Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strato silver paint code ppg
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: strato silver paint code ppg Reply with quote

Does any one have the paint codes for strato silver in PPG ?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: paint code Reply with quote

Strato Silver 1954 - 1956

Paint code PPG / Ditzler
L227 31550

Just had to look in Samba technical / paint colors
Not everyone knows about the wealth of information that is online !

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much i have tried to search but had no luck. awsome I'll post pics of before and after
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was searching for the formula for Strato Silver, I took that PPG code to the paint store and they told me those numbers didn't mean a thing to them. I located a Glasurit dealer but when I found out the cost was over $600 per gallon I decided to go another route. The local NAPA store was able to match the paint from the glove box door with their computer. I think it turned out ok. Strato Silver tends to look different under various lighting conditions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Beetle
72 Schnepp XL13 Vintage Formula Vee
72 Caldwell D13 Vintage Formula Vee
71 Super Beetle convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

How much does the actual cost of paint vary anyway?

Is cost a good indicator of quality?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63bug wrote:
When I was searching for the formula for Strato Silver, I took that PPG code to the paint store and they told me those numbers didn't mean a thing to them. I located a Glasurit dealer but when I found out the cost was over $600 per gallon I decided to go another route. The local NAPA store was able to match the paint from the glove box door with their computer. I think it turned out ok. Strato Silver tends to look different under various lighting conditions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I'd step up and pay the 600. With reducer a gallon goes a long way....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Hi again,

Keep looking, the paint is available. Most likely it will not be the newer base coat clear coat system but the old Single Stage, mix in the hardener type paint. I KNOW that is available.

I can get it locally without any problem here in NJ (and everybody thinks California is the place to be!!)

Many stores when they hear 1957 panic and write you off with very little effort put forth to help you. Heck, the larger percentage of the us population weren't yet alive in 1957!

Find a helpful auto paint store and give them your business!

If you cannot find it let me know, I'll verify that I can get it and give you details.
Typically a quart of Single stage with hardener and thinner will set you back about $ 100 Gallons typically cost less than 4 quarts.

Is it possible this paint has been outlawed in California with all of their emission laws on paint products???

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again
We will be using base coat clear coat so im going to see if we can get them to match the ppg codes? If not i may use the glasuret for $600.00 a gallon Sad I'll let you guys know
karl
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: paint Reply with quote

Good Morning

OK people, these people have what you want at a reasonable price. They will ship to you.

Pick your color
pick your paint type preferences
Order

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

Hope it works for you

Dave
Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46split wrote:
Hello again
We will be using base coat clear coat so im going to see if we can get them to match the ppg codes? If not i may use the glasuret for $600.00 a gallon Sad I'll let you guys know
karl

L227 is the VW code, you can use that code for dupont/Standox/PPG/Sikkens/RM/Glasurit etc...

What you must keep in mind is that every year literally thousands of formulas are added. Paint technology is changing and many older formulas contained led and or other products that are no longer used. So having someone spend days getting a color formula for a 50's beetle became somewhat low on the list of priorities.

L227 is still a valid code your best bet is a jobber that sells Glassurit/RM,

couldn't find it with sikkens, and Dupont doesn't have a formula for L227 unless you want to switch to waterborne.

Air Riders, VW Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
RM paint - L227 available in Diamont (Base Clear)
and Glasurit Line 55
Painting the exterior you'd need about 2.5 quarts of either paint.
So complete inside and jambs you'd be best to get yourself a full gallon and be safe. my 2 cents
Cheers!

Air Riders, VW Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPG has the code for it, have a dealer call the PPG paint library. I had some strato silver mixed in their Omni line and it is cheap, $30 a quart for MBC base coat. I use Dupont Nason clear over it and it works perfect for an economical paint job.
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your responces. I had a hell of a week but i have found an exact match from BASF( BASF codes do not drop off like paint shops if they do not sell the color for a long period of time)which has the ability to cross refrence ppg and Sherwin-williams auto paint This link will cross refrence the L227 or the 31550 ppg code.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/formula/car_finder.cfm

I think all in for paint clear coat etc under 350.00.
i recieved a sample today and it looks like some of the strato silver cars on the samba, but it seems darker than others ( and has a very very slight green tint to it with silver) but definetly has blue in it. Hopefully when done it will look awsome. I'll send pics
Again thanks
karl
Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

46split wrote:

i recieved a sample today and it looks like some of the strato silver cars on the samba, but it seems darker than others ( and has a very very slight green tint to it with silver) but definetly has blue in it. Hopefully when done it will look awsome. I'll send pics
Again thanks
karl

There are several reasons a color will look different.
The camera the picture was taken with, film/digital, the way the pictures were processed, the angle the light was shinning on the car etc..

Even the same paint same manufacturer can look different just depending on how it is sprayed.

If your painter holds the gun closer to the job, slows down his spray speed, drops the air pressure to the gun or even if the shop is colder the color will be darker.
The wetter the paint is put on the more likely the metallic (silver will drop to the back (reflecting less light) making it appear darker(bluer)

If your after a lighter color do all or some of the opposite.

It will look good a long as painting conditions are consistent.
Cheers

Air Riders, VW Club
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples can be misleading since they are mixing such a small batch that the machine simply can't dispense the tiny amounts of pigment accurately. I mean, you scale the formula down to where you're talking a 1/4 drop of something and all bets are off.

Spend the money and have them mix at least a pint if you really want to see what the paint is going to look like, especially with a crazy color like Strato Silver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: