Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Case Markings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Engine Case Markings Reply with quote

Ok.. going to start a new thread on this and see if anyone else has similar markings on their 25hp case. Im interested in seeing if these are factory marks or something done after the fact..

Take a look at this picture... what on EARTH do these other stampings mean.. to the right of the engine number it is stamped 1082.. and then down below there are three 0182's in a triangle pattern..(just to the right of the case nut in the picture) and then there is an A and a 51 stamped on the Generator stand also.... any clues?? (Engine was built per the markings on June 23rd 1952)

Anyone have similar markings.. or know what they mean?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 2 25's and had dozens of 36's with similar markings Confused i always wanted to know what they where there for? Question anyone out there?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Eric Outland (VMR) Vintage Motor Restorations Reply with quote

The stamp to the right of the Generator Pedestal is a inspection Stamp. Back in the day, (and even in current quality control situations) a inspector or the individual himself ( doing the work on the motor, case, Crank, Cam Etc. Etc. ) would stamp there seal of approval of there work, typical employee number Stamp! Eric (VMR)
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 36 in my 58 has the stamp "30" below the engine serial numbers on the gen stand. I bought another 36 case that was built the same day as mine, and it has the letters W U with the number 39? Does this mean that the W U case has been rebuilt, and what do the stampings below the distributor mount mean? Mine reads 27 1 28 . The other case reads 7 1 38?
Jamestown, New York 14701
Stateside Imported Cars/Motors Items Wanted

Sunland Motors
2030 Fremont St Las Vegas, Nevada
Sunland Motors Items Wanted

Last edited by Agave58 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi agave there is a post on here somewhere that deciphers the case stamps, but i think that the 7 1 38 is the 7 of january 3rd shift 1958 ant the other 27th january 2nd shift 1958.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about those small 4 digit stampings. I have seen those on some intake manifolds also, I think I have a jacketed K with one. Does anyone know the decipher code???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Interesting about those small 4 digit stampings. I have seen those on some intake manifolds also, I think I have a jacketed K with one. Does anyone know the decipher code???

Yeah, I would like to know as well? I bought the second case as a backup, figuring it was built the same day as my original one? My case reads 2202104, the other case 2201078? Considering how many engines they were putting out in a day, I find it hard to believe they are seperated by three weeks Eh?

Sunland Motors
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were likely cast 3 weeks apart and assembled closer together
Agave wrote:
??? (JH)

Yeah, I would like to know as well? I bought the second case as a backup, figuring it was built the same day as my original one? My case reads 2202104, the other case 2201078? Considering how many engines they were putting out in a day, I find it hard to believe they are seperated by three weeks Eh?[/quote]
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
They were likely cast 3 weeks apart and assembled closer together

So VW didn't stamp the serial numbers till actual assembly? The stampings on the distributor mount would indicate one was cast on January 7th 3rd shift 1958, [ 7 1 38]? and mine would be 27 of Januaury 2nd shift 1958 [ 27 1 28]? That doesn't make sense to relation of assembly? My VW was built on January 30th, that would mean that my 36 case was cast three days earlier and installed? The other case if it were cast three weeks earlier should have serial numbers that reflect that as well? My case #2202104 the other case #2201078. So were looking at a difference of 1,026 engines, I believe they were putting out 1600 a day at that time Think

Sunland Motors
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible the "1 7 38" is really "27 1 38", as the casting date numbers are not always clear. Be sure to check the date stamp on the left side of the generator stand for the right half of the case on both engines. The two halves could have been cast days apart for the same engine. I used to have #2245000, but it came out of a torched car and there wasn't much left to salvage, so it went into the dumpster a few years ago.
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
It's possible the "1 7 38" is really "27 1 38", as the casting date numbers are not always clear. Be sure to check the date stamp on the left side of the generator stand for the right half of the case on both engines

The stamp has 7 1 38 below the distributor mount. The last three numbers on the bottom of the left case 101 "A" and 102 "A" on the right? That is the only numbers I see, besides the serial #? If anybody knows if there is a thread on deciphering these numbers please let me know!

Sunland Motors
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Numbers Reply with quote

Anything on the driver side (US/Left) or firewall side of the generator tower?

Mike
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Numbers Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Anything on the driver side (US/Left) or firewall side of the generator tower?Mike

Ok I found it,now I am more confused then ever d'oh! Ok here is a brake down on my case, and the spare I bought. You can see on my case that the case halves were cast a day apart, while the spare's halves were built two weeks apart? So is it a fluke that mine is so close together, or is the spare made up from two different cases? So here is my original case #'s starting with the stamp on the Dist Mount, then the Gen stand. [ 27 1 28] [28 1 28] serial # 2202104. Now the spare, [7 1 38] [22 1 28] serial # 2201078. You can see that the halfs are 15 days apart?

Sunland Motors
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers Reply with quote

Check the number on the seam of the case at the front where the edge
kicks up to cover the flywheel. Both case halves should have the same
number there. They were cast and put somewhere to wait to be machined. The halves were bolted together and machined as one unit.
Then they were numbered on the top seam. I am not sure if the motor
number was applied just after machining or after the motor was completed and passed inspection [more logical to me]
Which case halves were bolted together before machining was probably just pure chance.

Agave wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Anything on the driver side (US/Left) or firewall side of the generator tower?Mike

Ok I found it,now I am more confused then ever d'oh! Ok here is a brake down on my case, and the spare I bought. You can see on my case that the case halves were cast a day apart, while the spare's halves were built two weeks apart? So is it a fluke that mine is so close together, or is the spare made up from two different cases? So here is my original case #'s starting with the stamp on the Dist Mount, then the Gen stand. [ 27 1 28] [28 1 28] serial # 2202104. Now the spare, [7 1 38] [22 1 28] serial # 2201078. You can see that the halfs are 15 days apart?
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbers Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Check the number on the seam of the case at the front where the edge
kicks up to cover the flywheel. Both case halves should have the same
number there. They were cast and put somewhere to wait to be machined.

Ok found those as well, they are both the same # 273. so apparently even though the case halves on the spare have a two week casting difference, they were machined as one. So it then must be a fluke then that my original 36 halves were cast a day a part?

Sunland Motors
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: