Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 34 PICT-3 Setup Question
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnboy333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: New 34 PICT-3 Setup Question Reply with quote

Hello Everyone..........I am about to install a Brand New Carb on My 74 Standard Beetle with 1600 Dual Port, what I was wondering is if everything on the engine is already set right as far as timing and valve adjustments and etc., does a New Carb have to be set also to the engine or are they ready to go out of the box? I seem to think that I need a new carb even though it runs good, but does not do well when it gets warm after you shut it off, very hard to start. I have changed fuel pump, coil, condensor, plugs, plug wires, points, adjusted valves, and set the timing by specs. Am I leaving something out that needs attention, let you know later how it works out when I get the new carb. installed. All have a good rest of the week..................John Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given all the other crap you've changed, and given the fact that it looks like maybe your old carb is working more or less correctly, perhaps you should leave the old carb on until you're sure everything else is ok. It will make troubleshooting that much easier.

I mean, the fewer variables you introduce into the equation at any one time the easier it is to spot the problem.

And, yes, the new carb will need to be almost certainly need to be adjusted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new carb will almost always have to be "dialed in" to match your how your engine needs it. Sounds like your valves and tune up are done already, otherwise you'd want to do those too. What distributor are you running with this new carb? And is it a Pierburg, Brosol or Bocar unit?

And, heh, if you can before you install it, if you have a camera you can take a decent macro shot with, can you get a picture of what it looks like for the drillings just about the throttle plate, I'm interested in how it compares to the German carbs I documented recently in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095&highlight=

For hot starting -

When you hot start it, do you do it like the factory suggested - that is, put your gas pedal to the floor, keep it there while cranking until the engine fires up?

Sometimes they do like to flood when hot, the carb heat soaks enough for the fuel to expand and run over the carb into the manifold. Not a whole lot you can do about that except to keep cranking with the pedal floored til you clear the flooded fuel out. Other times the fuel pump can vapor lock from "heat soak" so the carb runs dry when you try to restart it and stays that way til the vapor lock clears. If the fuel inlet line is touching the hot side of the intake manifold or say the heater box between the body and the engine can make this problem worse. Have you ever pulled the top of the carb off when it wouldn't start hot to check and see where the level the fuel was inside the carb?

-Andy
Johnboy333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I can do..........Thanks all for the replys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: