Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kill Switch Questions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Kill Switch Questions Reply with quote

I have done searches on this site and others and I cannot find a picture or diagram, nothing. Remember I am new to the wiring thing be nice and simple if it all.

Thanks in AdVance
Craig
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to explain exactly what you wish to do, under what conditions, etc. Details.

And always begin any request for help by telling the year/model/equipment of your ride. They're not all the same, not by a long shot. Creating a signature line at the end of your posts including your vehicle info is a good way to do that automatically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the advise. It is a VW 82 Vanagon W/ westy camper. Aircooled if that helps
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he meant, besides the kind of car, is what you aim to achieve. A kill switch on a dragster is a different creature from lets say; an anit-theft type installation. If your going to actuate it from a keyless entry system or alarm or so on.

If your looking to do simple, cutting the power to the fuel pump is an easy one. There is also the power to the ECU makes the van dead as a doornail. The fuel pump is the most straight forward. I don't have any schematics for the 82, so you will have to resourceful on your own. However, it is not rocket science to run a pair of wires down to the pump and make a break point.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kill Switch Questions Reply with quote

ShotMagnet wrote:
I have done searches on this site and others and I cannot find a picture or diagram, nothing. Remember I am new to the wiring thing be nice and simple if it all.

Thanks in AdVance
Craig

Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do....

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:

If your looking to do simple, cutting the power to the fuel pump is an easy one. There is also the power to the ECU makes the van dead as a doornail. The fuel pump is the most straight forward. I don't have any schematics for the 82, so you will have to resourceful on your own. However, it is not rocket science to run a pair of wires down to the pump and make a break point.

lol I know it isnt rocket science. I am afraid of screwing something up. And I am blushing right now " I dont even know what a fuel pump looks like" How embarassing for me to say that!

'82 Westy Vanagon air cooled

http://vanagonshananigans.blogspot.com/

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look under the van on the passenger side just behind the fuel tank. There will be a short piece of hose that may or may not have a filter attached, then you will see a roughly 6 inch or so long round thingy that the hose from the tank is attached to. that is the fuel pump. There is a clip with two wires that is attached to the fuel pump, these wires are what deliver power to the fuel pump. The basic idea behind a fuel pump cutoff switch is to cut one of these fuel pump wires and attach a switch in between them. dosen't matter which wire, either one will break the circuit when the switch is in the off position and not allow the pump to run. Switch on, all good. The more you learn about your van the better off you will be, this forum is probably the best "Vanagon University" I know of. (How about a t-shirt, Vanagon University class of xx? anyone out here make shirts, I'd buy one!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a big dog and let him live in your van. A better security system has never been devised. Ask the cops, they'll tell you the same: if you don't want your car stolen, you need active security, i.e. something that will rip a thieve's friggin arm off if he's stupid enough to stick it in the car.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Just get a big dog and let him live in your van. A better security system has never been devised. Ask the cops, they'll tell you the same: if you don't want your car stolen, you need active security, i.e. something that will rip a thieve's friggin arm off if he's stupid enough to stick it in the car.

And make it a hungry dog...one that has not been fed for a day or so....

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx everyone

ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx everyone going to install it tomarrow

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog?
ShotMagnet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep a pack of them (will 10 chawawas (sp) work)

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if they're wirelessly linked to coordinate their attacks.

(it's Chihuahuas)
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm reviving an old thread here, but I just did this today and this topic is still relevant.

My approach: Rather than mess with the fuel pump power supply, I added a switch to the fuel pump ground.

The following has more detail than needed if you are adept at 12 volt systems, but is wordy to aid my fellow 12 volt noobies.

Shopping list, get most of it at the car parts store:
- stout metal toggle switch, simple on-off with 2 connection points
- 1 roll 16 gauge black or brown wire (black is not mandatory, but it reminds you it's a ground wire.)
- 3 female spade connectors, blue plastic (for med/16 gauge wire, 2 for toggle switch, 1 for fuel pump)
- 1 ring connector, for ground wire to bolt connection
- small bolt and nut, about 1' long (to mount switch and be a ground)
- dozen zip ties
- roll of metal plumbers tape

Step by step:
1) Pulled off the spade connector for the fuel pump ground wire. (Left it in place for possible later use in case I screwed this up =^)

2) Crimped on a spade connector onto 16G wire, and plugged new spade connector onto fuel pump ground.

3) Routed wire along passenger side above gas tank, then out to the front right jack point, up thru small plastic plug in the body, allowing access to the pillar behind the front passenger seat.

4) Pulled off the little air vent thingy, and mounted a stout toggle switch inside the pillar. Wire comes up from fuel pump, connects to one side to the toggle switch, then another short bit of wire (about 6") connect the other side of the switch to a ground bolt.

5) I made a mount for the toggle switch out of about 8" of metal plumber's tape, the ultra handy stuff that is a roll of flexible metal with small holes in it every inch or so. Not very pretty, but this switch will not get much use and will never be seen, so no worries. I had to enlarge the mounting hole a bit with a drill (1/2" bit?) to get the plumber's tape to fit the switch.

I thought a lot about the best place to mount the actual switch. Anyone who has pulled off the little air vent thing on either front door that allows easy access to the pillars probably has wondered about using this cavern as some sort of stash spot. It seemed to me a perfect place to hide the switch, giving fast and easy access from the front of the van yet still fairly stealth.

Tip: When working in the pillar, be sure and stuff a rag down inside below your work area to prevent small dropped items from getting lost forever, ask me how I know this.

If any part of this wiring ever gets cut, damaged, etc, all I need to do is pop off the new spade I added from the pump and reconnect the original spade, about a 10 second process.

I hope this write up helps someone give this project a try. If you are new to 12 volt projects this one is very simple, and a good place to get your feet wet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-CJ

Last edited by climberjohn on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice solution and execution to this Climberjohn.
Applause
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

The guys at my work learned long ago to just come tell me when I leave my lights on...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't forget to update your location in your profile when you're detailing your kill switch information.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climberjohn, excellent write-up. Thanks.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

That is a nice write-up. I need to get on that, myself. Thank you!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:

Don't forget to update your location in your profile when you're detailing your kill switch information.

Hee hee, you're funny. Just for that post, I'm going to add another kill switch to the ECU that you'll NEVER find Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: