Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust system clean up and rust prevention
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Exhaust system clean up and rust prevention Reply with quote

I just bought a used exhaust system off of ebay. It came with the cross over pipe, elbow pipe, cat, muffler, and tail pipe. It seams to be in pretty good shape. Or at least in better shape than my old exhaust. Obviously its got some surface rust. The PO had it wrapped in some sort of cloth heat wrap material which as you can imagine did wonders to help the rust.

Any way I'm in the process of cutting the cloth off and scrapping the rust clear as best I can. Most of the rust is flaking off easily in big thin sheets and there are no deep pits or holes penetrating through the surface.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a material I can use to seal the surface after I'm done scraping the loose material? It would have to be able to stand up to the heat of the exhaust. Has anyone tried powder coating there exhaust? Is it pricy$$$? Any preparation and restoration tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting it in a bead blaster and peening it all off is best. Powder coating is a heat activated material, and would not be the best choice. There are exhaust coating systems, but are best used when the part is new (and pricey). You can try regular old exhaust high temp paint, but it flakes off if there is any rust.

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR 15 makes a paint for exhaust. I have some but haven't used it yet but suspect it is pretty good. Their flyer says you can coat inside the pipes as well.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'll have to look in to that. Thanks
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tricks to getting these rusty bolts off this tailpipe aside from soaking them in WD-40? I Don't have access to a welder.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW MAN JAY!!! Shocked

YOUR WIFE IS GUNNA KILL YOU Twisted Evil

but anyways.. invest in a battery operated sawzall, extremely handy for those junkyard runs too. to 'pull' seized studs/bolts you either have to use heat.. (cherry red heat) or good luck and penetrating oil.
if you have enough room on the stud, you can double nut it put one nut on then a 2nd, tighten the 2 together to each other, then they bind real tight on the stud and sometimes it'll come out, sometimes itll break..

I REALLY like my small 110volt lincoln MIG welder. it's perfect for this kind of work, and it runs off a regular wall outlet (likes a 15-20amp breaker though). I take a nut screw it on or place it over the seized/broken stud and the heat from the welding goes right where you want it to go.. gives the neighbors a good light show as bonus.
these are 'suitcase' sized and sold in homedepot/lowes for under $300. but only buy NAMEBRANDS in small scale welders, never a "harbor freight" brand for this work.

you should be quite able to have it powdercoated, they'll strip the corrosion off as part of the service, either sandblasted or chemical strip.

I've been wanting to make a 'reverse-electrolisis dip tank for my garage. maybe this year.. google = " electrolysis rust removal "
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

dan from syracuse NY
1980 Tan Riviera camper with Turbo diesel conversion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan

The wife is in Canada visiting family Dancing Twisted Evil While the cat is away the mice will play Wink I actually managed to dig in there with a couple of wrenches and yank those bolts loose by hand this morning. ARRRG! Twisted Evil After a big bowl of wheeties Laughing I'm taking the cross over pipe to get sand blasted this after noon. The guy quoted me a price of $45.00 over the phone. Not to bad a guess. Then I think I'm gona try some of that high temp POR-15 walrus suggested. I'll post some pics later.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right way of treating the exhaust system so it will not re- rust is to have it ceramic coated.

I've exhaust system heat POR-15ed my tail pipe & exhaust and the results are sort lived.

I know of one guy that swears that coating the system yearly with peanut oil prevents rust.

Go Figure--- ~: )
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are places that will "aluminize" your parts. Still others will ceramic coat them. Pretty much anything you put on that is self applied seems to be problematic. Over the decades I have tried several things. Most are so, so.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to be sure the exhaust is well installed. That means, the flanges are filed flat, use good gaskets, use copper plated pinch nuts and use plenty of antisieze. That way the prime exhaust killer will not happen. That is an exhaust that breaks because if vibrated and rattled. If they vibrate and rattle, they tend to break and fall apart.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
There are places that will "aluminize" your parts. Still others will ceramic coat them. <<Pretty much anything you put on that is self applied seems to be problematic. Over the decades I have tried several things. Most are so, so.>>

Or more like No-No
Whatever the can claims it isn't going to stay on for long, that's for sure.

The heat seems to eat it up.

Just figure it this way----

If you don't pay to have it done, it isn't going to last.

<<One of the best things you can do for yourself is to be sure the exhaust is well installed. That means, the flanges are filed flat, use good gaskets,>>

Use a piece of glass to verify if the flanges are flat--absolutley, and do use new gaskets.

<< use copper plated pinch nuts and use plenty of antisieze. That way the prime exhaust killer will not happen.>>

I passed on the copper plated nuts.
They do wok ok, but under than copper plating is just plain old mild steel, and they will eventually rust up.
Especially when the coppper cust off the threads on the way down.

I replaced every nut, bolt, washer, , & head stud with stainless, and still gave them a copious coat of anti seize.

Now lets see the hardware fight me when it's time to do some work down yonder-- ~: )

Boy--I almost hate to go near the exhaust system--it's alway's a pain.

That is an exhaust that breaks because if vibrated and rattled. If they vibrate and rattle, they tend to break and fall apart.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although many stainless steels are great for not rusting, a materials guy showed me in an envirnoment that tends to be hostile (salt) you do not want to mix in stainless and non stainless. Reason is, you will promote the non stainless to corrode. So what good is a beautiful stainless fastner when the flange you are holding on has had the corrosion accelerated causing it to fail prematurely?

The point of the pinch nuts comment is to use NEW hardware. It is what is used on new VWs and if you use the never sieze, the parts actually do come apart years later. Seen that time and time again.

BTW: The best exhaust is totally stainless, if you can get it and afford it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well step one is complete Dancing

Sand blasting only cost me $30.00. Even cheaper then the quote I got over the phone Wink I think that deserves a free plug:

Haward Corp.
31 Porete Ave.
North Arlington, NJ 07031
Phone: 800-342-9041
Fax: 201-991-1903
http://www.haward.com/

Ask for Keith

Absolutely no signs of rust. Its so clean it looks like I painted it Wink

Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That looks good. I just ordered the POR15 Black Velvet ($34 Cdn). Let me know how yours works out.....
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaker wrote:
Wow! That looks good. I just ordered the POR15 Black Velvet ($34 Cdn). Let me know how yours works out.....

Me to Wink I went with the manifold gray how about you? They say its good up to 1,400 Deg. F Twisted Evil

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the instructions. If you want streak free application, use a cheap foam brush. Toss when done. Also, use the smallest jar you can. It is near impossible to keep the stuff once it is opened. In other words, if you do reseal, it won't really be good later. This is EXPERIENCE talking.

BTW: I noticed it is rusting already. Better hurry!

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Follow the instructions. If you want streak free application, use a cheap foam brush. Toss when done. Also, use the smallest jar you can. It is near impossible to keep the stuff once it is opened. In other words, if you do reseal, it won't really be good later. This is EXPERIENCE talking.

BTW: I noticed it is rusting already. Better hurry!

Thanks for the tips Wink I'll post a pic when its done.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: THE KITCHEN TABLE?? Reply with quote

Burn those photos! Photshop them so that the exhaust is on the driveway. Otherwise, when your lady gets home, you are going to hear about it every time you sit down to dinner.

THE KITCHEN TABLE??

The subject will be difficult to exhaust.

Rigging Winston for his new radio wiring. Tapped into the "YOU LEFT THE KEY IN, IDIOT!" circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say you can also do the inside of the exhaust by pulling a swab thru the pipe.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: THE KITCHEN TABLE?? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Burn those photos! Photshop them so that the exhaust is on the driveway. Otherwise, when your lady gets home, you are going to hear about it every time you sit down to dinner.

THE KITCHEN TABLE??

The subject will be difficult to exhaust.

Rigging Winston for his new radio wiring. Tapped into the "YOU LEFT THE KEY IN, IDIOT!" circuit.

Driveway?? Laughing What's that? Rolling Eyes I wish I had one Crying or Very sad Trust me I would have used it if I did. I live in a 900 SF. apartment in the city so I have to improvise. Would you believe I once replaced the floor pans in my old 72 Beetle out on the street? In December? I couldn't use the dining room table for that one.

I sucked all the rust up with my shop vac as I scraped it off. And my wife wouldn't even know how to find this forum. No worries the crime scene has been contained Wink
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Por-15 might hold up on that, then it might not.
The black velvet I used on my steel "extractor" exhaust lasted about a week and a half, some of it's still there most of it flaked off.
It was thinner than the stock system, so it may get hotter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: