Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58 Standard with German Dash Stickers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: '58 Standard with German Dash Stickers Reply with quote

These stickers have me stumped. Is this a common thing to see on older split's?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't tell me you really think thats proper German? "drizzleflippen"? Very Happy
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think it's proper German. Just wondering if these are a common thing.

Das Glimmerblinken!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them once or twice before, but I've never seen them for sale... just in other cars. People get funny looks on their faces when they read them Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joke stickers.

They appear to be fairly recent as they are much nicer than the patina of the bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a European 60 bug that has the SAME decals!
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Derricks dash...

Sorry for the blur Embarassed

Same exact decals though!
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of more than a few buses/bugs with these stickers.

If they are clues to being a euro model vehicle, what makes a "Euro" model unique? I don't know enough about euro specifications, can anybody help out?
Levonbenelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are not clues to a euro model, they are a gag... anyone could put them on...or not.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:
I've heard of more than a few buses/bugs with these stickers.

If they are clues to being a euro model vehicle, what makes a "Euro" model unique? I don't know enough about euro specifications, can anybody help out?

Those were stickers you got at JC Whitney back in the 60's.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
max-five
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those were a JC Whitney item back in the early/middle sixties and were rather popular. In those days, an import was rather an exotic thing for most people and this was a way of having fun with it.
Want to buy your original German black '66 bug front seat upholstery...all or part
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

max-five wrote:
Yes, those were a JC Whitney item back in the early/middle sixties

They were named Warshawski's back then, no?

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love "das schmokegedunka"

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derv wrote:
max-five wrote:

At one point in the 70's I was getting the exact same catalogs from both JC Whitney and from Warshawsky's so I knew they were one and the same but I never knew which one was the parent company. They never did learn how to pack parts, scrap boxes and a couple sheets of newspaper just didn't make it.
... a bit of history courtesy of WikiPedia ...
Quote:
J.C. Whitney is the largest direct marketer of auto parts and accessories. The company began life in 1915 as The Warshawsky Company, a scrap metal yard on the South Side of Chicago. The company's founder was a Lithuanian immigrant named Israel Warshawsky. Throughout World War I, Israel bought failed auto manufacturers and added new parts to his inventory. The Warshawky Company continued to grow, even during the Great Depression.

In 1934, Israel's son Roy joined his father at the company after graduating from the University of Chicago. Roy proposed expanding out from the Chicago-area with a nationwide catalog and placed an ad in Popular Mechanics for sixty dollars. The ad offered readers a "giant auto parts catalog" if they sent in twenty-five cents and response to the ad was huge.

Roy took charge after his father's death in 1943. He continued to grow the business through World War II, always developing new strategies in response to changing customer needs.

Roy retired in 1991.

In 2002, The Riverside Company acquired JC Whitney.
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
derv wrote:
max-five wrote:

At one point in the 70's I was getting the exact same catalogs from both JC Whitney and from Warshawsky's so I knew they were one and the same but I never knew which one was the parent company. They never did learn how to pack parts, scrap boxes and a couple sheets of newspaper just didn't make it.
... a bit of history courtesy of WikiPedia ...
Quote:
J.C. Whitney is the largest direct marketer of auto parts and accessories. The company began life in 1915 as The Warshawsky Company, a scrap metal yard on the South Side of Chicago. The company's founder was a Lithuanian immigrant named Israel Warshawsky. Throughout World War I, Israel bought failed auto manufacturers and added new parts to his inventory. The Warshawky Company continued to grow, even during the Great Depression.

In 1934, Israel's son Roy joined his father at the company after graduating from the University of Chicago. Roy proposed expanding out from the Chicago-area with a nationwide catalog and placed an ad in Popular Mechanics for sixty dollars. The ad offered readers a "giant auto parts catalog" if they sent in twenty-five cents and response to the ad was huge.

Roy took charge after his father's death in 1943. He continued to grow the business through World War II, always developing new strategies in response to changing customer needs.

Roy retired in 1991.

In 2002, The Riverside Company acquired JC Whitney.

That is classic info right there. I remember going to Warshawsky's back in the late 80's to buy my chrome engine tin, gasket kits, and other worthless junk, but I do remember how cool that old building was. You would walk in and see about 100 catalogue stands, pick out what you want and fill out a form (still have one filled out) and hand it to a guy behind the counter. Wait for a few minutes, sometimes longer, and out this huge ramp on your left slid down your parts from the warehouse.

Brings back memories, even if they sold mostly junk. The warehouse used to be on 22nd street I believe just west of Chinatown.

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some labels on my square that say the same thing but they don't look like those stickers. pictures are in my album below. cool labels!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...D=21765171

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...i=21765179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a meth-head got ahold of a hand labeler!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Looks like a meth-head got ahold of a hand labeler and a square!

Wink
rhiggin71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to encourage anyone but I LOL'd at "das Glimmerblinken".
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i laughed out loud when i first got in the car. i'm glad i ran into this post cause now i know where the idea came from Smile Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: