Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

has anyone done the bostig conversion?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

It looks like its the easiest to install as well as the most tuneable. Just curious as to what others opinions are one these. And I know its a ford engine. But that means its easy to come by and replace.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the availability of parts and tuning stuff is pretty good on the zetec engines. And, I've read several very good reports of their customer service on this forum. I met a guy here in my town, just a couple of weeks ago, who has one of their first conversions in his Vanagon. He seemed very pleased with it and also said good things about their customer service.
'96 BMW R1100GS
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

i have one, and so far i love it. it was easy to install, and the support is beyond great.

i just took it on a 5000 mile road trip and i only had one problem that was my fault. the alternator wire they sent me was cut a bit short, so i made my own, despite their offer to ship me a new one. turns out i suck, and one of the terminals got loose and caused the alternator to overload. i got a new alternator at a part store 1 mile from where i broke down and i was on the road in no time. i was in some po-dunk town in CO, so i was very happy not to tell them i have a vw.

performance wise it ran great. i have HUGE fat, mud terrain tires, so the motor has to work a little harder in my van, but it still could cruise 75-85 all day. i have a GL, but it was loaded with a westy sink/stove, 2 dogs, 2 adults, a 3yo, and lots of camping crap. on really windy days it was more of a struggle, but i'm talking crazy santa ana winds, during that week when AZ got a bunch of rain.

in the CO highway 70 pass it did pretty well, but i think the tires/gearing made it a bit slower. the zetec is a little week around the 3k range, it pulls good from like 2k up, but if it has to work, it likes 3600+rpm a bit more than 3k. in 3rd gear on the steep section of the climb to the summit, i would be in that 3k range, but when i went to 2nd, it was at like the 5k. i think with smaller standard tires i could have done the whole climb without getting into 2nd.

search for zetec, you'll find more post about my experience. here's a link to pics of my install...

http://planetpayne.com/photos.cgi?/cars/current_cars/1986_syncro_vanagon/zetec_install
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Brady's van (the Bostig development van) a couple of years ago, looked like a real slick conversion, and had a pretty long conversation with him about them trying to blow up the motor, by over revving it, by running it with almost no oil, by rolling the van (not on purpose but the motor handled it just fine)...etc. That would be my first choice if I had the money.

-Glenn
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is spendy. This would be a down the road type deal. At this point my 2.1 runs strong and I have no real problems with it. But at some point im thinking I would like to do a conversion. And it seems to be the simplest my reliable way to go. Only problem is the cost.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsierra123 wrote:
Yeah it is spendy. This would be a down the road type deal. At this point my 2.1 runs strong and I have no real problems with it. But at some point im thinking I would like to do a conversion. And it seems to be the simplest my reliable way to go. Only problem is the cost.

the DIY kit is definitely a cheaper way to go
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt see one on there site.I will have to look more carefully or do you have to call for pricing on that.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsierra123 wrote:
I didnt see one on there site.I will have to look more carefully or do you have to call for pricing on that.

they call it the Core kit, read this for the latest...

http://bostig.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=2

you have to source your own motor, but if you have a little time that shouldn't be too hard. i would have gone that way, but i was in a hurry and the core kit was still in early beta when i bought mine.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they're almost done with the turbo kit too.
http://bostig.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=2

I'm waiting to see if this might make the zetec a torquier option. With their ability to reflash and run different tunes it seems like you could get a map with the turbo that had good bottom end and didn't use a lot of fuel.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looks like there are a lot of options. And I like the idea of using a plentiful engine that is already pretty big in the tuner market as a cheap tuner car. Means plenty of parts. And they are pulling some serious HP out of these engines.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So their doing a turbo now, i remember Brady's van was supercharged.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there are about 3 or 4 turbos that work with it.
mtac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did a conversion from Bostig.
I had a very good running 2.1 wbx (anybody need one?) in my Syncro but was thinking long term and had been researching the different conversion options for almost a year. The pros and cons of each are well discussed on the site here.
I was a member of the first Bostig Core (beta) and was able to source a used engine with 14k for a very resonable price. I have a total of approx. $4,700 into it.
There were a few gliches in being a part of the first core, but that was to be expected. I think the Bostig guys have pretty well fine tuned the kits and documentation at this point.
What I found in doing this was;
- very high quality parts, stainless steel, aluminium, high grade fasteners
- new wiring and ecu,
- well engineered, designed and machined, it fits and looks like it belongs
- second to none support, Jim and Brady are great! the site is good too
I don't consider myself a mechanic and don't own any special tools but I was able to do this myself, in a carport.
Some secondary benefits in doing the Core was learning about the Zetec and my Syncro. I have a much better understanding in how the systems work and more confidence in the vehicle overall.
Yep, it fired right up and has not caused me any trouble since.
I don't find the power "over the top" but I wasn't after that in the first place. I think that the gearing is pretty good and definately is easier to drive with traffic and in the hills, being able to use more rpms in each gear as needed.
It still "feels" like a Vanagon, sounds very similar to my boxer (I had an S&S exhaust) and is just as smooth, if not quieter.
Is it "spendy"? Probably, if looking at the initial cost. I believe that the cost of ownership over 100K will be less than what is currently out there. Not to mention the piece of mind of a low mileage engine, new wiring/ecu and replacement parts that are cheap and available everywhere.
Bostig worked for me. I am just glad that they are our there, along with the subie and diesels guys, improving the products and giving us options in keeping our rigs on the road.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great comments. I am alos looking at the long run. I want to drive this van for the next 10-15 years. So that will be my plans in the future to get into a low maintenance cost engine.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

allsierra123 wrote:
It looks like its the easiest to install as well as the most tuneable. Just curious as to what others opinions are one these. And I know its a ford engine. But that means its easy to come by and replace.

What does this have that the GoWesty 2.4L WBXR does not?
Similar cost.. similar ease of install.
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
allsierra123 wrote:

Gosh, long list... http://bostig.com/
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
allsierra123 wrote:

err off the top of my head ..
any old grocery store in all of the world will have parts/service at commodity prices for the foreseeable future since Ford have this as a 'world car/motor'
and ..
-modern motor with full ODB-II diags, & ability to load new firmware to ECU
-reliable take a look here smaller % = more reliable search ford focus 98-04
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/car_search.html
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_index_2.html?searchtype=engine
-cheap motors < 800 after the initial conversion parts
but take a gander at www.bostig.com

Last edited by tclark on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone done the bostig conversion? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

ummmm, 20 year old components?

in all seriousness, i thought about a sweet wbx as well, but really my motor needed more than a long block to be truly up to date and reliable. i can't imagine dropping that kind of change just to bolt on my rusty old ass components. i have a personal hatred for late 70's-80's motors, especially those blessed with CA approval. they have all this crazy cobbled together network of venting hoses for everything under the sun, including your coolant system! i like things clean and simple, which is one thing i love about the bostig kit.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial cost is the same as a 2.4 yes. But in the long run less money would be spent on another engine if needed.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my time arrives.......and we all know it will Rolling Eyes I'm leaning towards the Zetec as my replacement of choice. While I have great respect for the improvements that many have made on the wasserboxer, it still doesn't make it a modern engine. The best built waterboxer out there, whether that's Gowesty or some of the other posters on this board (is it tencent that has created an improved wbx?), it's still basically a 20+ year old engine. While there is nothing wrong with a classic engine design, it doesn't have the modern engine management systems that the Zetec has.

I can't imagine that I could replace my current 1.9 with a built 2.1, 2.4, or 2.whatever, and wind up with as efficient and clean running package as the Subie or Zetec conversions.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: