Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Bug Windshield Washer Assembly and Hose Connections
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
detterich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: 1970 Bug Windshield Washer Assembly and Hose Connections Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a commonly asked question on this Forum but...
The PO on my 70 Bug stripped the windshield washer system. I've bought a bottle with the pressure cap on the top, the cap for the bottom of the bottle, the wiper switch through the dash with two nipples, the sprayer mounted in front of the windshield, and lengths of rubber windshield washer hose. My questions are:
1) Is there something I need to tighten the hose to the nipple on the top of the bottle?

2) Do I need something to screw into the spare tire valve that holds the hose that goes...where?

3) What hoses go where on the wiper switch? I think one of the nipples on the switch attaches to a short hose that goes directly up to the sprayer, but I don't know which switch nipple it is.

4) What hose goes to the other switch nipple?
I guess I'm looking for a step-by-step, or diagram.
Many thanks!
"D"
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help:

http://www.vw-resource.com/washer.html
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya det,

Here's a picture of the OEM washer system hooked up and ready to squirt.........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, the hose from the reservoir cap to the valve stem on the spare tire has a fitting which allows it to screw onto the valve stem. The hose to the washer reservoir cap is held in place with a small rubber restrictor band which is just visible in the picture below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With regard to the dashboard switch and hooking up the hoses. It really won't matter which nipple on the switch you hook each hose to. It wioll work just fine either way.

I hope that is of some help.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
detterich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: 1970 Bug Windshield Washer Assembly and Hose Connections Reply with quote

I REALLY appreciate the photo and words! I think I can do this! I can't begin to tell you how many sites I've searched for the simple instruction you've just provided. Most just indicated how the thing works, but never showed anyone how the lines go, and what you need (by photo). I've now got to find the spare tire screw-on valve. I've got the restrictor band, but I put it up on the switch. Embarassed Anyway, many thanks for the time and photos. I think this is the last thing I need to unveil my little restoration project of the past 2 and a half years! You can call me "Det" anytime!
70bugken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great place to keep that spare fan belt, also!
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Ken,

And the tool pouch fits nicely right behind the spare!

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: