Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for joescoolcustoms............ bending tube.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Question for joescoolcustoms............ bending tube. Reply with quote

I used the search engine and found this thread. Wink Wasn't sure if I should dig up the old thread or do it this way.

Joe, you said you used 1 5/8 inch, 0.134 wall, DOM. What sized die shoe was it that you used.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230317&highlight=benders

My neighbor needs to build a roll cage for a drag beetle and I need to build my cage for my FG car. I want to make your jig but wondered about the shoe size.
The tube has to fit "tight" in the shoe before bending correct.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to go a manufactured tubing bender...

Maybe you can at least try and do it rigt by building a low cost one....

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Tools/Tube%20Bender/Tubingbender.htm

By the way.... Throw HF tubing kinker away...... You will ruin more tubing than the cost of a decent bender....

http://www.jd2.com/m3b.htm

Incidentally die size is same dimension as tubing.... 1-5/8 tubing, requires a "1-5/8" die....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

If someone thinks they can get the results Joe did, who are you to tell them differently? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
By the way.... Throw HF tubing kinker away...... You will ruin more tubing than the cost of a decent bender....

I hope you don't think that cost of $295.00 is what it will take to bend tube, with shipping, your looking about a $1000 bucks for a JD2.....shipping on the dies is nasty..... Wink
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find one locally for that price I would have it at home by now. I also have the border to contend with duty, brokerage fees, shipping as mentioned etc .We have a pipe bender already so I want to utilize it.

The reason I am questioning the shoe size is.....
If I have this correct (and I'm not sure that I do) pipe is measured OD tube is measure ID. SO a die shoe on a Pipe bender would be 1.625"
Would a shoe for a Tube bender be 1.625+ wall thickness twice .134. In Joe's case 1.893 . I know the shoe is going to say 1.625 but what does it actually measure at? Do I have this right?

I'm thinking we need a Tube shoe and will not be able to use the Pipe shoe. The bends we have tried has egg shaped the pipe slightly because the shoe was to wide. So it is on the way of kinking. If Joe's modifications will stop this I'm all set.
Just need some clarification.
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
If I could find one locally for that price I would have it at home by now. I also have the border to contend with duty, brokerage fees, shipping as mentioned etc .We have a pipe bender already so I want to utilize it.

The reason I am questioning the shoe size is.....
If I have this correct (and I'm not sure that I do) pipe is measured OD tube is measure ID. SO a die shoe on a Pipe bender would be 1.625"
Would a shoe for a Tube bender be 1.625+ wall thickness twice .134. In Joe's case 1.893 . I know the shoe is going to say 1.625 but what does it actually measure at? Do I have this right?

I'm thinking we need a Tube shoe and will not be able to use the Pipe shoe. The bends we have tried has egg shaped the pipe slightly because the shoe was to wide. So it is on the way of kinking. If Joe's modifications will stop this I'm all set.
Just need some clarification.

Glasser your close , but backwards..... Very Happy

Pipe is measured by ID

Tube is measured by OD

This is where the HB PIPE bender causes problems, because the shoes are for ID pipe, therefore they are to LARGE for OD tube.

Joe told me and I know he will respond, is he got lucky and one of the PIPE shoes fit his 1 5/8 tube almost perfectly.

From research that I have done Glasser, allot of the 4x4 guys go down to the next size smaller shoe, another words if you are doing 1 1/2" use the 1 1/4" shoe, some have even gone as far as using a die grinder and fitting the smaller shoe perfectly to the tube their are bending.

Joes system and fitting the shoe seem like a good combination to me to try for the money.

My main concern was time pulling in and out to test fit, and figuring angles, the JD2 with the degree ring would make this much easier, but hey, how often are ya going to use it.

I called just the other day for prices, and for a 1.5" and a 1" die with stand, bender, and handle, shipped to me was going to be near $1000.00
and here I have a $6000.00 Ben Pearson Muffler shop bender already sitting here..... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mr Bs Bug N Buggy on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
aquamanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread also http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2578535&highlight=#2578535

I got a pro tools bender for 635.oo shipped to my door, it works great!
Here's a pic of the bender mounted to my shop driveway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

If someone thinks they can get the results Joe did, who are you to tell them differently? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

I hope you don't think that cost of $295.00 is what it will take to bend tube, with shipping, your looking about a $1000 bucks for a JD2.....shipping on the dies is nasty..... Wink

Guess the phrase "Been there... Done that..... Didn't get "t" shirt" would be lost on you ........

Assisting 5th buggy build with custom roll cages and at the price of DOM of CHROME MOLLY tubing you can ruin more tubing with cheap bender to justify cost of quality tool....

$300 for bender and $250 for a die does not add up to $1000....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Quote:

Would the phrase "been there... done that..... didn't get "t" shirt" mean anything to you........ On 5th buggy build with custon roll cages and at the price of DOM of CHROME MOLLY tubing you can ruin more tubing with cheap bender to justify cost of quality tool....

$300 for bender and $150 for a die does not add up to $1000....

No you don't need hydraulics and fancy protractors and all the frills...

Dale

Please show me where on your link you can get a 1.5" die for $150.00... Rolling Eyes
and you might want to enquire about shipping those items, if you READ my above post, I stated a BENDER, STAND,HANDLE, 1.5" and a 1" die set shipped to me from Medford was over a $1000.00, that's not hydraulic or FANCY PROTRACTORS or any more FRILLS, and it would be shipped in three boxes, I've done my homework...... Rolling Eyes

I prefer side bars, dash bar, and seat belt bar to be done in smaller size, this is the reason for two die sets, money can be saved by only buying one set and doing everything in the same size, just not the way I wanted to do it, that is a matter of choice.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Quote:

Would the phrase "been there... done that..... didn't get "t" shirt" mean anything to you........ On 5th buggy build with custon roll cages and at the price of DOM of CHROME MOLLY tubing you can ruin more tubing with cheap bender to justify cost of quality tool....

$300 for bender and $150 for a die does not add up to $1000....

No you don't need hydraulics and fancy protractors and all the frills...

Dale

Please show me where on your link you can get a 1.5" die for $150.00... Rolling Eyes
and you might want to enquire about shipping those items, if you READ my above post, I stated a BENDER, STAND,HANDLE, 1.5" and a 1" die set shipped to me from Medford was over a $1000.00, that's not hydraulic or FANCY PROTRACTORS or any more FRILLS, and it would be shipped in three boxes, I've done my homework...... Rolling Eyes

I prefer side bars, dash bar, and seat belt bar to be done in smaller size, this is the reason for two die sets, money can be saved by only buying one set and doing everything in the same size, just not the way I wanted to do it, that is a matter of choice.

The $150 price for die, was a mistype, if you will reread my post I corrected it to read $250....

If one is innovative you don't need to spend on extra for stand and handle and degree wheels.... IF you are capable of bending tubing and welding steel to make roll cage you can certionally make stand out of "found" materials use something like hydraulic floor jack handle for extension....

Sure it nice to have all the frills and bells and whistles, but then again what you can do your self is silly to pay for other to do and then ship to you..........

Some of up prefer to have side bars and other components of cage in same diameter tubing so cost of "extra" die is non issue in this discussion ... its you personal choice to spend the extra dollars for the additional die...

Here is interesting alternative.........

http://www.pro-tools.com/200k.htm

Also a GOOGLE search produces at least 1,700,000 hits for phrase "TUBING BENDER". Surely there is a DEAL out there for the frugal minded that still want quality tool....

Dale

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, I think we are on two different pages here.....Glasser was asking Joe a question about his system, funny enough, I have been in contact with him over PM's about it also, and have done a ton of research on the net, which will lead you to allot of 4x4 forums about the HF bender.

You then say....

Quote:

which in my opinion sounds sarcastic, as if Glasser does not want to do it right......which after looking at his build thread of his chassis he is capable of doing, as long as I am remembering the correct person... Rolling Eyes

My point in responding is if you re-read it is , if he thinks he can get the same results, what's wrong with trying........he knows what he is doing, and if he screws up a couple chunks of tube he will move on, but Joe got some Damn good results out of his little system, that now that people can see how to make it, could be made in an hour.

Here's some of his results, with his modified bender, he is probably in less than $100.00, Don't get me wrong, I know a good tool from a bad, but when I see results like this for a tool that is not used very often, I have to look into it not just discount it because I am told to.

aquamanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 150 but 175 will get ya a 1.5" die here's the link http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/catalog/protools-tube-dies-c-1_7_23.html

That cage looks damn good to me
and for a bender that is only 100 bucks, I guess it maybe worth a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about being slow to reply, but Thanksgiving was yesterday and I eat until I cannot breathe, then pass out, wake up eat again until I cannot breathe, reapeat as neccessay. I have finally woke up enough to sit upright to read and look at the Samba.

So, if my wife was home from work yet she would back me up on this next statement. I am one cheap SOB. If I can use what I have to perform quality work with, I will not purchase anything more, (unless some one has a good deal on a forged 86 mm stoke crank, 94 mm wiseco pistons, Jaycee cylinders and some H-Beam 5.6 chevy journal rods, wait, that is another thread). Please do not mistake my cheapness with the lack of a quest of quality product or workmanship.

I was just a couple mouse clicks from buying a $ 1328.00 bending setup with the dies I thought I may use, when I looked around and saw that POS HF Kinker I mounted to a small stand that produces the most beautiful kinked pipe bends. Being a tinkerier that I am, (cheap too), I just could not get past the fact that HF did have some good shoes but just not a good way of holding the pipe/tube to keep it from rising in the middle to make a bend. I had already purchased my Drag Car 1 5/8 inch DOM tubing and needed some way to bend it for what I needed to modify on my tube chassis to make it a ladder bar coil over setup, (hence the almost $ 1328 purchase). After looking at the fitment on the HF 1 1/4 shoe, (it is the 1 1/4 shoe that fits the 1 5/8 tubing very well), I came up with a quick idea of making something that would not only hold the middle of the bend fromrising and kinking, (could be done with just a simple strap) but also keep the tube from flattening at the bend apex.

The pictures show and thread describes what I did to make it happen. I grabbed a leftover peice of leaf spring form a jeep project long gone, heated it red hot, and bent it almost into a circle around the 1 5/8 tube. Cut a 180 degree section out of it and welded a strap to each side of the half moon spring section. Drilled a hole through the 1 1/4 shoe, inserted the bolt through the newly built shoe and the die was complete. I painted it black so as to identify it as a set because if it worked, I would make more shoes for some other common used sizes and then paint them a differant color as well.

This first picture is the wasted 1 5/8 tubing I had left over form the buggy cage I have built, (minus one 11 inch section I welded a bearing race to to use as a jig to press pinion bearings on a 12 bolt chevy rear end, loaned it to a friend this weekend). I started out with 2 joints of 1 5/8 tubing, (21 foot per joint).

This second picture is of the 1 5/8 shoe installed onto the longest peice I have left. You can notice the tight fitment of the original HF shoe and my bastard adaptation.

The question or statement came up about how do you check your angle bent or do you waste time bending, checking, re bending, checking. The nice benders come with angle gauges to tell you where you are in the bend. Well remember the Cheap SOB I am? Here is a picture of my angle gauge installed on the HF Kinker.

The angle gauge is two angle finders, (from HF at about $ 12 each I think, I already had one to set pinion angle on V8 drag cars). Once the slack is taken out of the HF Kinker, you zero your gauges, then bend each guage to half the bend needed. If I needed a 84 degree angle, (Second hoop, top bend on buggy cage), then each gauge should read 42 degrees. You really only need on gauge because the HF Kinker does a good job of evenly bending the angle on each side.

Now the question of quality of bend. Look at my bends in the picture. No inside kinks. No outside kinks. No flattening of the bend in the apex. No ruined tubing, (Cheap remember, I will not bend unless I am sure of the angle and shape I need. Steel is expensive and I do not wish to waste money buying tubing I do not need).

I have looked at bends made by the JD squared bender and others, they do not look as good as mine. Both will be just as strong, (DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A SLAM ON THE JD MODEL) and perform the same stressed function when put to the test.

The question about time. I built the roll cage complete in one Saturday. I did know what I wanted before ever turning the lights on the the garage, but one Saturday using a untried bender. It takes longer to pump the jack handle to the height needed to make the angle bend needed than it does to install the bending shoe, (5 seconds) or remove the shoe once complete, (30 seconds).

I am not implying, stating, recommending, selling, pushing, representing in any way the HF Kinker as a perfect bender that everyone should own. I am just one person that is cost concious and likes being able to use what I have bought and I have the abality to fabricate, weld, modify, change, machine just about anything to do something else with. I will stand my chage up to any NHRA, IHRA, IMCA, SCCA inspection based on quality of my workmanship, (I know that this cage would not pass inspection for design at certian speeds for racing, but I did not intend it to be. My drag car will pass the inspection once I start on it, just need more 1 5/8 tubing now.)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the record, I did not make the rear bumper. It is a bugpack model that I modified to fit my lights, chassis and body.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser if you have issues with your pipe bender then Gregg Distributors should have a tube bender for a good price. http://www.greggdistributors.ca/calgary.htm
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First THANK YOU ALL for the feedback. What would we do with out the web, this great site and awesome members.

Mr Bs Bug N Buggy, Thank you for your input. Yes that is my thread on the chassis. Your quote
Quote:
but when I see results like this for a tool that is not used very often, I have to look into it not just discount it because I am told to.
I could not have worded it any better. If I was going to build 5 cars then "per car" I could justify buying a new tube bender. Chances are I wont ever use a bender again. OK never say never but certainly not in the near future.

I can appreciate what you are saying Dale but if I can run my buggy to work and back on low octane gas why run premium. I'm not trying to be smart, I'm on a very tight budget with this car and yet I don't want to cut any corners. With Joe's method and modifications I don't feel I am cutting any corners as the bends look awesome. Will it be as easy, NO but I am willing to go the extra distance if I need to.
I could go to my wifes cousin's sons shop (That was a mouth full). He builds certified NHRA cages.... whole cars for that matter. But I have a deep desire to be able to say when people ask "did you build this car" and I can say yes I did. THAT is what it is all about for me and I am enjoying every second of the build. Doing things the hard way only makes me feel that much better after I conquer what ever I am up against. Not that I want to do everything the hard way. Again just need to save money where I can.

Lastly Joe, awesome information. I now feel comfortable enough to go out and buy some tube. If you said you scrapped 1 piece out of every 5 I would be hesitant but it sounds like you have the system down and it is working well for you. Another great quote..
Quote:
I am one cheap SOB. If I can use what I have to perform quality work with, I will not purchase anything more

If you saw the tools I am building my frame with you would know how true that statement is. The great thing is it is turning out so well one would think is was made in a fab shop. It doesn't get any better than that!

ManxBug, I looked and could not find anything under tube or bender. Only light conduit benders or pipe benders. But thanks any way.

Thanks again all!

Brent
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple general comments about bending tubing.

The tubing has a slight memory. When bending the tubing, it will spring back slightly once the bending pressure is released. On my HF Kinker, I had to go over my desired bend angle about 3 to 4 degrees (1 1/2 degree per side) and when pressure was released, it sprang back to my desired angle.

It is so easy to miss-bend a peice of tubing. I do not mean kinking the bend. I mean bending in the wrong location, bending the wrong direction, not have enough tubing left and one leg ends up short after the bend. So, when someone states they wasted a lot of tubing, don't always blame the bender, it may be the bender operator. If your are doing this once or just as a hobby, slow down just a little, draw what you want, (on the garage floor if needed), don't measure twice, measure five times., but be sure what bend you are making, where you are making it on the tube so you don't waste money.

Before ordering tubing, measure how much you will need. I have about 32 feet of tubing in that little buggy cage. 12 foot for front hoop, 11 foot for rear hoop... get the idea. (For me to get DOM tubing, I have to order 2 weeks in advance, minimum of $ 200 order and I have to pick up at their wharehouse location, hard at 21 foot joints.)

Fish-mouthing joints. Another POS from HF, is a cheap version of the old "Joint Jigger". I know this adds to the construction cost, but the quality of build it helps acheive is more than worth the money. I think I paid about $ 49 for mine from HF. I have used it on 4 cages now, and it still works well, (had to shim the tube holder to center it under the hole saw).

Now if you cannot weld very well, cannot or do not know exactly what you want in a cage, don't have some basic fab tools, (welder, grinder, way to cut tubing, personal protective equipment, know a little about geometry) it may be best to get someone to do this for you. I am not trying to discurage anyone, but for your and your family's safety, you do not want to get smacked upside the head with a peice of stray tubing while driving or offroading.

But if you can make a boxed frame, install your own pan haves, narrow a beam, install adjusters in a beam, you most likely can fab your own cage.

Now start that winter cage project you have been talking about for the last two years!!!!

aquamanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
(had to shim the tube holder to center it under the hole saw)

They (H.F. notchers) must all be that way, I had to shim mine as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: