Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Good, clean fun . . . Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Packed up out of Yosemite and stayed the night after a rainstorm in Ludlow.
Havent really had the time to actually drive the van after working on the conversion. Well quick stop for a week in Durango to run the COBDR on motorcycles and then to nashville for the winter

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Couple days of climbing on east side of Cascades

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Old vano took me from Mariposa, Ca through Durango (where i stopped for a week dirtbiking the COBDR) then on through Dallas to Nashville (home).

I took the fools path with no tools, no spares, no nothing. She didnt lead me astray. Almost ran out of gas in little rock trying to calibrate my fuel gauge-turns out with all the dents on my tank its max 14.5 gallons!

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
DehlerPEB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Moved Garden Stuff,

the complete interieur was filled ..... took 2hours to dig it out at one location (got them for free, "Chinaschilf", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscanthus_sinensis, 8 feet tall and appr. 150kg for 3 plant balls).

They will end up as a visual barrier to block the view into my garden ...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The van rolled over 300,000 miles on this past weekend's trip.

Stats:

1983 Vanagon Westfalia, 3rd owner, 2nd engine
300,456 total miles
178,858 on current engine, a 2.0 AC Boston Bob build.
178,858 on current transmission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:

178,858 on current engine, a 2.0 AC Boston Bob build.
178,858 on current transmission

impressive numbers

Applause

English is a second language to me
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Conquered the Shafer Trail and Potash Road in Canyonlands NP.

4WD recommended? Rolling Eyes

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^ awesome. Not too hot in town this week either.

-Joe
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

R0ckyMtnCamper wrote:
Conquered the Shafer Trail and Potash Road in Canyonlands NP.

4WD recommended? Rolling Eyes

Oh, that's a pretty area. Spent a few weeks there climbing along Potash and some desert towers. It's raining here. Sad
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Did a little work in advance of heating season, hauling four loads of oak from a neighbor's yard down the block. Distance was short and driving wasn't the hard part.

Van gets to rest again while the splitting and stacking takes place.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Decided on Thursday afternoon to flee the early snow and drove down to Albuquerque for the weekend. Wanted to check out Balloons and Buses and to watch the eclipse.
Spent the night in Crestone.

Continued on the next morning Along the way , picked this guy up. He was riding from Durango to Branson . Had a flat and no more tubes. Great to be able fit him and bike in the van! Dropped him off at a bike shop in Santa Fe.

Finally arrived at Andy's(Vanis13) place in Albuquerque. After catching up, we headed over to the Buses and Balloons event to check it out. Lots of great buses and got to meet fellow Sambanistas Mr & Mrs fxr.
Some great people, the fxr's and Vanis13

Unfortunetly, Andy and I did not spend the night at Buses and Balloons but were going to come back before dawn to watch balloon and hang at Buses and Balloons for the eclipse. Left his house at 4:45 for the 15 minute drive. Hit traffic 1.5 miles from Buses and Ballons and spent the next 3 hours going that 1.5 miles.... Missed the dawn patrol launch of balloons but still watched the eclipse with a bunch of VW people. Wish I had the means to get a good pic of the "Ring of Fire".

Also got to tinker on Andy's and my van. Andy is working on an A/C install that I'm sure he'll share here. We also installed the Vanistan seat tilt kit on a van for one of Andy's friends. I brought a kit home for my own van and will take some pics when I install it.
Altogether, a fun weekend when the drive goes smoothly, you get to meet great people, and the weather is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
Decided on Thursday afternoon to flee the early snow and drove down to Albuquerque for the weekend. Wanted to check out Balloons and Buses and to watch the eclipse.
Spent the night in Crestone.

Continued on the next morning Along the way , picked this guy up. He was riding from Durango to Branson . Had a flat and no more tubes. Great to be able fit him and bike in the van! Dropped him off at a bike shop in Santa Fe.

Finally arrived at Andy's(Vanis13) place in Albuquerque. After catching up, we headed over to the Buses and Balloons event to check it out. Lots of great buses and got to meet fellow Sambanistas Mr & Mrs fxr.

Unfortunetly, Andy and I did not spend the night at Buses and Balloons but were going to come back before dawn to watch balloon and hang at Buses and Balloons for the eclipse. Left his house at 4:45 for the 15 minute drive. Hit traffic 1.5 miles from Buses and Ballons and spent the next 3 hours going that 1.5 miles.... Missed the dawn patrol launch of balloons but still watched the eclipse with a bunch of VW people. Wish I had the means to get a good pic of the "Ring of Fire".

Also got to tinker on Andy's and my van. Andy is working on an A/C install that I'm sure he'll share here. We also installed the Vanistan seat tilt kit on a van for one of Andy's friends. I brought a kit home for my own van and will take some pics when I install it.
Altogether, a fun weekend when the drive goes smoothly, you get to meet great people, and the weather is good.
Great post and AWESOME that you were able to help the Biker out with the ride. I bet he spreads the good word about you and the Vanagon for months or years to come. Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Delivered 250 lbs of donated steel to an art welder friend in the Methow Valley from Seattle. A bit sluggy over the North Cascades Hwy before it closes for snow. Then did a 700 mile loop in eastern WA.

Amazing landscapes. If you are not familiar with the Ice Age Floods story, check it out: https://www.iafi.org/intro/

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took advantage of a promo (100.00 off), bought four Nexen SB 802 tires. Hauled them to my tire guy in the Syncro.
They will be mounted on the Frankenbug tomorrow.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:

That was great meeting you and Andy, and exchanging ideas. Smile Looking forward to a reveal of Andy's A/C project.

Here's a quick time-lapse video taken by Allan, another Van guy from Alaska IIRC:

Link

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

They have 20 acres and 10 dog beds but they jump in the van to nap Very Happy

-Joe
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
They have 20 acres and 10 dog beds but they jump in the van to nap Very Happy

-Joe

Better to not risk being left at home! Laughing
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

temp gauge was a lil wonky. it's generally pegged dead center, maybe a tad under. coolant refill/overflow appears to be too full and this has never happened before. I'm losing no coolant at heads or anywhere else, so I decide to drive the van and get it nice and hot and see what happens with the radiator bleeder.

Get to a nice, steep front end incline, twist the screw and air hisses out followed by some bubbly coolant. top of the radiator isn't as hot as I think it should be and I drive home.

Upon getting home, I check the radiator and i'm missing a clamp on a radiator pipe/hose. Glad the hose didn't go flying and hoping that this is the issue!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

Get to a nice, steep front end incline, twist the screw and air hisses out followed by some bubbly coolant. top of the radiator isn't as hot as I think it should be and I drive home.

Upon getting home, I check the radiator and i'm missing a clamp on a radiator pipe/hose. Glad the hose didn't go flying and hoping that this is the issue!

It takes some time to get all of the air out, which isn't surprising considering the length and complexity of the system. Open up both heater valves fully, and don't forget to bleed the rear core as it is also a high point. I keep checking for air for 3-4 drives until it's all out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 89

Jump to: