Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what subaru engines are available for conversions?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kayakmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what motors are options to put in my vanagon.
I am aware of a 2.2 and a 2.5 are there any other choices? Does anyone know a good source for these motors on the west coast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early 2.7 has been done.
Loogy has done a 3.3 and the STI turbo.
I believe, not 100% sure, but i think all Subaru engines are the same bellhousing dimensions, therefore the same adapter is required.
I think I even saw a post not long ago about the the 3.0 being done.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in California
I think we're limited to the OBD 1 engines
ie:
the 3.3 and the 2.2 pre 96?
....I don't know of any of the others that have passed the CARB(Cali Air Resources Board) and the BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair)
And with the new green gases act that "Arny" is pushing all swaps may be banned ..I better hurry and finish, before its to late

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SVXVanagon/?yguid=263149606

Owen

Last edited by goffoz on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kayakmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might this one work for my vanagon

SUBARU EJ25D DOHC ENGINE 96-98 LEGACY, 98 FORESTER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will work. However that is the dreaded Phase I 2.5 DOHC. The 1999 and later Phase II SOHC is the one to get and is probably the most popular Subaru/Vanagon conversion engine at this point.

For California the only engine that has CARB exemption is the 1990-1994 2.2. It's a great engine, but these all have a ton of miles on them now. The EG33 doesn't have CARB exemption, but people have successfully gotten theirs through the CARB referee station since it is also OBD 1 and has a very similar engine management system to the 2.2

David
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: what subaru engines are available for conversions? Reply with quote

kayakmaster wrote:
Can anyone tell me what motors are options to put in my vanagon.
I am aware of a 2.2 and a 2.5 are there any other choices? Does anyone know a good source for these motors on the west coast.

If you're NOT in California and have previous conversion skills (or similiar) then I'd go for an SVX EJ33 conversion. If you're in California then go with the 2.2 EJ22 OBD1 ( 1990-1994 ) and save yourself some potential hassle from the DMV. Check out SubaruVanagon where some people have built up a 2.5 short block with 2.2 heads and report a nice increase in power while maintaining the original 2.2 engine harness/engine management.

Having said all that I don't know your requirements. Are you looking to save gas, the environment, tow heavy trailers, 0-60 in under eight seconds ? All of those things obviously affect which is the "best" choice for you.

Good luck,

Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
kayakmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk about those hassles from the dmv as unfortunatley, I do live in California, and I want the bigger motor. The 33 you speak of is that a 3.3 cc size. What a huge performance increase that baby must give. If I show up with my beautiful totally recondition van that looks showroom condition ( which it does) and I present a motor that will pass smog test, can I expect a little compassion from these referees or are there strick guidelines that would prohibit that engine set-up from the get go.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year was it that Subaru went to the buss eletrical system? 2004, 2005? Has anyone has done a harness for this newer version yet?
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayakmaster wrote:
The 33 you speak of is that a 3.3 cc size. What a huge performance increase that baby must give.

Check these sites out:
http://www.smallcar.com/

http://www.vanaru.com/

http://www.vanperformance.com/

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

Plus join the SubaruVanagon Yahoo site for all the information you could need.

I am (still) currently in the process of the '92 EJ22 transplant into my '89 Westy. And I can not wait to get it finished! Razz
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayakmaster wrote:
Lets talk about those hassles from the dmv as unfortunatley, I do live in California, and I want the bigger motor. The 33 you speak of is that a 3.3 cc size. What a huge performance increase that baby must give. If I show up with my beautiful totally recondition van that looks showroom condition ( which it does) and I present a motor that will pass smog test, can I expect a little compassion from these referees or are there strick guidelines that would prohibit that engine set-up from the get go.

Technically speaking, if you install a 3.3 liter SVX motor in California, the state referee will want to see the stock mufflers, the two stock catalytic converters, pre-catalytic converters (whatever that is), etc.,; the end result is this huge "mess" of extra exhaust plumbing running towards the front of the van, then running back. Additionally, the SVX is simply more difficult to install from what I understand and there aren't as many aftermarket parts so you have to go with someone like SmallCar or Vanaru. If you start with a 2.2 you could add a small turbo or supercharger in theory to add extra power but that's another "can of worms". I personally wouldn't mind experimenting with a small turbo setup to add maybe another twenty horsepower or so which gives it the same output as an EJ25 without having to change the actual engine. But that's for another day......like Franklinstower, I'm just eager to finish with my basic EJ22 conversion (soon.....so very soon).

Here's info on the EJ33

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

Contact Marco at The Buslab in Berkeley, California. Tell him Chester sent you. He has an SVX in his personal van and it F L I E S .

http://www.thebuslab.com/

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really ironic, you want to change to a cleaner motor, and the state will not let you. The governor wants less greenhouse gasses, so you have to buy a new car to achieve that by his plan. So, who makes these cars that do not use hydrocarbons as fuel?

CARB head killed off the electric car and left the position to head a company that does fuel cells. Unfortunately, the fuel cells use hydrocarbons as their source of hydrogen at the moment. I really want to know what magic elixir he is talking about to power you vehicle that does not produce carbon.

I hate election years, I almost have to turn off the radio when I drive now. They keep quoting the idiocracy that spews from these guys and gals mouths. They may as well do generic quotes for all of them that simply say: So and so said today, "blah, blah blah." That way we don't suffer as much.

Get a friend in Nevada or Arizona to let you use their address as your mailing address. Register the van there, put any motor you want in. Drive out of the state every 90 days and buy gas to prove it.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
This is really ironic, you want to change to a cleaner motor, and the state will not let you.

Reading about this really gets under my skin. Evil or Very Mad Within the other car communities I'm in, many in CA is afraid that someday their bone stock 60's classics will be illegal. There is some second amendment analogy one could make relating to reoccurring suggestions to new radical laws that are the product of overreacting... but last time I checked, this is not a voting both.

I feel for you car folks in California, I really do. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got out just as my truck that I played with was becoming illegal. would no longer pass emissions due to the exhaust setup and intake. My wife wants to move back but im scared to they are trying to make some crazy laws.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics aside, the act of taking an older vehicle, and making it pollute less than when it was new should be rewarded, not discouraged. At the very least, the state referees should fast-track such a conversion provided it was done safely and not settling on idiotic nitpicking that makes no sense whatsoever such as the orientation the engine is facing.

My conversion will result in a vehicle that produces 95 percent less emissions than the old WBX motor. The State of California's reaction is to find ways of denying me the ability to drive it on public roads..........absurd.

I'm almost done with the work and I've gone with all the Kennedy gear in order to receive the least amount of hassles....but I still don't know what to expect.

Oh, well...

- Chester
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
Politics aside, the act of taking an older vehicle, and making it pollute less than when it was new should be rewarded, not discouraged. At the very least, the state referees should fast-track such a conversion provided it was done safely and not settling on idiotic nitpicking that makes no sense whatsoever such as the orientation the engine is facing.

My conversion will result in a vehicle that produces 95 percent less emissions than the old WBX motor. The State of California's reaction is to find ways of denying me the ability to drive it on public roads..........absurd.

I'm almost done with the work and I've gone with all the Kennedy gear in order to receive the least amount of hassles....but I still don't know what to expect.

Oh, well...

- Chester

It's easy to know what to expect from Gov agencies. Remove all logic and then proceed accordingly.... Follow that simple rule and you will very rarely be disappointed.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
kayakmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: maybe it's a zetec for me Reply with quote

After reading a few more posts and checking out their website. The zetec motor is making more and more sense. I can get a much newer motor with less mile than any 91 thru 94 2.2 subi. I checked my local junk yards and those engines are plentiful some with like 12,000 miles on them. I beleive they are the only tunable option, and if you want more power there are several bolt on ways to get it. In addition to their 100,000 mile ten year warrantee. If I can get it thru ca. carb bullsh** than it seems to be a pretty good choice and the install seems to be pretty easy and I can easily put a higher wattage alternator in it as well which I have always wanted to do. My van is set up with four guages oil temp, oil pressure, cylinder head temp, volts does anybody know if I will still be able to use these vdo guages obviously with new sender units.

Thanks Jack
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to discourage you from a Zetec, but low mile suby engines are readily available. I was at a jdm importer a while back, and they had just received some complete cars that were in the parking lot. I looked at the odometers. The highest mileage one showed 30,000 Kilometers, most of the others were in the 15,000 kilometer range. A good way for someone to get into the suby conversion would be to pick up a dead/very high mileage donor for almost nothing, using everything but the long block from it, and then using a low mileage jdm longblock. (about 700)
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still opt for the Subaru. It just fits the van better. It's wide and low and fits just like a wbx. The Smallcar rear mount and header make for a very stock looking setup in terms of hardware. If you opt for the H&R Motors coolant inlet pipe and a reversed coolant outlet manifold you even get a very simple coolant pipe routing that hooks right up to the standard Vanagon tubes. I personally like the sound and smoothness of a horizontally opposed engine more than the sound of an inline four also.

The Bostig conversion is a very nice piece of work and I'm very impressed with their attention to detail, but it does sit quite low in a 2wd van. (Suposedly Version 2.0 will deal with the low hanging issue.) It also isn't CARB approved yet, so you'd still be on your own with dealing with that. One alternative to a high mileage Subaru 2.2 is to source out a rebuilt one. I know H&R Motors does their conversions with rebuilt ones.

Also, feel free to fire away Subaru conversion questions in this forum. It seems like the standard issue response I see here is "Oh, you need to go to the Subaru/Vanagon Yahoo group." The truth is, there are quite a few of us on here, me included, who have done the Subaru conversion and are more than willing to share some information. It's good to include these conversion threads in our very informative Vanagon forum.

David
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do Subaru lifters chatter so much anyway? Is there a website or Bentley type manual that allows me to adjust them correctly?

1997 DOHC 2.5 known as the Subaru from Hell
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: maybe it's a zetec for me Reply with quote

kayakmaster wrote:
I can get a much newer motor with less mile than any 91 thru 94 2.2 subi.
My van is set up with four guages oil temp, oil pressure, cylinder head temp, volts does anybody know if I will still be able to use these vdo guages obviously with new sender units.

Thanks Jack

Well now, I do not think that newer than that can be found, zetec or others. I just wish I could justify getting that block with my 2.2 heads, no one would be the wiser except me.
..... I think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-2004-to-2006...dZViewItem

>>>YOU ARE PURCHASING A
BRAND NEW
SUBARU STI SHORT BLOCK
Fits the 2004-2006 STi
Complete short engine, block, crank, main bearings, rods, rod bearings, pistons, rings. <<<<<
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: