Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

starting to get an idea Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Finished the restoration of the fresh air control
I repaired the flapper knobs in place and repainted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
technik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

nice work.
Did you make that seal or can you buy them?
I didn't realise theres one there.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

technik wrote:
nice work.
Did you make that seal or can you buy them?
I didn't realise theres one there.

I found a thin piece of a foam rubber like material at a hobby shop and I just made one to put there. I believe I found one there when I took the car apart.
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

That's looking real slick! Smile
ibilisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:

What did you use to repair the flapper knobs? One of my knobs is loose on the peg because of a small crack and the cracks look like they could spread. Yours look great.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

ibilisi wrote:
djway3474 wrote:

What did you use to repair the flapper knobs? One of my knobs is loose on the peg because of a small crack and the cracks look like they could spread. Yours look great.

First I flood the cracks with a thin super glue, then I move up to a thicker super glue. The thin glue will seep into the very fine voids and the thicker will help fill the cracks. Use a full thick super glue to fill any remaining imperfections and then sand the surface to get it all smooth. This is an old scale modeling trick.
The next step if done correct will perfectly match the factory knob.
Get a two part resin kit. Most of the resins when dry come out the exact beige color you want. Tape off the rest of the arm so when you stand it upright to let the excess flow off it wont create a mess. When the resin just starts to thicken you dip the knob several times to build up a coating. It may take two attempts to get full coverage. Use a sanding stick to square up the flat parts on the arm and buff it up a bit and you are good to go.
If it is not covering then you can get a can of Stone Beige from Wolfsburg West and spray it.
You can use the super glue trick as step one for restoring a steering wheel if you have sections that are not tight on the metal inner frame.
ibilisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
ibilisi wrote:
djway3474 wrote:

First I flood the cracks with a thin super glue, then I move up to a thicker super glue. The thin glue will seep into the very fine voids and the thicker will help fill the cracks. Use a full thick super glue to fill any remaining imperfections and then sand the surface to get it all smooth. This is an old scale modeling trick.
The next step if done correct will perfectly match the factory knob.
Get a two part resin kit. Most of the resins when dry come out the exact beige color you want. Tape off the rest of the arm so when you stand it upright to let the excess flow off it wont create a mess. When the resin just starts to thicken you dip the knob several times to build up a coating. It may take two attempts to get full coverage. Use a sanding stick to square up the flat parts on the arm and buff it up a bit and you are good to go.
If it is not covering then you can get a can of Stone Beige from Wolfsburg West and spray it.
You can use the super glue trick as step one for restoring a steering wheel if you have sections that are not tight on the metal inner frame.

Nice! Thanks for the info/tips!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Installed the front to rear harness with a second harness to run gauges, reverse light and hazard light. Installed the rear defroster tube and the two fresh air controllers up front. I seem to have lost a few small wires so hopefully I can get them replaced.

Fresh air flapper arms and cables and more wiring are next.
Nice to see it going together.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Working on lots of the small parts.
here is a picture of how the glove box came out with the felting. I used Nylon fibers.

Apparently there are many electrical components on these low lights that are not fused.
I am considering using a headlight fuse box that also adds a fuse for the low beams. I am going over the schematics to see if any other systems really need to be fused.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Your ghia is coming along nicely! I like builds like these, not a lot of flash but very well done! I want to see that "finished" picture of the car but we all know that a ghia is never finished! Laughing
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Love seeing that Dolphin Blue. I dream on.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The grab handle with my home made seals installed

Fresh air controls and gauge rings installed

I stitched the back side of the grab handle. I have never seen an original so I don't know if they did this or not.

Threw a little satin nickle on the radio faceplate to freshen it up.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Dash looks fantastic, what color is it ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Dolphin blue
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

A little bit more work done

The glove box looks better than I hoped.
I used a box protector from a later Ghia to keep the box from collapsing.
Working on the wiring and setting up the new loom for the gauges.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I should have said this earlier. I really enjoy your build thread. Your attention to detail and innovative solutions to problems especially.
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

That's a beautiful car! Is that a Type 3 faceplate?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Exaktaphile wrote:
That's a beautiful car! Is that a Type 3 faceplate?

I believe so. I used Satin Nickle to repaint the center and it matched perfectly. It was bent when I received it but not bad now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: