Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Differences
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Tire Differences Reply with quote

Ok, keep in mind that I am poor...

...in taking a closer look at my tires, I noticed that the two front tires are sized at 185, and the two back tires are sized at 195. Also, there are three different brands of tires on there, and only one tire 'seems' to be what the heavy Westy needs as the max. tire pressure is 55 psi for that tire.

I pretty much only do in-town driving, so, my question is this - am I safe, for now, in keeping these tires, or do I need to spend the approx. $400 to get the correct ones now (don't forget the first line of this forum)?

Thank you!

1980 VW Westfalia
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185 in the front and 195 in the rear is a pretty neat combo for the tail heavy, high reving Vanagon. If the tires are rated for the load and you are not going too fast or far they should be OK *IF* they are not cracking. If they handle OK for you fine. If not, do something.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one of the tires seems to have the correct load - the other three are not the correct tires. And since I don't know the difference between having the better tires for a better ride and not having them, I am fine with how the van rides. I will keep my eyes on the tires, though. I noticed that the sidewall on one of the back tires has a couple of waves in them, which I know can't be good, but I figure since I am only doing in-town driving, hopefully I'll be good until I can scrape up $350-400.

1980 VW Westfalia
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your life worth.

I think its worth at least $400.00

Rolling Eyes

Do the right thing and at least be able to sleep at night with the right tires!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the tires on 90 days same as cash and pay one third per month and with the third payment you are done. I've done that.

Use a credit union credit card with a low interest rate.

You MUST have the correct load rating with a Westy.

You do not want to have a tire failure. It can be real bad in that heavy van.

You can go cheap too. I thought I saw Vanco 8s in 185 for $52 or $56 each. GOOD TIRE for the Westy.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick check. The correct tire: Vanco 8 in 185 is $52 from Discount Tire. Plus tax and $10 per tire mounting and balance. Then there are a few dollars to toss you old ones away.

So that is:
$208+tax+$40+$20=$268+tax or less than $300

Got to be worth that, right?

pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice....you guys are right. Ok, so, the Discount Tire place is on-line? Do I just order the tires and take them to a tire place? Also, what is the price difference for the 195s? How well are those tires in the snow? Thanks guys!

1980 VW Westfalia
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have gone to the Discount Tire website. After punching in where I live and the tire size (195 70 14), they came back with tires that I haven't heard as being recommended for the heavy Westy. Also, when I do a search by brand, there are no Agilis (by Michelin) or Vanco 8s (by Continental). Am I on the wrong website or is it because of where I live that they don't have the right tires for the Vanagon?

1980 VW Westfalia
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which great american city are you in??
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocvw wrote:
Ok, so I have gone to the Discount Tire website. After punching in where I live and the tire size (195 70 14), they came back with tires that I haven't heard as being recommended for the heavy Westy. Also, when I do a search by brand, there are no Agilis (by Michelin) or Vanco 8s (by Continental). Am I on the wrong website or is it because of where I live that they don't have the right tires for the Vanagon?

Tire Rack has them. But your correct size is 185R14. Look on your door post or by the steering column for the correct tire size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Continental&model=VANCO-8
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not shure that you'd get a 'deal' on the mount and balance unless you go to a phisical store....maybe :shrug:

call a service station and ask what mount and balance for all 4 if you get 'em online. Wink

there are plenty of hills around town (here anyway) and it's a seriously sick feeling sliding into someones rear end on a rainy day, if you hit them, it's way worse !! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the correct size is 185s, but I can go with the 195s, right? So, if I order these on-line, then I am going to have to find someone to mount them (I wonder what they'll charge me to mount them knowing that I didn't buy their tire?).

I live in Pocatello, Idaho, btw. Not much selection around here (Les Schwab, Big O, Commercial, Tire Factory, and some local places). Anyway, I like the 195s because they are just a bit wider. Are the Vanco 8s good in snow?

1980 VW Westfalia
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned the Discount Tire here. I understand it is also called America's Tire, too, elsewhere in the country. I knew Tirerack had them also.

The Vanco's are the same tire they put on the Mercedes ML SUVs. I live in a sunshine / no salt state of California. What's snow? Smile You should go read the on line comments about them. I am fairly sure people have posted comments here too. Go to the Continental Tire website too.

Currently I have Cooper's on my van. Not the best, but I took them off a parts van I bought. They are OK, too. Load range D and are rated to 65 psi. I keep them at 55 and they don't squirm. I am still restoring my van and therefore better tires have not made it to the top of the list yet.

brownbetty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: les schwab Reply with quote

I've used Les in Oregon, very quick and helpful. they put some Jupiter tires on my westy. they will also sipe the tires, helps them last longer, better traction too. they do it all in one stop, they have some good service garuntees too, i think flat protection, check em out...

Look out! He's got a towel!!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere (here) I read you can get awsome deals on tires at (of all places) Walmart by having them order them. I may check into that, too. Specifically, I recall, someone writing they got a superiour deal on Michelin Aegillis, if I am not mistaken.

Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Betty... What do you mean "sipe" the tires.... sounds like they were trying to sell you a muffler bearing or something(only exist on Rolls Royce).... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipe is where they make little cuts in the tire that supposedly gives them better traction, longer life, and quiter ride. Many people debate the effects and it can void the warantee of a tire.
http://www.lesschwab.com/Siping.html Rolling Eyes
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic wrote:
Sipe is where they make little cuts in the tire that supposedly gives them better traction, longer life, and quiter ride. Many people debate the effects and it can void the warantee of a tire.
http://www.lesschwab.com/Siping.html Rolling Eyes

Sipes are BS.

The tires on my Westy - Vanco 8's - look like they'd be good in snow, they are an "all season" tire.

I got them VIA tire rack back in the spring. They ride nice. I got the 185s.

I shoulda got the 205s.. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the 205s? Will they fit?

I plan on the 195s because I want to reduce my high way RPMs. 4K PRMs at 70 MPH sure is buzzy.

pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 195s, too. I have heard that the 205s make it harder to steer (and since I don't have power steering, I think I'll stick with the 195s). Wal-mart, huh? I don't think the Michelin Agilis comes in a 195 though. I think they have 185 and 205. I'll have to check on the America Tire (probably don't have one). Didn't someone order some tires off the net here? Where did you go to have them mounted? Did they charge you an arm and a leg cuz u didn't buy their tires?

1980 VW Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: