Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanco_Bug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not my beetle, it is my son's. We took the rear deck lid off and got the failing generator out, along with the pedestal mount. Now we have to track down a socket big enough to get the fan off so we can put the new alternator in.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

One of my headlights blew on low-beam so I have been driving around at night with my high beams on for about a month. Believe me that is not bothering any oncoming traffic. Finally got a very warm (for February in the Northeast) 58 degrees yesterday so decided to install the EMPI Halogen upgrade headlamps I was planning on doing in the Spring.
Dead simple with the exception of the fear of dealing with some rusty areas vs. taking the tiny screws and hardware off. I lucked out and upon reassembly knocked-off as much topical rust and used never-seize on all the hardware.
The wiring was crispy so in the Spring I will change-out to newer connectors on both headlights. And also change the halogens to LED lamps. I could have just bought the full LED headlights but they don't look right (at least to me) on this old girl. One modification to the EMPI kit was slicing off the back of the rubber gasket protector so the OEM connector would fit. A little dialectic grease and all good to go. Even with the lights out during the day these new len's pattern look pretty cool in a Eurpean headlight pattern kind of way.
Anyone have a recommendation for these standard halogen bulbs to an LED alternative?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by stagewex on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Also cleaned and polished all brightwork. Waxed all nearby paint and related bubbling rust areas. All came out very nice. And a much nicer clean look as opposed to the old sealed beam GE headlights.
These are not going to "blind" anybody but they are a big improvement from the old sealed beam type.

challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Pulled the heads from my 1600sp as with 85k miles I was wary of losing an exhaust valve. I'd always assumed this engine was never apart before but upon removing the heads I found someone signed off their work, the valves are all freshly lapped and the cylinders look like they were honed yesterday.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

stagewex wrote:

The wiring was crispy so in the Spring I will change-out to newer connectors on both headlights.

Yipes, so many crimp-on butt connectors. If mine, I would ditch those and solder new wires, using shrink-wrap tubing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced filler neck evap hoses, still had originals and the ends were very cracked.
Both plastic T’s in very good shape considering age.
Ran out of clamps…….

stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
stagewex wrote:

The wiring was crispy so in the Spring I will change-out to newer connectors on both headlights.

Yipes, so many crimp-on butt connectors. If mine, I would ditch those and solder new wires, using shrink-wrap tubing.

Absolutely, the other side was worse. Turned-out the burned-out OEM sealed headlight was NOT bad. Pushed the butt connectors around and suddenly that lamp started working. A warm weather project to cut, strip and solder under shrink-wrap.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fixed the hood release on my '73 Super. Also installed a mounting bracket for the fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. Won't be rolling around behind me anymore...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Fixed the hood release on my '73 Super. Also installed a mounting bracket for the fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. Won't be rolling around behind me anymore...

Careful. I have had Coca-Cola cans explode in the rear foot well before.

Engine heat, cooked those cans to the point of bursting. Much to the surprise of the rear seat occupants. Shocked

Aren't fire extinguishers pressurized too?

Nice fire extinguisher mount BTW.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well, my oil filler has been really loose, so I bought the tool, and tried to tighten it. Wouldn't budge. Kept slipping. So I tried to remove it so I could clean the threads. Wouldn't budge.

So I read on a few threads here that the nut tool is basically useless, and the suggestions were to use an internal pipe wrench. So I bought one. It grabbed the nut with no slippage, I will say that. But it was no match for the 50 years of dirt and grime in there.

And then the generator stand itself gave way Brick wall

What's the opposite of the Midas touch? Because that's what I have working on these things. d'oh!
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Whoa!
Certainly one of the examples of what they mean when they say "rabbit hole".
I have that same midas touch with anything plumbing in my old house.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OUCH !!!

Now you got me thinking “did I put never-seize on those threads?”

Definitely gonna check it now

What did I do to my big today?
Drove it
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finished installing the newly reupholstered front seats. (I had to enlist a pro.)
Lubed and adjusted locks, latches & window risers, and repaired a janky window scraper.
Then, we installed new door cards.
Satisfactory results. The rear seat can wait...

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

odecom5 wrote:

And then the generator stand itself gave way Brick wall

You jinxed yourself by having the generator strap installed correctly !!!!

odecom5 wrote:

What's the opposite of the Midas touch?

Everything you touch turns to mufflers instead of gold.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Attempted to remove steering box for rebuild.
Splines are seized at the lower u-joint, so I will have to release the shaft at the upper u-joint. I made little progress with this today, now the tank has to come out. (Photo taken before u-joint bolt removal Cool )

MountainBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

My rear apron underside has peeling paint which was exacerbated by the salted roads over winter, so I began stripping it today to treat and respray:

Slow work as it’s a tricky bit to get to.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Frankenbug got new 80w/90 gear oil today. (No idea when it was last changed.)
The old oil was a greenish turquoise color I have never seen before. Question
No sign of metal fragments though.

Everything on the undercarriage looks good.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put the back end of my 72 standard 1200 up on blocks to work out a few issues.
something is leaking on the driveway when parked up, I SUSPECT A FUEL LINE OVER THE AXLE NEEDS REPLACING ALSO THERE IS A SMALL DRIP FROM THE CENTRE OF THE GEARBOX ,MAYBE NEW GASKETS REQUIRED,oops caps lock was on, anyways last year I replaced both axle boots so they should be good. Sometimes I get a bit of grinding when changing gears but other days there is no problem so I dont know exactly what the issue is? Could it be a clutch issue,I believe the adjustment is good.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put the back end of my 72 standard 1200 up on blocks to work out a few issues.
something is leaking on the driveway when parked up, I SUSPECT A FUEL LINE OVER THE AXLE NEEDS REPLACING ALSO THERE IS A SMALL DRIP FROM THE CENTRE OF THE GEARBOX ,MAYBE NEW GASKETS REQUIRED,oops caps lock was on, anyways last year I replaced both axle boots so they should be good. Sometimes I get a bit of grinding when changing gears but other days there is no problem so I dont know exactly what the issue is? Could it be a clutch issue,I believe the adjustment is good.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 448 of 449

Jump to: