Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Crunchie '87 Syncro Tin Top Overlander. (Pic Heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdenette wrote:
My release shaft sized to the bushing so bad trying to remove it destroyed everything. I ended up purchasing a 2wd transmission and swapping the bell housing over to my Syncro transmission to be able to drive my van I think the VW engineers had it right making the bushing the sacrificial part.

Thanks for the corroborating follow up! I will add this to the original post as well and keep a closer eye on that bushing. It seemed like a no-brainer, but deserves further scrutiny and I will report back if notice anything.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the seemingly endless discussions on axle brands and quality. I ended up going with the EMPI axles, simply to test them out for myself. It was cost effective to give them a shot and I will be refurbishing my originals to have on hand for spares, should it come down to that. I also gave a fair amount of consideration to the stronger axle upgrade options available, but decided to stick with the standard ones. At the end of the day, I would rather break an axle that I can replace in a pinch and not something more expensive. Once again factoring in the fact that I do not plan to do any super heavy off-roading and sticking with reliability/simplicity agenda. Black positive battery cables are a pet peeve of mine and my original cable ends were showing significant corrosion, so I made up a new insulated one. I also like to use military spec battery terminals, which requires lug ends on the cable. This just makes it a little easier when doing electrical work and upgrades down the road. I will also add in a battery kill switch at some point. Thanks to Hodokaguy and others …

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=160

I pulled back the boots on the ball joints to inspect the grease and came up with similar results on the Febi/Bilstein, there is no excuse for that. The Lemförders however, were spot on. I picked up a rebuilt power steering rack, and set about detailing it. The vent fittings on the rebuilt unit were rtv’d into place and one of them had been kinked a bit. I swapped them with my original ones and installed them with new o-rings.

TIP:

Save the dust cover where the steering knuckle/joint attaches to the rack. It would seem most rebuilds do not come with one on there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to get as much prepped as possible before removing the rest of the suspension, so broke out my inner contortionist and worked my way around the front sub-frame. I also hit up the fender wells. I had been brainstorming for a while, on how to achieve a better lifting point for the front. These vans were built when in-ground lifts were more common, where the lifting arms would stretch out from the center. More modern above ground lifts reach in from the outside, making it much more difficult to hit the right spot. I would usually find myself searching for a riser and lifting farther inboard. My solution was to fab up a ¼” plate steel gusset to bridge the gap between the forward frame members and box it in. I left the back side accessible, so I could get a wrench in there. I then took a BMW lift pad (part number 51-71-7-039-760) and pushed out the center pin and lopped off the protrusions on the back side. This let me simply attach it with a bolt and lock nut. It is the perfect size to lift the van uniformly and level without any fuss. It is always nice to have an extra jack point as well. This quickly turned out to be my favorite modification. Very Happy

DISCLAIMER:

Safety is paramount when lifting a vehicle and modifying any part of the body to accommodate lifting should only be performed by a professional. It is the responsibility of the fabricator/installer to verify feasibility and safety of such modifications.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to address the insulation on my engine cover, as it was crumbling and falling apart. Every time I would shut my engine lid, it would shower the engine compartment with black dust. It was also pretty well saturated with soot, oil and who knows what else. I wanted to give myself a little extra clearance for the oil cap/air circulation with the contour valve cover and some added all-over heat protection. I stripped the factory insulation and cleaned it up with some adhesive remover. Since the cover was permanently stained in several places, I painted it white and then clear coated it. I had no idea there was an o-ring in there lol. I used a Boom Mat product (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-050508) to replace the factory insulation and I covered the seams with heat resistant tape (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-350114 not pictured). I will lose some sound deadening properties (not as much as one might think), but there will be carpet and a rubber mat later on, with a mattress. It was an acceptable sacrifice to me, for the gain.

DISCLAIMER:

This has nothing to do with the Bostig conversion. Bostig supplies their heat shield for the engine cover, designed to work with factory insulation and the Focus Zetec valve cover.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to mount the indicator lights in the switch blank for the time being, as I did not want to modify the cluster at this time. That might change at some point in the future though. I opted to go with the Small Car Performance big brake upgrade for the front and modified Eurovan steel wheels from GoWesty. I wanted to steer clear from wheel spacers and still have enough room around the caliper to run wheel weights on the inside. I will however, most likely need to run ball joint spacers. The wheels come in an argent silver type of color that I was not crazy about. I ran them through the media blaster and painted them BMW Space Grey Metallic (Paint Code A52). An advantage to this color is that I can keep a paint stick on hand for touch ups, if needed. The tires are 215/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, which I have been very happy with on other vehicles.

TIP:

The Eurovan wheels are currently not listed on GoWesty’s site as they are looking for a new supplier (last I heard). You can still get the wheel directly from VW (part number 7D0-601-027E, the E makes a difference), but the hub center will need to be machined out.

Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to the point of pulling the rest of the suspension and everything went pretty smooth. I had been soaking some fasteners for a while, that I thought might be problematic. I have never been a fan of drum brakes. I honestly do not think you gain much in actual braking performance by changing to disk, but the ease of maintenance and simply being able to keep them clean is enough for me. I also boxed up the front diff, for its journey out west.

kybishop
Samba Member

Location: Where the wind is blowing, the mountains calling, and the adventure waiting

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most beautiful threads I've seen; thank you so much for all the pictures! Pretty much every part of your van looks clean enough to eat off of. Very Happy
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kybishop wrote:
This is one of the most beautiful threads I've seen; thank you so much for all the pictures! Pretty much every part of your van looks clean enough to eat off of. Very Happy

Hey, I appreciate that! I found myself searching out pictures often for reference, so glad to help add to the collective.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried on with breaking down the suspension components, while cleaning up the last few rough spots on the van. Whatever I could not fit into the press, I managed with a bench vise and some sockets. I added a little extra weld on the upper rear spring perch/bump stop, as they have been known to come loose.

TIP:

I engrave the passenger side components with a “P”, so everything goes back in the same place. Any distinguishing mark will do, of course.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running unmodified Eurovan 15" wheels on mine. I have no issue with running spacers with T3 Technique lug bolts and I have driven over stuff that 90% of the vanagons here will never try or consider a road...

I wanted the Eurovan wheel because it's extremely tough and thick. More metal, less taco. Stock they are 44et and I added 15mm spacers to make the effective et 29. Very close to stock! Your 16" are probably et49?

I didn't want to modify them because if I did happen to taco one (or three since I carry two spares), in a pinch I can get a stock VW wheel 5x112, 15x6 et44 nearly ANYWHERE in the world, and only have to change tires. Likely overkill, but just trying to think ahead.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I'm running unmodified Eurovan 15" wheels on mine. I have no issue with running spacers with T3 Technique lug bolts and I have driven over stuff that 90% of the vanagons here will never try or consider a road...

I wanted the Eurovan wheel because it's extremely tough and thick. More metal, less taco. Stock they are 44et and I added 15mm spacers to make the effective et 29. Very close to stock! Your 16" are probably et49?

I didn't want to modify them because if I did happen to taco one (or three since I carry two spares), in a pinch I can get a stock VW wheel 5x112, 15x6 et44 nearly ANYWHERE in the world, and only have to change tires. Likely overkill, but just trying to think ahead.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that there are any issues with running spacers. It is just a personal preference thing and yes, the et49. You didn't have to open up the hub center on the 15's? I can appreciate a little overkill lol and I am still debating if I want to carry two spares or not.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished up the underside, while waiting on parts to get back from powder coat. I decided to black out the wheel wells, as I will most likely Line-X the bottom section of the van. I am not 100% on that yet, but I can change it later if I decide otherwise. It was a long road to get to this point and to finally start making the turn to putting parts back on was pretty awesome! The green section on the rear cross member, is just a detail, in case I ever need to indicate to someone else where it is ok to lift.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfarkin beliveable
outstanding work. should be on display in a museum.. to those of us fromthe rust belt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
You didn't have to open up the hub center on the 15's? I can appreciate a little overkill lol and I am still debating if I want to carry two spares or not.

Since I am using 15mm spacers, the large diameter doesn't come into play. It stands it off far enough from the hub it's not needed.

With 49et, don't forget to clearance your rear trailing arms before you pretty them up! I think it's going to be pretty close to the wheel/tire. I have about stock clearance on mine, enough for 4 wheel chains in the super slick mud Smile

And while I still haven't used even one spare yet, my friend had a blow out in his Jeep last weekend, unrepairable with a plug kit. Put on his spare and has to hope he doesn't get another one of those out in the middle of nowhere! Dual spares are nice, but add weight too, each one of mine weigh 55 pounds (eurovan 15" wheel with BFG AT 215/75-15). I also carry a tire plug kit and compressor.

Oh, and I really like these valve stem caps: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=200
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
unfarkin beliveable
outstanding work. should be on display in a museum.. to those of us fromthe rust belt.

Thanks! I feel pretty lucky to have found a solid van on the east coast and I used to live in NY, so I know where you are coming from.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Signalocity wrote:
You didn't have to open up the hub center on the 15's? I can appreciate a little overkill lol and I am still debating if I want to carry two spares or not.

Since I am using 15mm spacers, the large diameter doesn't come into play. It stands it off far enough from the hub it's not needed.

With 49et, don't forget to clearance your rear trailing arms before you pretty them up! I think it's going to be pretty close to the wheel/tire. I have about stock clearance on mine, enough for 4 wheel chains in the super slick mud Smile

And while I still haven't used even one spare yet, my friend had a blow out in his Jeep last weekend, unrepairable with a plug kit. Put on his spare and has to hope he doesn't get another one of those out in the middle of nowhere! Dual spares are nice, but add weight too, each one of mine weigh 55 pounds (eurovan 15" wheel with BFG AT 215/75-15). I also carry a tire plug kit and compressor.

Oh, and I really like these valve stem caps: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=200

Ah, I get it.

I test fit anything I am not 100% sure on and there is a good amount of room left on the rear trailing arms. If I feel like I really need to run spacers later on down the line for some reason, I have long enough lug bolts (from Chris at T3 as well) to allow for most anything.

The dual spares will come down to whether or not I will add an auxiliary tank or carry Jerry cans. I am still up in the air on a few details.

Thanks for the heads up!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what a nice build! I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

hans j wrote:

I never once thought about dual spares...until I had to install my one spare 3/4 of the way through Fin N Things during SS4. That made me seriously contemplate adding a second spare, even though I too carry a plug kit and compressor.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never met but - I'm proud of you.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Man, what a nice build! I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

hans j wrote:

I never once thought about dual spares...until I had to install my one spare 3/4 of the way through Fin N Things during SS4. That made me seriously contemplate adding a second spare, even though I too carry a plug kit and compressor.

It is one of those things that I bounce back and forth on inside my head. Gas/Spares/Tools/Weight and what is the best balance. Then there is always Murphy and his law to contend with.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
We've never met but - I'm proud of you.

*Brofist*
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 33

Jump to: