Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

Hello,
Firstly, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE THAT REPLIES TO THIS THREAD.

I just purchased this complete speedo pod assembly. I don't have it yet, only the pictures for reference. I have done some homework and read through numerous threads on the restoration of these pods and their components. I am fairly handy at restoring parts, but this would be my first pod.
My main concern is the peeling, flaking paint on the speedo face. Everything else seems to be quite serviceable and the seller stated the speedometer, lock, and individual parts are functional although a bit neglected. Of, course that will all be determined once I get it in hand.

These are my concerns:
How to restore the face of the gauge?
If I can't do it myself, does someone know where to get a replacement OEM, reproduction, or restored gauge face?
If I can't do it myself or buy a good gauge face, does anyone have knowledge of a reliable restorer and the cost to restore the gauge face; not the entire speedo, just the face?

Thanks again for your contribution to this thread, Dan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve in NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

John Henry

[email protected]

Steve in NJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

For the speedometer Ryan is a pretty good option but you will need to be VERY patient. [email protected] is his email

His feedback: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274383
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

Thank you both for the references. I did run across both those vendors when I was researching possible options.

Has anyone tried the Kaefer-Nostalgie water transfer decal? I would like to do as much of the work as possible myself due to $$$ constraints. So, that's why I was initially asking about diy type products for the face of the gauge. I have no doubt of the quality of work produced by these two vendors, the pictures of their services speak volumes and I will keep them in mind.

But what about something like this? Is it any good? Are there any other options for the hands on guy?

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

I would be tempted to leave the gauge just as it is, even on a restored car. There is something wonderful about having a few original parts to show the provenance and lineage. Kinda like a fine woman that is aging gracefully. She might have a few wrinkles and blemishes here and there, but she's still hot. Beyond that, it's an easy fix later on if you can't live with it, and a repro decal will look like... well, a repro decal, not an original.
tweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

Hello Jack,
I see your point on authenticity. I too feel that things that look too new are a bit garish on a vintage vehicle. I prefer the look of things that show a refined vintage look. But, in this case the face needs restoration. It's a speedometer. It is necessary to be able to read the gauge while driving. The paint on the face is just falling off. By the time it is shipped to me, who knows how much of it will be left.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

The face is always the hardest part. I have not seen decals made for that style of speedo (the later split speedo with the flat top circle in the center), and of the decals that I have seen/used, they seldom adhere well to the dished metal face. I would either used the face as-is, or keep an eye out for a new speedo. Speedos come up from time to time with good clean faces. Everything else is easily restoreable.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Pod/Gauge Restoration Ideas Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
The face is always the hardest part. I have not seen decals made for that style of speedo (the later split speedo with the flat top circle in the center), and of the decals that I have seen/used, they seldom adhere well to the dished metal face. I would either used the face as-is, or keep an eye out for a new speedo. Speedos come up from time to time with good clean faces. Everything else is easily restoreable.

Hello John,
Thank you for your input. I've seen some of your work throughout Samba. Your restoration work with the speedo pods is great! Other than acquiring another speedometer, have you ever restored the face of this style gauge in similar condition to this one? I've looked at your technique of infilling the paint where there are chips or fading. Have you been able to bring them back in this condition?

One more thing.
Can anyone tell me what the value of this pod would be as is? It is supposed to be in working order, just unsightly.

And, what it might be worth fully restored and more presentable?

I understand restoration work is more the pursuit of a passion than an investment. But if I find a better one I may let go of this one in the future. This one is in KM/H, European edition.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: