Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Syncro
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: My project Syncro Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pic was taken about a year ago. Since then, i've brought it home and cleaned it up so it's not to embarasing. The bus was my dads that he used off and on for awhile. The usual Syncro problems(tranny and VC) sidelined it.

So far i've rebuilt the alternator, fixed wiring around alternator, fixed the odometer, pluged and covered some mystery holes in the front fascia, replaced the water tower(cheaper at VW dealer than online vendors), used two different used fuel pumps to combant an intermitant pump start-up, got some used interior bits from NHsyncronaut and some more stuff I cant remember at this time.

The to-do list is long. Untill I can afford both trans rebuild and VC replacement, I hope to install a 2WD four speed. I have everything from a 2WD bus I recently took apart.

I hope to update this thread as I complete things and get the bus road worthy.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be a redneck...if you go wheelin' in your backyard.
Yesterday I needed to use the syncro to move a small trailer and boat around. After I was done I thought, will it go there? Yup, just pull the rear locker and away you go. It still has the transmision that makes alot of noise, but it doesnt really get used.

buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it's been over a year since I made the first post. In my defense, my wife and I had out third child(all under five) and I rebuilt a 1.9 WBX that now has 2000 trouble free miles.

I've got the Syncro engine and trans sitting on the drive way, so the project is really moving now. It really suprised me to find that the engine/trans/starter were all siliconed together for water proofing.

A fellow Full Moon Bus Club'er is going to do the trans rebuild. Although I suspect a bad 3-4 hub and a bad bearing, you never know till it's open. If all goes well, I'll have to use it in 2WD mode till I can afford a new VC or the front decoupler.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 2 1/2 years since I pulled the engine and trans! Last week, I re-installed the engine and trans. The Syncro is now back on the road. I had to borrow a few parts from my 2wd Westy, a fuel pump and shifter base....hmmmm.....seems the shifter base came from the Syncro when the one in the Westy broke.

My wife, Jenny gladly helped. Partly to get the yard art moving and also she has been watching some English made TV shows about car resto and it has intrigued her. Before, I think she somehow just thought I was a unique nut and not part of a worldwide culture.

Once it was semi-road worthy, she suggested we load up the kids(the youngest is now 3 1/2) and go to Sonic for ice cream. Great! I was a little worried that the first trip would fail.... We made it back all comfy in the big 7 seater.

Now, what to do.....Westy or Syncro????
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... 4 years of posts and I'm the first to say anything? Looks like a fun project.

-Rob
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:

Combine them Very Happy

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
buspor63 wrote:

Combine them Very Happy

Don't you know that I've been secretly planning that, but both vans are so nice it would be awful to hack one for the other. I think I will just try to camp out of the Syncro GL a time or two and see how it goes. We are a family of five and the last few times we have tried to camp in the Westy it feels like we have out grown it.......those cabinets, closets and stuff take up a lot of space.

I'm thinking rear rock and roll seat(I have one), no middle seat, build a floor to ceiling closet behind driver seat for storage, jump seat behind passenger seat(need one), full length roof rack, side awning/tent, seperate tent for kids and the usuall other camping gear we would take. Someday a high top would be nice too.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a bus back on the road that hasn't seen regular road use for over eight years takes alot of work. Mostly it's been old gas gluing up all the FI parts. I went through four sets of used injectors till I found a set that all sprayed. Now, I just need to get one set cleaned and calibrated.

While trying out injectors, it seemed I lost a cylinder. I kept thinking when the lifter would pump up, I would get it back. Finally, I had to chase the problem down. I felt the heat off of the exhaust pipes to determine which one was lazy. The engine had started to puff some blue smoke with a strong smell of gas.

I pulled the plug to check for spark and saw that the plug was wet, so that injector was working, it had spark too. A quick check of compression showed only 80 psi. I popped the valve cover off and then could see the shiny tip of a push rod pocking out. I'm guessing that it hopped out when the lifter was down. When I pulled it out, it had a nice bow. Once again, boxes of parts came to the rescue and I sourced a used 2.1 pushrod.

After putting it all back together, all four cylinders were firing again. It took quite awhile to burn off all the unburned gas and oil. It was puzzleing because it had run really nice after the first round of degumming. I had a fresh tank of gas dosed with Techron so I'm hoping the fuel problems are behind me.

I switched out the square lights for a set og 7" Hella H4's I had. I put small spade connectors on the round light connector wires so it just plugs into the original harness. My round light grill is a little tatty, but it's my only one. The Syncro is sportin' some wicked 14" white wall tires, it's what I has mounted on a spare set, som once again, it will have to do till I decide what wheel/tires I can afford.

I'll try to take a pic or two soon, but really it looks just like it did.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Syncro is coming along. The engine has been running good after a half tank of fresh gas and a bottle of Techron. A rattle can of flat black cured the white walls....still waiting, trying to decide which way to go on wheels/tires.

Went with some friends to ride bikes this week, also, you can just see the 2X6 holding up the central air tunnel. That should get remedied this week.

Keith Kiernicki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the black interior with the rubber flooring? I am jealous!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ya need now is a Westy roof for it. I know where you can find one cheap. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rubber floors, but the interior is black. The rear seat is a standard, non rock-n-roll seat, I have a rock-n-roll seat, but it's brown, could be a seat cover in it's future.

Karl, last year I sold off my complete parts Westy, good top, interior and all. On down the road, I really think I want a high top.
Carleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh, I'll look for that rig next time I ride at Haaaaaawwww Ridge.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carleton,

Great eye! If you see the Syncro there....or a tan '85 Westy, keep a look out on the trails for that red/black/yellow Gary Fisher Pro Caliber single speed....with handle bar tassels Wink If you ride the "Ithsmus" trail, it's mine Smile
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed you've got the charcoal grey and black GL interior. Pretty cool! That's a rare interior color. VW only sold them here in 1985 and 1986. They came in silver, grey, and a few white Vanagons.

Your syncro's looking good.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "fixed" the odometer.......I hope. I took out the metal gear, center punched the shoulder and re-installed. It worked for todays big drive, all 45 miles with out failing. I was looking at some VW/Audi wheels at a local VW repair/salvage shop.

Yesterday, I removed the central air tunnel for repair. Someones tip on removing front to rear is correct. Those parts are heavy, I can see whay they break. I plan on rebuilding the broken out parts with WEST System epoxy mixed with silica and laminating with glass cloth. A few pics would be nice, I'll snap some when I do the work.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was Haw Ridge. Miss that place.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Syncro has been running great, transmission shifts good, just need to replace all the CV boots before I need to replace all the CV joints.

At some point, I will prbably have to decide which Vanagon to sell. My '85 Westy has been with me since 03/94. It's been border to border and coast to coast without hardly a hickup. I have at least two spares for every part to keep it going. It's in good shape with the worst being a torn tent screen and some rust starting to show in the usuall places.

However, as a family of five, is there really room in there for us all to travel?, I have the single center seat and can remove it once we get where we are going if needed. I've always thought a Carat jump seat would be nice to have.

Camping wise, we have only gone twice as a family and it was crowded. I'm sure some practice will help, but I start to ask "why do I have all this kitchen stuff" we mostley live/cook outside the Westy anyway.

Also, soon we will need to carry five bikes and or three canoes/kayaks. since the beginning, I've carried bikes and boats on my Westy top, but the number needed now is alot. I know I can get a Fiamma and still use my Yakima stuff also.

Hmmm, that was alot of words. The Syncro is a rust free GL van that I can pretty much do whatever I want with. I know I can haul family and gear, use tents and cook outside etc. Over time, I would like to build a roof platform using "Quick N Easy" clamps to haul bikes and boats. A built in pantry behind the driver would be nice, maybe even a Carat jump seat behind the passenger.

Mechanically, the Syncro is sound. Engine seems fine, I should do a compression test. I know the transmission is solid. The VC is aggressive, so I either replace that or switch to a decoupler. I'm not sure if I would ever use the Syncro in the fashion it was built for. Would I one day regret selling my Westy? I can use the Westy right now with ease, but the Syncro is going to take some time to get it to the "ready camper" stage.

sorry for the long entry, tough descisions to make, much harder than selling my 1970 Porsche 911 T
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep em both ....who says you cant have your cake and eat it too, dont want to come down with the dreaded sellers remorse do ya? Question
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this has to be the most boring thread on the Samba, but That doesn't stop me Wink

Over the last week, I pulled all the axles, cleaned the CV joints and installed all new boots. I must say, those front axles are tricky to remove and install the first time, hopefully I won't have to do it anytime soon.

After installing the driveshaft, I took the kids for a ride around the back yard, nothing like some three wheelin' to get the kids giggling.

Someday, this thread may take off with lots of updates and pics....or it may just fizzle away......................
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: