Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blue Slicone hose vs vw rubber hose ??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Blue Slicone hose vs vw rubber hose ?? Reply with quote

So as each part the coolant system rubber becomes NLA I usually want to source the part in a silicone host material ....
The latest issue was here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276651&highlight=

so I can still get N 901287.03 but it was gonna be a few days either vw dealer it or an on-line src
so I got some heavy duty 1" silicone hose
not cheap about $8 for 6" but prolly the same price for 6" of vw N 901287.03 rubber

Now I happen to go to a local vw repair shop to buy smooth face clamps since i did not have any

well the vw mech start telling me how silicone hose tends to suffer from heat way more than vw rubber and how he has seen it some cases only last a few years compared to vw rubber that goes 10+yrs so I start doubting how great the blue heavy duty silicone is ...

is this right what is your experience

ps I used it anyways we will see Smile
I did the coolant line to the auto tranny cooler in the 5/8" silicone as well
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234738&highlight=silicone

Last edited by tclark on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the mechanic is entirely correct. Quality silicone hose is more heat resistant that standard rubber hose. Silicone hose is used for flame-retardant covering for electrical and fuel lines. Silicone is also much more resistand to degridation due to ozone and UV rays.

The pressure limit on most silicone hose is about 350º but some companies offer high heat hose that is good for about 460º.

If you plan on using silicone hose for fuel or oil, make sure that the hose is lined to protect it from those liquids. Samco lines theirs with fluorosilicone. I'm not sure about others.

Pressure limits of silicone hose depend on the size of the hose as well as the actual construction (number of layers, type of reinforcing material, etc.). Check with the manufacturer.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
I don't think that the mechanic is entirely correct.

If you plan on using silicone hose for fuel or oil, make sure that the hose is lined to protect it from those liquids. Samco lines theirs with fluorosilicone. I'm not sure about others.

hmm yah i thought it was just an olde school bigot
That samco is interesting do you think that would last longer than the std online vendor 7mm rubber fuel line hose ???
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=N0202811

but its too bad they don't make 7mm silicone fuel hose I guess you could use 6.5mm be a tight fit Sad
http://www.samcosport.com/straight_fshl.asp
and $$$$ 15/1' in 3' increments so what a kit 15' so that be $225 but never change it again

Last edited by tclark on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tclark"]
loogy wrote:

but its too bad they don't make 7mm silicone fuel hose I guess you could use 6.5mm be a tight fit Sad

I am guessing you could use the 6.5mm as it is the inside diameter which is important. I am guessing that the silicone wall thickness is thinner than reinforced rubber. May be wrong though, just a thought.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most applications I have seen it used in is for Air Intake into an engine. Im not sure that It would not work if it were strong enough silicone. But I believe that when terry kay does the SS cooling lines that the ones that are split in the center are joined with some sort of spendy silicone hose.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:

The pressure limit on most silicone hose is about 350º

yah I just checked with supplier
G382-063, 5/8 heater line i use for the auto trany
G384-100, 1" line i used for N 901287.03

both are rated at 347ºF, with nominal pressure rating of 65psi with burst pressure rate of 3x so 195psi
so for cooling system this way more than any vw rubber these olde school mech are like brain dead donkeys they knew what they knew 20yrs ago & to them nothing ever changes well i guess if all you do is work on 20yr old vehicles then that is part of the territory Smile
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cop cars, at least the local Highway Patrol Crown Victorias use blue silicone hoses for their coolant lines. It is popular with the Impala SS guys to retrofit the Caprice cop car blue silicone radiator hoses.

There must be a reason that this stuff would be specified for harsh duty applications.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high pressure high temp silicone hose I use for the splice in the split coolant lines is two ply reinforced, and is good to 380 degree's, and is also used for turbo hose from the inner cooler to the intake where bosst pressure can exceed 175 psi.
This stuff is $29.99 per ft.

I'm not sure what kind of hose this guy was thinking about that loaded you up with this bogus info--but you'd have a hard time beating the long term durability of the Parker silicone hose I've been using.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK
any experience with silicone Fuel line hose ?
I am thinking that replace once with that & your done with your fuel hose issue for ever
no 5 year main. replacement once & your done..
J75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a Mack/Volvo truck dealership. All of our mechanics would use blue silicone hose on everything if they could, they claim its a superior hose than regular heater hoses, and I've never heard of any complaints about it. We use it from 3/4" right up to 4.5". (We don't use it for fuel though.)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you could do no better for Intake / Coolant Lines using the silicone hose, it would be a big Boo-Boo using the stuff for any kinda fuel line.

For some wild reason it doesn't like gas or diesel juice, and will turn into wad of jello--

It'll take big temps, It'll take big pressure's, but it won't take gas.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
it would be a big Boo-Boo using the stuff for any kinda fuel line.

For some wild reason it doesn't like gas or diesel juice, and will turn into wad of jello--

TK are you showing your years like my olde school mech
see above
Fuel Resistant Flourolined Polyster Silicone for fuel/oil
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative on showing my years---

I also inquired at my local Parker Hose & fitting dealer--
Parker is a pretty world wide, well known and respected hose & fitting supplier.
If they ain't got it , I don't need it---

Where this XYZ outfit with the polyexpelent notoxitant blobadobious glycoline extract hose came from I don't know.

If the stuff works--go for it.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Negative on showing my years---

err not so sure here Confused
Terry Kay wrote:

If they ain't got it , I don't need it---

ignorance is bliss Smile
Terry Kay wrote:

Where this XYZ outfit with the polyexpelent notoxitant blobadobious glycoline extract hose came from I don't know.

looks like this tech fluorine-contained Polyester is pretty std for creating layer that is fuel resistant
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5937911-description.html
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: replacement hoses 83 vw vanagon diesel Reply with quote

While putting on the finishing touches to my shift linkage, I noticed that the hoses could be replaced (the rubber hoses to and from the radiator to the steel pipes original equipment - probably replaced since the Vanagon is 30 years old.) I really don't like soft spongy rubber hoses.
1. any recommendations as to type of hoses to use -rubber or silicone.
2. vendor to provide me the hoses - email would be fine.
3. what about the hose clamps? Pro and Con. Confused
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two years ago i replaced allt eh engine bay hoses on my 1986 van, all of them were original hoses except for one little one that leaked many years ago and was replaced by my Dad. (leak on oil cooler water hose).

Silicone may indeed last longer than regular hoses. but I got over 20 years on my regular stock hoses. I likely wont be worried about them needing to last a second 20 years. so i opted for regular rubber replacements, saving money for other things. However i did use the beefy Gates green stripe for the heater hoses, cuase the ortignal heter hoses although not failing, did appeart to be a bit soft to me, the green strip was not too expensive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: