Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good Riddance to Power Windows
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Good Riddance to Power Windows Reply with quote

I have a 91 Multi with busted power window that I no longer want to messing with. The window have quit working repeatedly over the years for 4-5 different reasons and I am tired of fixing them. Presently there is one broken electrical wire to the the passenger door window and the guide for the driver's window is messed up. It time to make a change. I would like to remove the power window stuff from my van and swap in the manual stuff from another. Are there any interchange problems with parts from other Vanagons? Do I need to be looking at only certain model years for parts?
vanagonswede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I´m new to this side Very Happy . This side is really good.
I´m from sweden so I´m apologising for my spelling and other stuff Smile .

If you got any question about parts that will fit over different years I got a side I use.
www.vagcat.com.
Here you could find all the parts that will fit in the door, with partsnumber.
Another good side I use is a forum
www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/
from UK.

I could buy or exchange your power window. If you want I could send you a complete set of manual winders. I got a pair of extra doors from a 87. I checked that and they should be the same as the one on your car, if I´m not making any misstakes.
Over here in sweden almost all T3 busses are gone. And I don´t think they even were sold with power windows here.
Please contact me if you got any question.
Håkan
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba, Hakan!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you in va? i have a 91 parts van . i would swap with you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceebers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other side of the street, I picked up some power regulators w/ motors, switches,etc.. to retrofit my 87 that has manual windows. It seems that a lot of people really don't like the power windows. Every van I have had from my bays up to my vanagons all had winders, so I just wanted to go the 'luxury' route.

Are the power windows really this big a problem for most folks?
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why i looked high and low for a carat. i found a 91 last summer with every option and oh how nice. it needs the tencentlife motor and the auto trans tweeked a bit. the bordeaux red pearl metallic respray will cost a fortune. i hope to have it gleaming and running by next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, this post is music to my ears. My 88 daily driver has the power package. Knock on wood, everything works. For my 87 project, I got a set of mint doors from a manual 87 so I will be doing the backwards conversion as well! Can't wait. I'm dreading the day I have to troubleshoot the power components in my 88.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavanagon wrote:
...daily driver has the power package. Knock on wood, everything works... I'm dreading the day I have to troubleshoot the power (windows)...

What he said.

Mine work so SLOW when the van is first fired up; what the deal with that? Are they vacuum assist and the accumulator has built up enough vaccum yet? Seems really odd though since I had originally assumed they were full electric. Just doesn't make a lot of sense that they are slower when the van is just fired up.

But heck, the things are pretty slow regardless; also have a tooth missing in my window (always "KLUNKS" at one point)... however they are working for now. Knock on glass.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the slowness when cold is attributed to gunk built up in the switch and any springs that may be in there. Once, they are heated up slightly, the gunk releases a bit and they work better. I have the exact same scenario. I have heard of folks over on the vanagon.com mail list that have removed, disassembled, and cleaned the switches with great results. fwiw...
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the slowness is related to the motors and associated wiring.
My 87 power package, in which I have redone Lock actuators and fixed the Passengers window wiring problem. PO also had problems and had replaced a window motor. I love the upgrades, maintenance aside.
My previous Westy was an 83 waterboxer with no air, no power steering, no power anything, except brakes.
These features sold me on the newer Van, even though they were not all working at purchase.
Slow windows, especially in cold weather are normal as far s I am concerned!
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My passeger side power window is broken as well. I've looked around for a replacement motor- anyone know where I can get one?

thanks,
rg
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the power windows in my Suburban.had to change a motor in it once,major pain.on the kids Jetta one window is doa and another is on it's way. just more stuff to go wrong. my 85 GL has no power anything and I love it that way.
Ceebers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying about the simplicity. My 74 hightop was great, manual windows, no a/c, or heat for that matter, manual steering, dual 36 dell's.. very little to ever have to worry about... -well, less to worry about anyway..

I was younger then, and disconnected the flaps from the heater boxes because there was a bad ass oil smell in the heat exchangers. In college, I would freeze my ass off in the mountains, and the 5 hour drive to school required a lot of blankets, and I couple pit stops to thaw out.. It never really crossed my mind at the time to maybe clean the heat exchangers out... lol

I don't know what it is, but ever since I got my first vanagon, I really wanted to have power windows. - Now I have no problem cranking a window, that's not it. I guess it's just the novelty of it. Kind of akin to how the Bluestar is a 'luxury' model;-)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you want to upgrade to this method:

Link

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at that clip carefully you can see him moving as he rolls it up and down.
Ceebers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps you want to upgrade to this method:

.. you mean suspenders?
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I can use the search functions. Laughing

For the last few months, I have been driving my 87' daily... and when rolling up the passenger's side power window I've noticed that there appears to be a single "tick" at about 3/4's of the way up. This has been inconsistant and has been happening for about four months now.

Flash forward to today..

..well this morning, while on a routine Wal-Mart run, the window hit the 3/4 mark and there was the "tick" again.... and then a "POP" and the window fell down into the door. Confused Confused Evil or Very Mad

I just went to check to see if the motor works; and it does.

Before I go tearing into the door, would anyone care to offer a diagnosis? Better yet, a remedy?

Did I break a cord of some kind... if so can they be replaced? Has anyone had this happen before?

Any experiences will be appreciated...

Thanks

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busryder wrote:
See, I can use the search functions. Laughing

For the last few months, I have been driving my 87' daily... and when rolling up the passenger's side power window I've noticed that there appears to be a single "tick" at about 3/4's of the way up. This has been inconsistant and has been happening for about four months now.

Flash forward to today..

..well this morning, while on a routine Wal-Mart run, the window hit the 3/4 mark and there was the "tick" again.... and then a "POP" and the window fell down into the door. Confused Confused Evil or Very Mad

I just went to check to see if the motor works; and it does.

Before I go tearing into the door, would anyone care to offer a diagnosis? Better yet, a remedy?

Did I break a cord of some kind... if so can they be replaced? Has anyone had this happen before?

Any experiences will be appreciated...

Thanks

The thing that usually breaks on these is a plastic guide at the bottom of the regulator assembly. Not sure if this is your problem or not. You have to remove the regulator to see it.
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

I plan to tear into it this afternoon at best, in the morning at worst...

Are there any other common possible causes?

I just know that damn cat next door is piss in by bus tonight if I do nothing. Evil or Very Mad

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
danagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take pictures (I sure wish I had) when I took my drivers side window apart about a couple of years ago, but will I try to describe what I ended up doing...

The window sits in a rectangular piece that is bolted to a cross piece that is attached to a track that runs vertically inside the door.

Working through the various holes you will need to unbolt the window's metal support from the piece that is attached to the vertical track.

After I disconnected the window support from the track I used a rubber ratcheting clamp on the door in order to support the window in the up position.

Unbolt the track (2 bolts - 1 top and 1 bottom) and then unbolt the motor assembly. Unplug the wiring from the motor assembly.

Now you should be able to work the whole assembly out from the inside of the door.

Once you get it out, you will see that the motor turns a "spool" inside the top of the motor assembly that moves a cable that moves the horizontal piece (that was attached to the bottom) of the window.

In my case a rivet gave way at the bottom of the vertical track allowing plastic guide to come loose and the cable to go slack and get fowled inside the spool at the top of the motor assembly.

I riveted the piece back on. Then I had to take this top section off of the motor and carefully opened it up. I had to get the cable wrapped back on the spool... it was VERY tight and it took me a while to get it right.

I used some white lithium grease on the cable and then put everything back in reverse. It has been working great ever since.

I hope this helps.

'86 Wolfsburg Weekender
'90 Vanagon GL - automatic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: