Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stocker w/ problems
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Photo Reply with quote

Buggofast,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Red circle is where the auxilliary fuel jet lives, yellow is the spigot around where the check ball lives.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yellow is where the air correction etc doohickey lives and the red bit is a small jet and junction point for the auxilliary fuel jet passages and stuff.

Couldn't take a close up of the holes for transition as it too close for my camera.

Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkenstein, I must thank you again for all the help you have offered, over the weekend I managed to do all the alterations to the carb that came off the car originally, it is rebuilt and I took everything out and checked all passages for flow w/ carb cleaner, that little jet was removed and is clear, the check ball fell right out and I do get a squirt although I have not attempted to measure it for quantity, I filled the whole in the throttle plate, changed the main jet size and readjusted the acc. pump to almost max, after all this I still have the stumble although it seems to be in a much more liveable place, if I throttle it hard and then quickly back off to where I want it it's o.k. could it be something w/ the fast Idle setting? I read on dans page that it's real touchy
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Still the 009? Reply with quote

Buggofast,
Still with the 009? The "warm" or choke fully open setting with the fast idle screw is nastily sensitive. The fast idle adjustment screw to the fast idle plate is extremely small. What you should do is get the donk fully warm with no fast idle happening, choke fully open. Cycle the throttle a few times and back off this screw until daylight appears. Screw it in until contact is just made with the plate, and then 1/4 turn more. Then adjust volume/bypass to suit idle speed desired (900-950 on an A-S).

May I suggest not punching the throttle with your 009?. Sounds like it can't react quickly enough. I also reckon from what you describe, you could tweak the acc pump stroke (say a notch at a time) and guage the effect. If it's livable, that just may be all you can do for now (eyes flicking between 009 & rubbish bin) Laughing

Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the way I adjusted the fast idle so it should be about right, If I dont puch it, it dies only from a dead stop though. I have noticed it is running rich if anything cause if I spray it w/ carb cleaner and get a little up to the aircleaner my idle speed drops. it is loads better though and I may just leave it cause in the next year I'll be upgrading anyways. I'm really start to lean toward injection, I've got a megasquirt unit on my 73 drag car and love it. I've never had a carb give me so much trouble
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok seriously I am at the end of my rope on this, I ran through it all again today, checked valves(.006) set timing 31 total advance, set the fast idle, retuned checked acc. pump, checked choke all works o.k. and is adjusted, if anything I made it worse.
node
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the manifold heat riser. Is it getting hot? I had a similar experience with a 73 Super Beetle. The heat riser was blocked completely. Once cleared, it ran fine.
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Hmm..never answered that one Reply with quote

Buggofast,
As Node asks, plus you never answered on that question when I asked it.

Probably at the straw clutching stage for me now if your heat risers turn out ok...Got a spare set of plugs handy? As I said, I'm clutching straws.....

Volkenstein

PS. You could always invite your sister around/over a weekend and do a little midnight swapping Laughing

PPS from another forum where the guy was getting stumbles and had ripped apart the carb a few times.

problem found!

it turns out, there was a current leakage where the spark cables enter the distributor cap (found it only after a nasty shock while checking whether they are fitted well with car was running).

after applying alot of tape, everything sounds ok now, guess its time to replace the cables.
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem found! apparently either I adjusted the acc. pump wrong or too far, I adjusted it all the way towards the plus end of the linkage, this caused a gap between the end of the rod and the pump itself, when I noticed this on my spare carb I went back and adjusted it back down to mid travel, now it runs great, I do suspect that my heat risers are partially blocked as they are screamin hot on the incoming end and just slightly warm on the other but I will be changing the intake to a non AS when I swap in a manual later on. for now it rus pretty good. thanks again for all the help hope someday to return the favor
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Room for improvement Reply with quote

Buggofast,
Great news!
I'd still look at a midnight raid on your sisters car for the good bits. You will notice the difference when the 009 hits the garbage bin.
Remember, us A-S drivers take off in 2nd by default!

Regards
Volkenstein
buggofast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely stealing back my german carb, just wanted a good one to put on in it's place, as for the 009 I kinda like it but i believe the points conversion will fit the svda so I may switch it out for that one, the Auto stick is out as soon as I can find a good ssc manual to put in it, it has it's perks but also it's pita problems
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: