Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: 1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options Reply with quote

I just brought home this 1968 trailer with camping goodies. Thanks Greg. I plan to set-up my '71 bus to tow it. Would I be better off building a custom hitch or are the old VW hitch assemblies a good option? The trailer literature says the unladen wt. is 590 Lbs, but it feels like less. The tongue wt. is probably about 30 lbs. The trailer has a 4 pin connector and no brakes with a 2" receiver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: hitch Reply with quote

i picked up a hitch for my 71 from jeremy who advertises on here. he is in virginia i think Confused only thing is you need to use a stock muffler with his set up. it works good towing my 55 heilite that i converted to a 2 wheel from a single wheel Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWANTIWANTIWANTIWANT

Laughing

NICE

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: hitch Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
i picked up a hitch for my 71 from jeremy who advertises on here. he is in virginia i think Confused only thing is you need to use a stock muffler with his set up. it works good towing my 55 heilite that i converted to a 2 wheel from a single wheel Shocked

Hey tubdub, thanks for the legs....got them today. The bad leg on the trailer is the right rear. The pad on the foot is missing and the whole assembly is bent. I hope to change it out this weekend. You rock and thanks again.

Here is a shot of the trailer in lunar lander mode, the bent leg closest.

Last edited by Anchovy on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: hitch Reply with quote

tubdub wrote:
i picked up a hitch for my 71 from jeremy who advertises on here. he is in virginia i think

Do you have his user name?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Thanks, I ordered one up from Jeremy.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - I received my hitch from Jeremy. It looks great and came with all the hardware. It is solild and should provide a lot more protection than the OG bumper and brackets. I hope to get it mounted this weekend. Thanks Jeremy.

I have been working on the trailer and have it ready for camping. With a little luck I should have my bus and the trailer on the road for the Classic.

I have been doing a lot of research on the Heilite trailers and with Aaron's (www.singlewheel.com) help I have started to put together a site as a resource for Heilite trailers and other camping gear. If any of you guys have literature or photos you would like to contribute, send them over to me and I will include them in the site. Thanks,

www.heilitetrailers.com

email: [email protected]
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sweet trailer, man. Have fun with it!
aircooledguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're diggin' it! It still looks good! I will be watching your website - that looks good too!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: 1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
tubdub wrote:

Hey tubdub, thanks for the legs....got them today. The bad leg on the trailer is the right rear. The pad on the foot is missing and the whole assembly is bent. I hope to change it out this weekend. You rock and thanks again.

Here is a shot of the trailer in lunar lander mode, the bent leg closest.

Yet another American trailer, lacking proper orange direction-indicator lamps and triangular red reflectors! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat May 10, 2008 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: hitch Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Yet another American trailer, lacking proper orange direction-indicator lamps and triangular red reflectors! Shocked

Calm down Nigel.

Rolling Eyes
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: hitch Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Yep, out here in the colonies we like to live on the edge, all that safety stuff just takes the edge of your seat thrills out of driving Wink .

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: 1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Calm down Nigel.

Rolling Eyes

busdaddy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Yep, out here in the colonies we like to live on the edge, all that safety stuff just takes the edge of your seat thrills out of driving Wink .

Yes, but just think of the extra carnage that creates! Rolling Eyes I suppose it's one way of controlling the increase in population, which I heard has now passed 300 million in the USA, with an increasing proportion of non-American-English as their first language.

Anyway, on a lighter note, here is a self-build, four-berth trailer tent, which was featured in the 1979/80 edition, of the Indespension Trailers & Equipment, Trailer Manual cum DIY Plans & Parts Catalogue.

Note the 50 mph, maximum speed-limit roundal; a limit which has since been increased to 60 mph, for dual carriageways and motorways.

Nowadays, rear fog lamps are are also obligatory, on trailers manufactured since October 1979.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Sat May 10, 2008 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hint *winks someone here grab this
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/670682416.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: 1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
hint *winks someone here grab this
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/670682416.html

To be classified as an "antique", the Sears trailer referred to in the above link, would need to be at least 100 years old, so 1960s manufacture, doesn't qualify! Shocked It would just about qualify for status as a "late-classic", preceded by vintage and veteran. Rolling Eyes

Nigel A. Skeet

EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Heilite tent trailer - hitch options Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

To be classified as an "antique", the Sears trailer referred to in the above link, would need to be at least 100 years old

Not in most of the United States. Each state has a different classification of an 'antique'.
My Photography Page.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: