a mystery. Yet somehow all three companies put out the same car under the same model name.
Your "Tiffany" Gazelle having the quarter bumpers rear, and opening doors, is interesting as well. If the hood line is also changed, does it have the exhaust tubes as well? Is it a 2 or 4 seater? Any pictures you can post would be greatly appreciated.
I have been on this quest to put together the Gazelle's time line for quite some time, and would be pleased to combine anything your research uncovers.
I do have another thread on the topic in which I was collecting info on the differences between the different Gazelles. it is at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581684&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I'd love to hear more about your Gazelle, what stage of the project it is in etc. and see some pics? Have you started a thread on it?
I take it that your I.D. plate looks just like this one with the exception of yours stating 181 instead of 208?

Hope to hear more from you soon, and again, congrats on the new project.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
wbulick76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get some pics up tomorrow for you for sure. It's currently a "barn find" Gazelle. Was completely assembled at one time, but previous owner began disassembling it for some reason unknown. He then passed away, and it has sat for many years until his brother sold it finally. Mostly complete. Has a single port motor in it that does run. Just found the vin on the pan, so hopefully now I can determine what year the donor was. My ID tag looks just like that, only the number says D181. Looks like it never had running boards or exhaust pipes.
wbulick76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

Here's a quick pic of what it looked like when I first found it. It's actually just sitting together for the pic. I'll get some better detail shots tomorrow.
wbulick76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A6ULdv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it definitely has doors. They are shaped like early FiberFab Gazelle, or Piper "Lance" doors too. I would have suspected they'd be like the CMC Gazelle doors, but that's not the case.
I can't tell by the pics you've posted if it is a 2 or 4 seater though.
1970 Beetle 4 spd
wbulick76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a two seater. Gas tank is right behind the seats. More pics later today.
jerrydog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

Manufactured by piper aircraft company auto Div. in California under license from Mercedes in 1979. This is a factory manufactured vehicle. Full mustang runner gear with boss 302 v8 engine with four barrel carb. Power power and more power. Under 10000 miles. In excellent condition. Come with fully convertible top with side curtains for inclement weather..

I collect this car on 1st july

http://i.imgur.com/xo0khps.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F01BAGQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0SJPF1d.jpg
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

So exactly what does your V8 kit car have to do with the VW versions that were being discussed?

jerrydog1 wrote:
Manufactured by piper aircraft company auto Div. in California under license from Mercedes in 1979. This is a factory manufactured vehicle. Full mustang runner gear with boss 302 v8 engine with four barrel carb. Power power and more power. Under 10000 miles. In excellent condition. Come with fully convertible top with side curtains for inclement weather..

I collect this car on 1st july

http://i.imgur.com/xo0khps.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F01BAGQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0SJPF1d.jpg

Racing Dreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

We are looking at picking up a '29 Gazelle replica. It has the Ford v6 and auto tranny. But it does NOT have any paperwork. It is a CMC production that was never really finished. Almost, but not quite. Can someone tell me where the manufacturer plate may be located? Or where the Mustang frame Vin# could be located? We really want to get this car, but if there is no way to get a model id number or vin number, it would be virtually impossible to get it tagged here in our county. We have some extremely picky females working in the county clerks office. Down right BIDDIES!!!!

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Smile
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

It may not have a plate. Just look around for it though. It would be in a visible area like the luggage area, in the engine, compartment, etc. As far as the mustang frame vin......it would not have one because it does not use a mustang frame. It used a frame provided by CMC and then used Ford pinto components to finish it .

If it does not have paperwork it will be difficult to get.

Racing Dreamz wrote:
We are looking at picking up a '29 Gazelle replica. It has the Ford v6 and auto tranny. But it does NOT have any paperwork. It is a CMC production that was never really finished. Almost, but not quite. Can someone tell me where the manufacturer plate may be located? Or where the Mustang frame Vin# could be located? We really want to get this car, but if there is no way to get a model id number or vin number, it would be virtually impossible to get it tagged here in our county. We have some extremely picky females working in the county clerks office. Down right BIDDIES!!!!

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Smile

Racing Dreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Built The First "Gazelle"? Reply with quote

Thanks, Kitcarguy. Let me ask you a question. If the Ford v6 engine has a vin # on it, could I use it as the vehicle vin #? Or would I need that number off the plate stamping from CMC, if that plate is still on the car? Here's the link to our states form that I would have to fill out. "Complete VIN/Serial #" is the part in question.

http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/f1312901Fill-in.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: