Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Uh... My 1963 factory front beam is not welded all the way around the uprights to the torsion tubes. I just ran out to my garage to take a look. I don't see how that is a quality problem if VW didn't do it.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

yep OEM beams were not welded all the way around:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

There is very good reason for not welding a solid bead on something - less continual stress along that line makes it less apt to break along the weld.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Stripped the seats and roll cage out of the buggy and dropped the cage off at the powder coaters. Price today is less than quoted a year and a half ago! Shocked That doesn't happen very often!

Going blue like the seats & cooling tin

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Nice!
Powder coating is the only way to fly. My coater has something he calls "Super Chrome" which isn't "chrome" per se but looks like polished aluminum. I use it a lot!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Thanks Chaz!

My wife is after a similar scheme as the blue/silver paint scheme that Yamaha has used with some black in it as well

Kinda like this...

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

This is a rail I did for a friend. It is powdered, and I think in a very cool blue you may like.
When it comes to powder, I understand if it is in liquid paint, it is also in powder.
Good luck!!

P.S> I believe it is a bit darker than the pix show.

Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I ended up welding the perimiter of the shock towers, and adding the pad to the top.

I changed the front bump stops, put the refurbed steering box (cleaned and painted, hehe) and associated stuff on. rebuilt and modified the dash support, tried to rebuild the pedal assembly and it broke trying to pull the accelerator pin. Attempted to disassemble the Ghia calipers and the pistons will not move. I said F-it and pounded 145 psi into them both and...nothing.

Problem is, it seems like every time I get an inch forward toward a finished area, I need parts I don't have. Ugh. Mostly (right now) my body so I can fit the steering column and dash/support.

I just ordered new calipers, rotors, and a pedal assembly. The shocks I want seem to be made of unobtanium in my local area so I'm shopping for oem's but seem to be only finding Bilsteins at $100+ each. I can get exactly what I want from several places in the UK but shipping is enormous. I guess I'm just used to the $11 shocks I used to sell when I was a ACVW mechanic in the '80's. I'm trying to get over that

Soon I'll be bringing my body back home. I have a limited time in the body shop to get it done but I'm getting close to my first test mount.

BTW, I bought sidepods for it from bugstuff in PA, they look great and they fit like a glove! I'm VERY happy with them.

ppilotmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Side pods look great! I like the recycled motorcycle lift, good idea, wish I’d of kept mine when I sold the bike.
Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

It's actually not recycled, we have two and both get used for motorcycles. This just happened to be empty at the moment, my brother got the idea and made it work. It's his body shop, and mostly a motorcycle shop. I gave him an old Harley that sat in the corner of my shop, in return for the use of him and his shop. He has actually done almost all of the work on it since he's retired and I'm not. It's better that way.

He worked on and painted Corvettes, and I worked on and painted VW's in different shops over our careers. I'm good with fabrication, and he's excellent with 'glass so I took him up on his offer.

BTW, in the vein of recycled, I made a plate for the trailing arms when I built the pan for this body and used an old engine stand as a rotisserie. I have a heavy steel roller cart I placed at the front and could pick up the nose to roll it over and work the bottom. Easy Peasy.

I just laid some boards on the cart to level it up, and started drillin' and cuttin'. At the end my levels showed me that it worked like a charm, and all the while I was working at a height that didn't make my back scream at the end of the day!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Minor stuff compared to most... I s'pose.

While I had the cage out for powder coating I took the seats out and put truck bed liner on the interior floor. I was pretty impressed with the "Herculiner" product. Not so much, their rollers Rolling Eyes

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Gary E 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Continued construction of the new Manx Remastered kit.

Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I finally had some free time to spend with Sandy. She got new tail lights! Sequential turn signals! '65 Mustang style.... I like them! Will get pics posted soon.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

What did I do to my Buggy yesterday? I DROVE IT!!!

After a very long time (far longer than necessary but that is a whole separate story) I finally got behind the wheel and actually drove the thing... and it makes it all worthwhile!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yup. Us too. I took my little sidekick and assistant test driver out to the grocery store for some fixin's for our pulled pork sammiches! Thanks Theodore!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Sweet! Wish I still had access to the under dash components like that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199
Jump to:
Page 199 of 199

Jump to: