Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

leaking full after a fill up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: leaking full after a fill up Reply with quote

Whenever I fill up to the top of my tank (all the way until the pump shuts off), fuel immediately leaks out of a) the fuel filler hole, and spills down my paint, and b) leaks out somewhere underneath the van in the proximity of the filler neck. Is this common? Or is this deadly???? Shocked It continues to leak for about 5 minutes, I guess until it reaches a certain level...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cloudbaseracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer if this is common or not but I have something similar happening. When I fill up I can only fill until the first time the pump shuts itself off. Any more than that and fuel will leak out of the filler tube. I do smell gas for several hours after I feel up as well, even if it has not spilled down the side. I have not noticed any fuel leaking out from underneath athough it may be. Does not seam to be. Maybe there is some type of "relief valve" on the vehicle.

James
Silkworm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seems to be a fiarly comon problem. Something to do with the various rubber seals in the filler neck/top of the tank i believe. use the search as i know this has ben discussed before.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=TANKKIT1

I think this is the kit used to fix your problem.
that link is for 86 and above vanagons, not sure if it would be diferent for older
I seem to remember reading recently that at least one piece of the parts usualy replaced in cases like yours has ben discontinued, and i would asume can be hard to find.
Of course any of this could be wrong, as ive never had to deal with this issue.
Use the search

Last edited by Silkworm on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appear to have the same problem. Checking behind the filler, it appears the hoses are deteriorating. I saw someplace that had a complete kit with all the hoses.

As I just went through this on my son's 71 bug, you have to replace all the old fuel and vent hoses. Most everything was cracked.

So the answer is to replace all the tubing and gaskets to the tank (this includes right around the filler, as well). They just get old and crack over time.

-Rich
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the kits out there generally provide grommets for the vent crossover tube, sometimes the crossover tube itself - which there is a nationwide shortage of at the moment, the small 4mm bulk hose to cut for vent lines, their clamps and the fill tube grommet (large grommet where fill tube enters side of tank). These kits do not include the plastic fill tube ($150 at the dealer), the plastic 'burp' hose that runs parallel to the fill tube, or it's rubber sleeve that seals that tube to the fill manifold (flanged top part of fill tube that the gas cap screws onto). So it is best to look closely and see if one of these has a problem before investing in a kit that replaces parts that are not the problem. Sometimes the problem you are describing happens as a result of a pinched 'burp' hose or damaged metal 'flapper' in the fill orifice that was originally there to keep people from fitting the larger diameter leaded gas triggers into their non-leaded car's fill neck. Not a problem anymore, but back in the day those things caused a lot of spills. Most folks have pried the trap door out and chucked it long ago, but yours may still be there. Just some thoughts . .
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/fueltank_reseal.htm
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack your forum, but I have a question for everyone: I have heard that it isn't good to fill the tank up more after the pump has automatically clicked off. Any truth to this?

1980 VW Westfalia
panic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't rely on the automatic shut off of the pump. It causes a spill every time. This seems to be a common problem because here in Oregon, where there is no self service, many attendants are already aware of this problem.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocvw wrote:
Not to hijack your forum, but I have a question for everyone: I have heard that it isn't good to fill the tank up more after the pump has automatically clicked off. Any truth to this?

I think this is done more to prevent fuel spills than anything.
I hate those hoses around the nosel that some states have to catch the fumes, PITA.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
vandukw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the tank down in my 84, I got the reseal kit without the cross-over tube (thats the part on national backorder) was not a problem re-using old crossover tube, its rigid plastic and doesnt deteriorate like the soft rubber grommets and vent hoses. The kit without the tube is around $50 less too. Before you drop tank reach behind front wheels inbetween floor pan and subframe, you can feel the croossover tube where it plugs into tee that fits into tank grommet , mine had just popped off, I really didnt need all the new seals and could have just reached one hand in their to push tube back into tee- maybe thats all you need- good luck
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem with vanagons. It has become even more of a problem ever since MTBE has been used as a fuel additive. Apparently it eats away at the seals in the filler neck/tank. I have used the go westy gas tank re-seal kit on all three of my vanagons and none of them have leaked since. I also try and use gas with an ethanol additive instead of MTBE because it is not as corrosive to gaskets ( I think shell and 76 use ethanol instead of MTBE).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: