Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb setup help recomendations.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: carb setup help recomendations. Reply with quote

Hi guys just a little novice when it comes to carbs and need a push in the right direction. I have a stock 1600dp with a w100 cam that I am building. I am looking for a better exhaust carb combo for it for a little bolt on hp. I would like to go with the 4into1 header with megaphone stinger. Some other mods are solid piston ring set and ccompetition 3 angle valve job. I was thinking that I could get the empi or weber single 40mm dual barrel carb dialed Iin, but I would hate to overcarb or miss a better exhaust carb combo without asking first. I am just going for a mild street for daily driving and economy. sorry if if the question is not as performance as you would expect in this section.lol thanks.
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single carb setup is not going to give much improvement. Dual kadrons are easy to tune and you will get more HP for your money. I would stay away from a stinger for the street. A better choice would be something with a muffler for some back pressure.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual 40 Idf's and a 1 3/8 header will wake it up and I run open stingers but I don't live in L.A.,LOL
Single IDF is a bitch to tune Crying or Very sad Duals are the way to go.
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not post here to get optimal hp performance advice. I wanted to get the most hp and reliability I can out of a carb maybe with a some fuel economy sacrificed. the dual 40s would run terible in cold weather and basicaly any dual carbs are susceptible to icing so what would I do in cold weather?. the stock is no good with a stinger and a mild cam. I like the 40 hpmx centermount, but I hear nothing but bad about empi carbs, and cant afford genuin weber's. they look very similar though. I think it also says in the hot rod book that idf's dont do so well on gas on the centerstand. I always hated carburetor I never can find the right setup. progressives look alright, but they are a stock looking carb and I plan on having the decklid off to showoff the motor and they also say they need a va dissy to work right and I have an 010 on it. thats kinda why I was leaning towards the centermount. if there is nothing terrible that anyone will say about it, or better advice offered I guess I will just go with that. thanks guy anyway.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage to dual carbs is that they are heated so well from the motor, the disadvantage for center mounts is that they need the preheat system and a correct manifold to work correct.

If you do a centermount HPMX, make sure you get a manifold that has the preheat from the base of the manifold to the base of the carb. You should also read "How to make a progressive work correctly" on here by searching it out to see why and how to do the exhaust preheat right if you are going to an aftermarket exhaust. I know you don't want ot do a progressive, but the exhaust preheat advice will be the same.

Single IDF or HPMX carbs should be set up different from dual carbs, so do your research on that or buy the carb from someone that will set it up for your motor.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No icing with dual IDF's and I live on the 'Polar Equator'!!!!!!
no chokes ether Wink pump it a cpl. times and fire right up
I've had them on a "bone stock" 1600 w/header.
and this is the best part,,,,,,,
Better MPG then the stock carb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
because they run mostly on the idle jets until u get on it Wink Cool Cool Cool
absolutely the best mod/bolt on a guy can do to a 1600,, other then a turbo Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would I do in cold weather?.

cold weather In LA?

mine will start in sub zero canadian weather with dual 36 dells, yes, it has to warm up for a couple minutes with no chokes but it runs fine.

Don't get stuck in the single carb is simpler mind set, our aircooled motors have been proven to run better on duals, VWs luxury line of Type 3's came stock with dual carbs for a reason.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so much great advice! I didn't think anyone was gonna add anything else. I never thought of a self heating system, but doesn't that counter act in hot weather? I emagine the hp gains would still outway the losses with duals though. I did not mean to snip at anyone im just got empty pockets and lots of thoughts in my head right now, so I'm trying to make some value of my time. like I said I hate carbs they are always hard to get set up right. I decided to get rid of the 010 and get an svda with my stock 34 pic and focus more on the appearance of the "car" instead of engine performance mods. my first bug was a pos bone stock in horrible condition. Baby blue that looked like a porta potty, but I still liked to drive it. I will post some pics in a build thread when im done and let you guys see the finished product if anyone is still interested in bugs by then lol. I think the stock look with some dressings would look better anyway on a cal look with a roof rack and no decklid. Maybe baby webers or epcs next best thing but why I already have the 34 rebuilt. Prob convinced me though with a dual set over a centermount for overall improvement. Hey learn somethin everyday. thanks
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want good MPG,, leave the roof rack at home Wink
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned possibly running a center mounted single carb, I suggest the best one on the Market, you can flip through the photos here and aircooled.net and DRD sell it, maybe even Redline if you can get through to them, point, it is the best on the Market for you can see in the photos how the routing of Heated Air from the Exhaust goes and cirulates around up to the base of the carb. All other one's fail at doing this in my studies.... I run one of these on my Street Rail and about after 15 mins of idling or like 5 mins of driving in 30 degrees weather things heat up and the carb is ready to go.....

Oh, something else I run a 44 IDF on a 2110, but bet it would be way to big, maybe a Dell DRLA 36 maybe best for your engine being on the smaller side or maybe a 40 if you can get the smaller vents.... RB

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Deluxe-Centermount-Intake-Manifold-Kit-Weber-IDF-p/99004.315.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: