Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi rear disk brake conversion, E-brake cable to short.HELP
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Empi rear disk brake conversion, E-brake cable to short.HELP Reply with quote

I purchased an empi disk brake conversion kit for my 1957 ragg top and all fit well except the emergency brake cable seems to short and from what I read there is aslo adjusters to use but doesn't say how or show you how and end of cable is too short IM NOT SURE if im suppose to use adjusters or not but they also dont fit this whole mechanism just has me going crazy please let me know if anyone out there has came across this problem thanks, --vw family
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Right? Your E Brake cables run to the top of the the E Brake Lever correct?

How much shorter are the cables?

Not sure what adjusters your talking about? What do they look like... Can you take a picture?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'short' is it? Are we talking inches or just a few milli/centimeters
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he posted some pics in the Gallery...

If it were me... I would grab some needle nose pliers and push it through.

I saw an Empi set of Cables that had a spring on the caliper side before the ball end of the cable. I wonder of that's what holding up the 1/2 inch that's needed to pass the end through the handle..?

If it is, I wound just cut the spring or move it out of the way...
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I posted pictures on my gallery I couldn't load them on here on the forum im sure it's possible nut I dont know how. But if you look at mu gallery yoill see pictures I took of how much shorter it is to the the handle and the adjusters are on there as well . Wondering if any of you guys have had this problem and what you did too fix it or what suggestions you have cause on the diagram it shows to use adjusters. Also the nuts that came in the package only fit the thread on the adjusters not the end of the actual cable its pretty weird set up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a 57' the handle it self tho is not original but it did match up really well to an original so I don't think its the handle
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy 2 stock clutch cables.

Call Control Cables in Santa Fe Springs.

Mail or Drop off the original cables with 2 new clutch cables.

Ask them to make/ match 2 new cables 1/2 longer.

Your looking at $40 including shipping. One week turnover.

Done.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last comment is probably the best way to go. However, to understand what you are dealing with, consider that in 1958 the hand brake cable tubes through the chassis were moved 50mm towards the front of the car. Assuming your disc brake cables were designed for the 58 and newer chassis, this would explain why they are too short.

You might be able to make them fit by shortening the flexible tubes on the cables but of course that again would require the correct tooling to do it properly and you're back to having someone like the shop CUBA mentioned to do it.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you would want to modify your pan. But, from the picts it looks like you could cut off enough of the tube coming out of the wish bones. Take the cables out first of course. I would measure first to see if it will give enough to allow the placement of the nuts and lock nuts on the cable ends. Just a thought! Good luck! Also another thought, check a few other handles to see if the bracket is welded in place a little further back on the handle.
'63 OG 117
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI advertises their kits for 1958 and later application - nothing for pre 1957.
1964 Chop Top
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for replying and helping me out with this .... to add to all questions. Yes the kit is for 58 n newer they said that tgis kits will worl for my 57 but I don't have original cable what is shown is what I got upon purchase my car was pretty bare I had to literary buy everything. So I guess my real question is have any one of you actually encountered this problem and what was you solution to it? That idea of getting new cables actually sounds like the best part I just dont see why they said it would work and charge an $100 for kit cables if it doesn't work just doesn't make sense. But the santa fe springs please I will call ask them see what they say thanks for that tip.. and all other tips as well if any one esle could somet7that woukd be great.

VW LIFE! 57' RAG TOP PROJECT PAN OF RESTORATION
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You're e-brake cables are too short to be used as they come with the kit. That's why the kit comes with these extentions-

Install these extentions and everything will work fine.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the question. ?.how? Those adjusters don't fit at all or is there a way to install tgem I can't find any online that sgows how to install tgem and that diagram that came in kit doesn't say orcshow much on how to eitger if you don't it or have pictures of it please send tgem gladly appreciate it thanks
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvmipis1 wrote:
But that's the question. ?.how? Those adjusters don't fit at all or is there a way to install tgem I can't find any online that sgows how to install tgem and that diagram that came in kit doesn't say orcshow much on how to eitger if you don't it or have pictures of it please send tgem gladly appreciate it thanks

I guess there's a problem with your keyboard. Rolling Eyes So your message is hard to understand.
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my keyboard was damaged, but my main problem is how to install those adjusters and if anyone has done it if they can show me or give a detailed message of how or if there is an other solution to this problem thanks
Izzygt500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going thru the same issue right now...

What i found out is that those "Extenders" are actually Shorteners (go figure) that's when the cables are too long, you cut the cable and use the shorteners, that's why the oposite opening is small.

In our case, it’s the opposite. What I’ve done, I drilled with a titanium coted drill bit the "extenders" and thread them to accept the threaded part of the cable, and I’m doing the installation tonight when I get home, got too late last night to test my new Extenders, so I’ll take some pictures. And hopefully that will work.
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great! Please post some on here so I could see how it comes glad to see im not the only with this issue pretty annoying ..pan off restoration aren't for the non so patient
Izzygt500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, it did work, i tested it and works fine. The last picture shows how the cable end retainer ball fitted just fine at the caliper.

Hope this will help you, you have to be very patient, when drilling, plus the "extender" Gets hot, use gloves.

nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck yeah!! thanks for the pictures this will help alot thanks izztgt500 ill save pictures and do it tihs weekend
CUBA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: