Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 944 Seats??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Porsche 944 Seats?? Reply with quote

Anyone had experiece with using these in a Vanagon? I did a search, but didn't find a direct answer. The slide-track style looks to be the same, and I had the seller measure outside-to-outside of the rails. He replied 17 inches. I measured my factory seats, hmmm.....17 inches.

Could these be a slide in fit? I haven't seen them in the flesh yet, can anyone give me a reason to NOT drive across town to look at a pair?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they leather?
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are leather, and the driver's seat is powered. Very Happy

I did a long round-trip (total of 820 miles) over the last two days, and the factory seats in my Westy just kill me. The short bottom cushion that provides no support for my legs is the issue.

Course I would be giving up the armrests. Crying or Very sad

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosing the arm rests is a deal breaker for me. I have a 944. they are comfy...and almost identical to 911 seats
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are made by Recaro then recaro sliders from Go Westy might work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
if they are made by Recaro then recaro sliders from Go Westy might work.

Don't think they are Recaro's, but the sliders look just like the Vanagon sliders. I'm hoping they will fit with no adapters. I think the side to side spacing will line up (based on the 17 inch measurement), my question now is about the width of each individual slider, and if it will fit into the Vanagon track.

Unfortunately, it will be a week or so till I can go see them. The seller is out of town this weekend, and I'm flying out on business Tuesday, and won't be back until Friday. Wish I had seen his for sale ad a few days earlier! He said he would hold them for me till I got back. Very Happy

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I'm a little ignorant about this, but even if the tracks didn't line up, why couldn't the tracks be taken off the westy seat and put onto the porsche seat? What am I missing in this picture?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be able to do that, but I'm looking for easy-peezy! If they will just slide in, that makes it much more attractive.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Porsche seat is thicker than the stock Vanagon seat, effectively making you ride higher? Be certain to measure the seat thickness to ensure it won't put you into the headliner.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted Porsche tombstone seat out of a 911 into mine. They are a near perfect fit but you will need the Porsche runners.
Take off the Vanagon seats.Once you have the VW runners exposed give them a good clean to get the dust/oil/greae/hair/chewing gum off them.You will then see all the spot welds holding the rails onto the seat tubs.(About 10 on each rail so 40 total) With a new sot weld drill , drill the spot welds out.
The Porsche seats are almost identical in width.Fit the runners to the seat and line them up where you want them.The Porsche runners are drilled front and back from the factory.Once you have lined them up , use a marker pen to mark seat tubs for factory runner holes.
Remove seats/runners, drill holes , bolt in seats/runners with high tensile bolts.
Simple as , takes 1 1/2 hours.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: