Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redwinegeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

I don’t know what happened to the thread I initiated early in January about fixing the plastic coolant pipes that run the length of the Vanagon between the engine and the radiator.

I promised to update the list on how it went.

I chose to purchase the Stainless Steel coolant pipes from Terry Kay. It took quite a while to obtain them but Terry was honest on the costs and time line.

On 1-12-06 I mailed him a check from Eugene, OR.
1-18-06 he emailed me to say he received the check and would start on manufacturing the pipes the next weekend with expected shipping date of the end of the week after.
1-27-06 he emailed me to inform me that they were on the way and gave me a FedEx tracking number.
2-2-06 I received the pipes in good condition.
2-3-06 I had the pipes installed. 4hrs labor including cooling system flush and bleed.

Note: I got the two-piece pipes. This made the install much easier the mechanic said, because he didn’t have to drop the fuel tank.

Gerry

86 Westfalia, Automatic
thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are some of the benefits you noticed from the pipes? like lower engine temp?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main and primary benefit is that you'll NEVER have to replace the line again..
for those of us rebuilding/restoring a westy or syncro in the salt belt it's a major peace of mind.

also in all actuality it's resonably priced, though a set could be more then some of us paid for our vans or parts vans..

I know thats what i'll be using on my syncro camper conversion restoration..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redwinegeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't driven it enough to notice temp's yet. Had to add 1.5 L of distilled water yesterday. It may have not been totally bled. Time will tell.
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

redwinegeek wrote:

I don’t know what happened to the thread I initiated early in January about fixing the plastic coolant pipes that run the length of the Vanagon between the engine and the radiator

They deleted the thread because of the nasty coments Terry Kay made of any one who doesn't agree with him. I plan to getstainless pipe myself either from Bus Depot or make them myself. I wouldn't have anything to do with Terry Kay. He was banned from Vanagon list because of his attitude and personal attacks on other members

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

mike boland wrote:

They deleted the thread because of the nasty coments Terry Kay made of any one who doesn't agree with him. I plan to getstainless pipe myself either from Bus Depot or make them myself. I wouldn't have anything to do with Terry Kay. He was banned from Vanagon list because of his attitude and personal attacks on other members

Mike

It got deleated because of your nasty comments, so lay off or it will happen again.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
mike boland wrote:

Mike

It got deleated because of your nasty comments, so lay off or it will happen again.

I didn't make any nasty coments. ok end of subject I'm off my soap box...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being nice, I won't be so nice next time, no more slander
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there MIGHTYART,
Long time no speaky there. I Read the comments here and appreciate the clarifications. I wasn't around for the original post mentioned but having an interest in eventually replacing my coolant pipes, I do have an interest in available options. Being a blue-water boat guy, It's a given that stainless and aluminum don't play well together, though there are worse metals to combine in a conductive liquid such as aluminum and iron, or aluminum and bronze. What I guess I'm asking you since you have first-hand exposure to a previous post involving the supplier and a bit of bad blood, is your opinion on the issue of Terry Kay's integrity. If I end up having to go that route, I would feel rather stupid reliving the experience I had with the second- level Bus Depot guys when there are warnings out there. I'm a big boy when it comes to engineering decisions, but business decisions are best made with informed consent. Is it your read there was an issue between Mr. Kay and a forum visitor over opinions in that post? , or was the issue over a problematic transaction?
Thanks for further clarification, and I hope you are doing well my friend.

PS I see you changed you brand from GWB to Polar Bears . . thinking about drilling in the Arctic? Very Happy
Best Regards,
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil G wrote:
Hi there MIGHTYART,
Long time no speaky there. I Read the comments here and appreciate the clarifications. I wasn't around for the original post mentioned but having an interest in eventually replacing my coolant pipes, I do have an interest in available options. Being a blue-water boat guy, It's a given that stainless and aluminum don't play well together, though there are worse metals to combine in a conductive liquid such as aluminum and iron, or aluminum and bronze. What I guess I'm asking you since you have first-hand exposure to a previous post involving the supplier and a bit of bad blood, is your opinion on the issue of Terry Kay's integrity. If I end up having to go that route, I would feel rather stupid reliving the experience I had with the second- level Bus Depot guys when there are warnings out there. I'm a big boy when it comes to engineering decisions, but business decisions are best made with informed consent. Is it your read there was an issue between Mr. Kay and a forum visitor over opinions in that post? , or was the issue over a problematic transaction?

PS I see you changed you brand from GWB to Polar Bears . . thinking about drilling in the Arctic? Very Happy
Best Regards,
Phil G

Phil
Terry Kay claims his pipes are better, Bus Depot are not as good as his, etc. etc. they copied his ideas etc. that's what it was about...
Mike
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't delete the forementioned post, I'm just the little moderator, so I went back and read through it, it was just one person bad mouthing.
and reading through Terry Kays posts he seemed to be just defending himself. I know of his website but have never ordered from him myself,
but from what other people have said, plus what redwinegeek said about his experiance I would give him a shot.
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mail reveived from Mike B:
Terry Kay got all nasty just because we didn't agree with him he claimed his pipes were better and that bus depot copied him etc etc..

Terry kay well known on gerry.vanagon.com mail list he gets into fights / nasty arguements with everyone which why they banned him from list...

yes might be why VW changed from Steel to Plastic pipers? Alum / stainless don't play well together... got to think about that..

Mike

My response:
Thanks Mike, and please do not be offended, but I had addressed my questions to Mightyart and I'm unable to place any practical value on your comments since I have no experience communicating with you nor can I discover your interests in the matter. I have posted this message and my response on the forum so everyone is on the same page here. I prefer that eveyone stay 'public' with their comments.
Thanks Again,
Phil

Thanks for your imput Mightyart.
Regards, Phil
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the guy is so unhappy, but I'm guessing it's not from just a bad order.
The thread that got deleted had some good info in it, kind of sucks that it got ruined.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike boland wrote:
Phil G wrote:
Hi there MIGHTYART,

Best Regards,
Phil G

Phil
Terry Kay claims his pipes are better, Bus Depot are not as good as his, etc. etc. they copied his ideas etc. that's what it was about...
Mike

Have you EVER ordered from him?
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nut shell, up to late '84 Vanagons had metal coolant lines that rust out. Then till late '85 they had 1.5 inch "never rust" plastic pipes. Sometime after '86 they went to 2 inch "never rust" plastic pipes. The reality is that they all look like these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Buspor63, I'm fully aware of the problems with OEM pipes - no education needed there, was just wondering about the SS source originally mentioned. Great photo though!
At the risk of tweaking devotees of Bus Depot, I would have to side with an unknown vs. Bus Depot in any debate until I personally had a problem with that unknown person or company. This is because my first, one, and only experience with Bus Depot was nether pleasant nor productive. On the other hand, at least there's justice in spending habits.
In the last few months I've now spent about $2,000 at GoWesty, another $1000 at Commonwealth VW (dealer), and local shops got another $1800 - and I'm just getting started . . . . . Bus Depot gets $0.0 Very Happy

By the way, that OE VW site looked interesting . . any glaring skeletons in that closet? They seem to carry a number of dealer items for about the same price I pay at the dealer with my 20% discount. I noticed they had all the window felts, scrapers, seals and bright trim I just got. They might be a good alternate when the dealer's out of stock.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
In a nut shell, up to late '84 Vanagons had metal coolant lines that rust out. Then till late '85 they had 1.5 inch "never rust" plastic pipes.

You sure? Seems my early 85 has steel lines. I will look again, but I am pretty sure my 85 has steel lines. I think my late 85 parts van had steel too (RIP.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil G wrote:
another $1000 at Commonwealth VW (dealer.

Phil, I go to Circle and get a hell of a deal from them. BUT, most common Vanagon parts can be gotten from the wholesalers. I think I only spent like a couple of hundred at the dealer on mine. The rest has come via wholesale places. NOT the common Vanagon suppliers frequently mentioned here. The parts are out there, you just have to find the right place to buy them.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought from Terry and was pleased.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

Somewhere along '85, they went to plastic. My '85 runner and the '85 shredder both have plastic. I was just trying to generalize, ya know, in a nut shell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: