Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'57 Oval Fuel Reserve Switch and Stalling help needed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw54john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a similar intermittent stalling problem that drove me INSANE for 2 yrs. I had used a thin cotter pin to secure the reserve lever to the valve instead of the proper diameter pin. When the lever was in the 12 o'clock position or "1" as the picture indicates, because of all the slop and play in the lever to valve attachment caused by the thin cotter pin, it was ACTUALLY closer to position # 3 (OFF) to cause the car to starve for gas. Once I replaced the cotter pin with the correct diameter pin, the problem went away and has not reoccurred in 5 years. Just one more thing to check....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, but I am getting plenty of fuel. Hopefully a new carb will do the trick. After that, I am lost.
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick novice question.....

Would a bad coil cause a carb to flood? If not, than it's gotta be the carb.

Cheers!
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the coil won't cause the carb to flood the engine.

As mentioned a bit above, a bad coil, or a weakening coil can and will cause a hard start after the engine has been running awhile. This is why I suggested checking its spark as well just to be certain which takes just a few seconds.

A bad condenser would cause additional problems and since your car seems to be running just fine when its still you can more or less rule that out. But I still suggest replacing it since its a very inexpensive part to begin with, and given you seemed to have just got the car, unless you have a documented tuneup history I'd just swap it out to help avoid possible future roadside mechanical work. The same goes for the points but inspect them first maybe they are already in decent shape.

Ninamashr is on the right track fuel system wise I believe, and given the problem has yet to be fixed I think you are looking at the rarer quirky causes. There is no other logical explanation for what is going with your carb unless the new float valve was not installed correctly, or perhaps the bowl is warped but given everything is moving/fitting fine inside if put together right, I doubt even more its the cause.

The next question is, you said it idles fine, but have you opened up the throttle while its just been sitting there, spin the rpms up, put a spacer behind the throttle on the carb and let it run those 1-2 minutes, still cut out? Its possible also that the issue is not flooding but rather fuel starvation. The fuel pump may have been rebuilt and may seem to be working fine, but it might not be either, so definitely check your fuel petcock valve as vw54john mentioned above, its up there in the weird causes file.

Again check your gas tank for floating debris that could be obstructing fuel flow also. At this point it seems to be a quirky issue causing the problem so look there closely if the most common causes aren't cutting it. Its great to swap a carb and see if it does the trick but its also good to find out what is really causing the problem.

Keep at it and don't let yourself get too upset, keep in mind these cars are going on 50 years old, and even rebuilt parts and components cause problems all the time.

Gary
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's an update.

I am in the process of getting a new carb. This morning I went down to start my ole girl. She started great idled for about 1-2 minutes and then all of a sudden she started getting weak. Hopped out to look at what the carb was doing. The car kicked it and then....

The carb began leaking fuel above the bowl out of the two rear screws that hold the top and bottom halfs together. Then fuel then begin to leak out of the bottom two arms (the one that is connected to the gas pedal and the one on the opposite side.).

I guess until I put a new carb on, I will know more....but does this sound familiar to any of you? Keep in mind I just let her idle, no driving.
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lt sounds like what John said earlier, the float valve is not closing properly causing the fuel pump to pressurize the bowl which makes the fuel leak out any small crevice on the carb. Your carb also appears to have a worn throttle shaft. The new carb should take care of these 2 problems.
beetleluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichelob wrote:
So, here's an update.

I am in the process of getting a new carb. This morning I went down to start my ole girl. She started great idled for about 1-2 minutes and then all of a sudden she started getting weak. Hopped out to look at what the carb was doing. The car kicked it and then....

The carb began leaking fuel above the bowl out of the two rear screws that hold the top and bottom halfs together. Then fuel then begin to leak out of the bottom two arms (the one that is connected to the gas pedal and the one on the opposite side.).

I guess until I put a new carb on, I will know more....but does this sound familiar to any of you? Keep in mind I just let her idle, no driving.

I really have to believe it is either the float valve or the float. My 56 did the EXACT same thing. I had the carb rebuilt (throttle shaft leaked also)and about 300 miles later it started doing the same thing it had prior to the rebuild (starting & then dying). It turned out that the float needed replacing. Again...float or float needle valve.

Good luck!

dLk: der Luftkühlers

1956 Polar Silver Oval
1966 Bahama Blue Type 1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps fuel is leaking past the valve? Have you got a sealing washer between the float valve and the body?
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the standard gasket that comes in the rebuild kit.

Does anyone have any recommmendations on whom to buy a 28 PCI carb from? Looking fro someone reputable.

Cheers!
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichelob wrote:
It is the standard gasket that comes in the rebuild kit.

Does anyone have any recommmendations on whom to buy a 28 PCI carb from? Looking fro someone reputable.

Cheers!

Drop Jim Bremer a line at [email protected]. He rebuilds them and has done a couple 26s for me. Real nice work...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Fall at www.vintagewerks.com is really the only source I would ever buy a rebuilt carb, disty, or fuel pump from today. Speak to him for just a few minutes and you'll understand why. Ed's work is in really high demand but he should have a 28pci carb in stock. Good luck.
Gary
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary is right, Ed is really the most technical guy I've met in the hobby. He has all of the tools and reference books to accurately rebuild and test your distributors and carbs. When you give him a dirty old carb or distributor, and you get back a jewel that is as functional as the day it was installed, you'll understand why Ed is the man.

Contact him as Gary said, and you'll understand why he is the man when it comes to distributors and carbs. Very Happy

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
edfall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for jumping into this discussion, but Gary sent me the thread so I'll offer my 2 cents worth. In general I agree with what's been said about the potential source of the problem, namely it may be either a stuck or deffective needle valve or a float problem (hole in the float so it no longer 'floats'). However, I would add that I've had several cases where the fuel pump is the problem. The 36hp pump must be set up with proper pre-tension on the diaphrapm and proper stroke on the push rod otherwise too much or too little fuel pressure results. In cases of too much pressure, it sometimes creates flooding problems such as you describe and other times does not. I would check that as well. You can buy a cheap pressure gage from an auto parts store to do the job. If you have an old carburetor to pump fuel line you can cut the ends to put into the respective components and then use rubber fuel line and a 'tee' to attach the gage in the middle. Then fire the car up and read the pressure--it should be between 1.3 and 1.8 psi. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ed Fall
Vintage Werks LLC
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if there was any progress on this problem? Too bad a thread like this isn't made a sticky to help minimize how many times this subject has been gone over and over in the forums. Thanks though for any news and perhaps any insight gained on the problem.
Gary
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....all of you are right - Ed is the man.

He sent me a rebuilt carb and it looks great! Problem with leaking, however, continues to run out of every orifice in my carb - old and NOS carb. So, it is not a carb issue.

Ed did explain that when you rebuild a fuel pump that they do not tell you that the diaphragm is supposed to be set at a certain resistance. I certainly did not know that. So, that being said, we troublehot over the phot and came to the conclusion that my fuel pump is over pumping fuel and causing my carb to flood, making gas leak out of every orifice it can find.

I have since sent my fuel pump to Ed and he is having a look at it. So if all goes right, I should have this puppy on the road by next.

All of this troubleshooting is creating a bonding (hate and mostly love) experience for me and my Bug.

BTW, (on the above topic of love/hate relationships) I picked up a book called, "My Bug". I had to laugh when I read a few of the entries - and all in all, after some of the stories in there, I really cannot complain much about the trophy with an engine sitting in my garage.

I'll keep you all updated.

Cheers!
nichelob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Final Thread Reply with quote

Hey Folks....

So here's the latest.

I received the fuel pump back from Ed. I took off the Ampco 'Mystery Fuel', istalled the pump and adjusted the idle and the mixture jet.

Great news!!! She is back on the road - running strong and smooth. (knock on wood)

Thanks to all for your help and expertise!!!

Cheers!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the engine number/ jetting chart here somewhere?

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '57 Oval Fuel Reserve Switch and Stalling help needed Reply with quote

Ed Fall is/"was" the best! Don't mis-read the "was", he is alive and well, but he recently stopped providing the rebuilding service. Enjoy your "retirement" Ed!

This thread is old but great with all the knowledgeable and helpful comments, especially for any newbie to old engines in their VWs!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: