Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3.5mm dash switch terminal screws
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfpvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: 3.5mm dash switch terminal screws Reply with quote

i could have sworn i saw somebody reproducing these a year or two ago, and i can't seem to find them online or at 6 hardware stores locally...

anybody have any ideas on where to find some?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sell them at the Zarwerks, and used to make up assortment kits, but have gotten out of the "small parts" business. You can get them, and virtually every other terminal screw at mcmaster.com. You will probably have to buy a box of 100 (still probably less than 10 bucks).

I think I have the McMaster part numbers for all the screws used in the VWs, I can find it and post it here.

I think the one you are asking about is available in stainless at McMaster #91800A178

Metric Cheese Head Slotted Machine Screw 18-8 SS, M3.5 Size, 8 mm Length, .6 mm Pitch
In stock at $13.31 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 100

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

I think I have the McMaster part numbers for all the screws used in the VWs, I can find it and post it here.
[/i]

That would be a handy list to have.......please.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have. These are mostly Split Beetle specs, but some extensible to Ovals as well. McMaster numbers are there. I used zinc plated where it was available, but some were only avail in SS.

If anyone wants to add to the table, e-mail me your data to [email protected].

I did find the M4.5 screws somewhere, but forgot where. Try smallparts.com or Google small metric screws supply, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that- working on a gravel driveway can be a pain sometimes. Maybe its time to go borrow a friends big magnet on a stick he uses to clean up nails on construction sites.
jfpvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks john! i knew i saw them somewhere, and i was so sure your site was it when i looked for them a few days ago...
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMaster overall is pretty good for getting somewhat accurate versions of the original smaller electrical contact metric screws (cheesehead screw profiles and their wide slots aren't a dead on match for og hardware), but they offer a much broader range than Small Parts Inc.. We have alot of it here to help out with things like radio and pod resto work.

But thats about it for early style slotted original hardware, as neither supplier offers basically any of the early oval head slotted countersink finish hardware thats used in many other places, sort of the important stuff you can see, so we have most of this hardware custom made for us in stainless, like taillight screws, dome light screws, zar tag screws, ragtop finish hardware, door bumper and latch screws, assist strap screws, rear view mirror screws, striker plate hardware, etc, But its also a hassle to stock and manage, and its not our focus at this point since we're really busy with other stuff, but eventually we'll repost the stuff in the classifieds since its extremely hard to find. If someone is in a bind meantime feel free to PM me for more info.

Gary
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do you or anyone else know the thread size for the early sunroof "sex screws" (I heard someone calling them lately on here) its either .70 or .75 thread pitch, I need to run a tap thru mine to clean them up but those two are so close I cant tell without getting the tap halfway thru, I may be thinking of the top cover screws that go thur the canvas also, pretty much any or all early sunroof screw info would help, Thanks!
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
John, do you or anyone else know the thread size for the early sunroof "sex screws" (I heard someone calling them lately on here) its either .70 or .75 thread pitch, I need to run a tap thru mine to clean them up but those two are so close I cant tell without getting the tap halfway thru, I may be thinking of the top cover screws that go thur the canvas also, pretty much any or all early sunroof screw info would help, Thanks!

Which screws are you talking about, I know not of these "sex screws" (sounds interesting though). I can dig out mine from one of my splits and check it with the thread gauge and my old-man-my-eyes-are-bad-loupe...

They are M5s?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
billmetric wrote:

Which screws are you talking about, I know not of these "sex screws" (sounds interesting though). I can dig out mine from one of my splits and check it with the thread gauge and my old-man-my-eyes-are-bad-loupe...

They are M5s?

If it is the screw I am thinking about, it is M5 x 0.8mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone know the specifications for the front bullet indicator housing screws? Flathead, the 1st tiny bit of the shaft is threadless guide.

Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: