Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a grab handle to the interior sliding door?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Adding a grab handle to the interior sliding door? Reply with quote

So I picked up a grab handle that was on the body of a parts van...mounted vertically just forward of the sliding door.

I'd like to install it on the slider itself...kind of just a little back from where it was originally.

Anybody done this?
Pics?

Seems like a pretty straight-forward upgrade/addition.
Any reason not to do it?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Wrenching the Door? Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd want to put too much weight on something that slides in a track and moves. If you want other handle on the sliding door, take a look at this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure you can rig the later sliders for this, but I use the 2nd handle to finish closing that hatch all the time.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this done, and have almost done it myself. There's a picture and quick mention about mounting one here: http://www.mts.net/~rrh/WestyMods.html Here's the picture.

Anyhow, I've seen little base pieces that fit perfectly on the rounded curve of the front window frame. I may even have a pair I picked up along the way. At any rate, they're out there, and should make closing the slider from inside much easier.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys...
I just finished up the job a little while ago.

The hardest part was getting the measuring correct for the holes.

and the handle I had was from just ahead of the door as I mentioned, so it was one of the ones with the rounded mounting bases. This made it a little more difficult to install since I had to drill the holes on a curve.
Confused

So installing one of the flat ones on the flat metal would make this a snap.

Anyway, I like it! Mostly just to slide the door closed (maybe it will help the interior handle last longer?)

I need a couple of the little screw-cover bits for the handle if anyone has some (in brown).

I'll snap some pics later and post 'em here.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos wrote:

I'll snap some pics later and post 'em here.

Do you think that you can post some pics of your install?

I am planning on doing this very thing and like you I will be using a front collumn grab handle with the rounded wedges.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mounted on the curve, but gives you a good idea of how it might turn out. I opted against using the curved wedges since the curve on the back of the b-pillar (where the curved bases originally mounted) is larger than the curve alongside the slider window. Just didn't seem like it was going to match up the way I wanted it to. Also found the flat mounting pieces to be too wide for the upper mounting point beside the window, so I went without. On the flat works out great, and I find using the grab handle makes opening and closing the slider a simpler task. YMMV.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic. I have been meaning to stick a handle there for the kids and it looks exactly like I pictured it in my head. Gotta do it now. Smile
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info, thanks a bunch, I had a handle already here to do this, just never had the time to think about how to mount it. It does make a lot of sense to have a grab handle inside the sliding door, closing that door is not easy if you are a passenger unfamiliar with these vans.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of mine. Sorry for the iphone quality pics.

I did mount mine on the curve with the wedge base pieces...I think just a little higher than the one in 1621's photo. Mine came from the vertical section just forward of the slider (from an '87 passenger van), so the bases had the right shape to fit on the door. Not sure if bases from the front pillars would have the right curve or not.

Great upgrade, we use it every time we're in the van!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Not mounted on the curve, but gives you a good idea of how it might turn out. I opted against using the curved wedges since the curve on the back of the b-pillar (where the curved bases originally mounted) is larger than the curve alongside the slider window. Just didn't seem like it was going to match up the way I wanted it to. Also found the flat mounting pieces to be too wide for the upper mounting point beside the window, so I went without. On the flat works out great, and I find using the grab handle makes opening and closing the slider a simpler task. YMMV.

What do you have the handle screwed into to keep it from coming off the door? Did you you a nylon screw grommet or spreader nut?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
1621 wrote:

What do you have the handle screwed into to keep it from coming off the door? Did you you a nylon screw grommet or spreader nut?

No spreader nuts or grommets necessary. Drilled a pilot hole and used the stock screws to hold it in place. Plenty strong enough, even with yanking the door open and closed all the time.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intersting. That would make life much easier for closing the door from the inside. I'd like to have one on the drivers front side to help me climb up. I slide down so its only for up.

Could I ask where you find the handles, various places please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the door still open fully if the handle is mounted horizontally just below the window towards the front? I think that would be an easy place to mount and grab too.

You can find the handles and parts in the classified section.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handles are pretty easy to procure at junkyards, in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Will the door still open fully if the handle is mounted horizontally just below the window towards the front? I think that would be an easy place to mount and grab too.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I recall looking at this option and it would have hit the c-pillar. It really would be an ideal place though.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Don't quote me on this, but I think I recall looking at this option and it would have hit the c-pillar. It really would be an ideal place though.

hum, not sure that would be ergonomic, I think it is easier to pull and push on a vertical grab handle to open and close the sliding door.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there would be less drag and less effort to pull a vertical handle. Lifting something up would be better with a horizontal handle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
1621 wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

hum, not sure that would be ergonomic, I think it is easier to pull and push on a vertical grab handle to open and close the sliding door.

Don't knock it til you've tried it! Wink

It actually feels easier because there is no bending pressure on your wrist.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
madspaniard wrote:
1621 wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

Don't knock it til you've tried it! Wink

It actually feels easier because there is no bending pressure on your wrist.

true I haven't tried it, do I have to come up there to try and while I'm there get a couple of beers with the PDX crowd? I wouldn't mind Dancing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: