Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG6 and beyond
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Anyone else's exhaust pop upon deceleration like mine?

Link
[/url]
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Mine does. Not sure that there is anything that can be done about it. I am using the different Walker muffler. I might even get some occasional popping at highway speeds, under minimal load of the engine. Under acceleration, all seems good. As you probably see, it is really hard to get good audio of it. I am guessing that it has to do with the exhaust system being so short? Don't see many vehicles that have the header, cat, then muffler with literally no piping in between. If anyone else can chime in, I would sure like to get some others thoughts on it. Just giving my experience so far, with few miles on the conversion.
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

I did discover a very slight leak at the clamp but I doubt that is what's causing it to sound that way.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Regarding the accelerator cable, I just installed mine. This is an 86 manual, 2WD, I'm not sure if there are differences between the years, and the Bostig install is RG7.

I installed the cable with a curve above the engine as in the Bostig photo then went straight out below the "firewall", then down to the double hole through the frame, and followed the exact same path as the original VW cable, through the tunnel above the fuel tank, and straight into the front bracket.

The housing was about 4 inches too long for the front bracket at this point, so I went back under the van in the middle, and just pulled the cable gently towards the driver side in an arc, and zip-tied it to the frame in a couple spots there, and that made it just the right length.

I used bits of fuel hose and zip ties to attach it in several spots, to prevent chafing and moving around too much.

I also didn't bother bending the rear tab out front, as recommended in the doc, as the cable went through both tabs just fine.

once at the connection to the pedal linkage, I made sure the pedal was kept all the way up, pulled the linkage towards the back and pulled the cable tight into it by hand.

If you are by yourself, you can use your phone camera to check for operation of the throttle lever when depressing the pedal:

Link
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

torchmonkey wrote:
Anyone else's exhaust pop upon deceleration like mine?

Perhaps not quite as many pops as yours, but yes, I get pops on decel. I've thought about it a few times but don't worry about it. On old motorcycles this is unburnt gas igniting in the exhaust. I don't worry about it on old motorcycles either. Perhaps some tuning might help but..I don't worry about it.

I'll be interested to hear if I should worry about it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Battery re-locate causes a problem Reply with quote

[EDIT; This post originally detailed a problem that I resolved quickly. It was so unique to my car I think it has little to help others. But since I can't delete it, I'll rewrite it in a way that could possibly help someone else.]

I encountered a problem at a very late stage in the conversion. One of my last jobs was to run the MIL wire. I needed to find an always-on spade in the fuse box so, for the first time since I started, I connected the battery. Nothing happened, which was at first a relief (no sparks). But when I turned the ignition on, nothing at all happened; no lights in the dashboard, no current anywhere that I could find in the fuse box. Also, no dome light, no headlights, no wipers.

Conclusion below...

Last edited by Reck on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

In your distribution box, upper right hand top, you have a Bostig wire connected. Where did you connect the other end? Should be on the starter post.

You also have the red and red/white wires that go to the ignition switch on the steering column. Did you forget those when you moved the battery?

The power wire to your fuse box, what's it connected to? If left dangling in space, that would explain a lot.

Hope this helps.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

No, decal popping if the mixture is correct and the exhaust is sealed. If you use a different muffler than what is recommended it may have lower back pressure. But if the kit is installed correctly, there should be NO popping.
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
In your distribution box, upper right hand top, you have a Bostig wire connected. Where did you connect the other end? Should be on the starter post.

You also have the red and red/white wires that go to the ignition switch on the steering column. Did you forget those when you moved the battery?

The power wire to your fuse box, what's it connected to? If left dangling in space, that would explain a lot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks JudoJeff, as ever you're an asset to this community. I woke up this morning with what's probably the answer; must have been dreaming the problem all night. It is related to what you said.

My Westy came to me from my inlaws who had it since new. The battery was always under the rear bench. I slowly became aware that was not stock. It was done well, so I think the dealership did it.

The old heavy gauge wire coming aft from the front battery box terminated at a cobbled-up coupling on the non-stock main battery wire just before it connected to the starter. When I relocated my battery two feet over under the seat, I replaced the non-stock battery cable leading to the starter. I decoupled the old feed that goes forward, thinking it just terminated in the front box. I trimmed off the old coupling and tied the cable off to the main wire for future use in an aux-battery setup. In so doing, I must have cut the front of the car off through some second path I wasn't aware of. If I'm right the solution is easy.

[EDIT: I reconnected the cable which I thought just went to the old battery box. The front of the car came back to life. Jim Akiba said it well: "Ha, yeah this is why even simple undocumented mods can cause problems, imagine a whole conversion done the same way, with no docs or idea specifically how it was done... Like just about any subaru based one..."

Last edited by Reck on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gary17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Can someone with the hcop experience tell me how to change the orientation for the dipstick. Nothing I do seems to move it away from the pick up tube.

thanks
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

I didn't touch the dipstick at all during my HCOP install, and that is not mentioned in the doc. You should probably contact Jim for advice.
Gary17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Thanks Guybrush.
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Quote:
No, decal popping if the mixture is correct and the exhaust is sealed. If you use a different muffler than what is recommended it may have lower back pressure. But if the kit is installed correctly, there should be NO popping.

Correct mixture will be taken care of by the ECU? No?
I've tried repeatedly to get that to the clamp to seal, seems to me that the curved tubing from cat to muffler does not have enough of a straight run on it to seal the muffler connection. Trying to get a straight section to seal over a curved one just will not work. I'm having it welded. Will report results.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Speaking of muffler, I have the 17904 and I like the clearance it gives from the A/C compressor, but it is very loud.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
Speaking of muffler, I have the 17904 and I like the clearance it gives from the A/C compressor, but it is very loud.

Darn. I have 17904 in a box to install but I was hoping it wasn't louder than the recommended muffler. When you say loud, are you comparing to the Bostig recommended muffler?

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

I'm not comparing as I never installed the original one, it's still in the box. I was thinking of selling it since it's unused. I was worried about the muffler being too close to the A/C compressor and lines and when I read about the 17904 option, I bought it as it was much cheaper. Cut a clearance notch in the rear valence for the tip (my van is not the prettiest one around so that's not a big deal).

One thing I don't like is that the curved portion of the cat doesn't end up pointing straight back, and setting up the muffler to be mostly straight back (vertically in particular) seems to put a strain on the flex connection.

I think it's sealing well at the clamp, and I used the Walker sealing compound. The loudness (deep throaty sound, not unappealing, but can be heard and felt inside the van, which is the problem for me) can be heard directly out of the tip, not near the connection.

I might bring the other exhaust up to it to check the clearance and install it to see if it's better noise wise. At first I couldn't really tell since I ended up having large cracks in the exhaust manifold, and that part was even louder.

I have the skid plate installed and I'm planning to fab something to attach to it and protect the A/C pulley, as well as act as a heat shield between exhaust and compressor/lines.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

I have used both the stock Bostig muffler and the 17904 and they are not noticeably different in sound or loudness.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

So they are both just loud? Smile
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

It is true that I have had conversations with both my brother and my wife, who have witnessed my arrival in the van on several occasions, and both have said that when I turn the corner of the street, about 150 feet away from them, that they hear the van coming with its distinct exhaust note.

However, I was driving a friend the other day and he has a Subaru conversion. He said my van was quieter than his. We were doing 70 mph on country roads.

I would not call it loud at all, and my hearing is sensitive. It is distinct and noticeable at certain RPMs, but loud is not how I would describe it.

Also, "loud" can be different things. Loud to the interior passengers of the van, or exterior observers? How much sound deadening is there in the van? Is there a tintop, poptop, or some other top? All these circumstances are different.

It's impossible (and a waste of time) to try to qualify sounds on an internet forum.

kourt
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 and beyond Reply with quote

At idle, with the van open, standing near the back, or out front, it is loud as in loud deep bass, closer to a motorcycle than a car (except with no puttering). Louder than the WBX setup was, louder than my old Volvo, or any car I've ever owned. It has nothing to do with sound deadening at this point. Just a comment on the amount of noise that comes out of the muffler at the back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: