Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plugging oil galleys article...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Plugging oil galleys article... Reply with quote

I know I have seen one somewhere, but I can't seem to remember where it was. I'd like to plug all the plugs in the case, not just the main galley. Thanks for the info...
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

http://huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: oil galleries... Reply with quote

Here's another at CLF, click on "Technical":

http://cal-look.com/index2.html

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on huelsmann has a few mistakes on it.
The one small plug that is long in the front of the motor should be replaced. It also acts as a flow regulator to the #4 bearing. The Temp sending unit in the oil pump suction port needs to be a very short fitting or you will block or partially block the supply hole to the pump.. You also need to be very careful in threadint that hole. They tend to break because the oil pump supply hole is sometimes only 5mm from the edge of the case.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I knew that there was a more detailed article than the one on CLF.
tim240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing this now on a 40 hp case.
Quote:

The one small plug that is long in the front of the motor should be replaced. It also acts as a flow regulator to the #4 bearing.

Are you saying that this plug should be replaced with an original style plug or that they missed a plug in that write up that needs to be pulled. If you are talking about the small plug that is longer then the rest that steps down a little I still have it and can press it back when I'm done cleaning. This info is vital. Please let us know.
Thanks
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Replace it with the original stepped plug. If not you will get too much oil to the #4 bearing. This will cause oil to leak from the front pulley and blow out the oil fill as the bearing wears.
tim240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy,
thanks a whole lot for this tip. I pulled all of the plugs and I will put the stepped plug back in. I know I should have paid attention but I had not heard about this yet. Could you give me a heads up on which whole the stepped plug went into.
thanks
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: long plug Reply with quote

Jimmy111,

I have the large gallery (that normally comes from the pump) blocked off with a plug. Along with the full-flow setup, I'm wondering what effect, if any, that has on the small gallery that feeds oil to #4 bearing?

Also, would it make sense to deep-set the new small pipe plug so that it blocks off half of the small #4 gallery? This would imitate the long plug by reducing oil flow.

It's an interesting subject, oil flow...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
toomanytoys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim240 wrote:
I'm doing this now on a 40 hp case.
Quote:

The one small plug that is long in the front of the motor should be replaced. It also acts as a flow regulator to the #4 bearing.

Are you saying that this plug should be replaced with an original style plug or that they missed a plug in that write up that needs to be pulled. If you are talking about the small plug that is longer then the rest that steps down a little I still have it and can press it back when I'm done cleaning. This info is vital. Please let us know.
Thanks

What if you have already removed this plug and tapped it for a screw in plug?
I did this just this past Friday using the "Huelsmann technique". Shocked Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably deep set the plug. Im sure it would need to be more than half cover the oil hole. I really couldnt tell you how much.
If the hole is open all the way you possibly wont notice any problem at first. But as the bearing wears you will get much more oil thru it and it pours onto the slinger and gets thrown out the oil fill and pulley. Gets messy. So you need to find someway to block it. Let us know what you come up with.
toomanytoys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be using a sand seal, so maybe it won't be too bad.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smart way to do this is to actually tap the oil galley at the bearing for an NPT plug (making sure it is below the level of the bearing), and then drilled this plug to the size you need for the required restriction. This avoids the actual depth of the plug setting the restriction, which is obviously a problem if you get the depth wrong.

You can calculate the size of the hole you need to drill quickly with a little math and measuring.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erikaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also drilling and plugging my case at the moment according to the articles mentioned above - and the advise from Jimmy111 here.

I have not taken out the small plug to the #4 gallery yet. I tried to look down the gallery, to check how deep the plug is sunk. It actually looks as if it is blocking the complete hole(!), but is hard to see.
I know the #4 bearing are supplyed with oil through this passage, but what do you think? Tried to take a picture:

closeup:
gcorrado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the smart way to do this is to actually tap the oil galley at the bearing for an NPT plug (making sure it is below the level of the bearing), and then drilled this plug to the size you need for the required restriction.
You can calculate the size of the hole you need to drill quickly with a little math and measuring.

sounds like a good idea to me. i no longer have the restrictor plug to do the math though. anyone have one. we need the OD of the thin part of the stock plug and the ID of the of the galley it sits in....
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it would be better to use a drilled aluminum plug that is pressed in to the hole rather than trying to tap a fitting in there. The journal is not that wide... could cause problems. I have the data somewhere I will look for it tonight.
erikaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcorrado wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
the smart way to do this is to actually tap the oil galley at the bearing for an NPT plug (making sure it is below the level of the bearing), and then drilled this plug to the size you need for the required restriction.

sounds like a good idea to me. i no longer have the restrictor plug to do the math though. anyone have one. we need the OD of the thin part of the stock plug and the ID of the of the galley it sits in....

I just measured the #4 oil galley - 6,05mm wide. I did not pull the plug though, but the other small ones in the case are actually wider in diameter then the galley! (Plugs are 6,3mm at the widest)

bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be pulling that plug out of my new case soon... i'll measure it

GEX has. Just sayin
tim240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It actually looks as if it is blocking the complete hole

I was at rimco picking up a case and asked them about said plug. They showed me a block cut in half to expose the oil galleries. That plug does cover the hole but only where the plug steps down. That area between the oil gallery and the thinner part of the plug is what makes the restriction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: