Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

places for Hi-Lift jack
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: places for Hi-Lift jack Reply with quote

I am curious as to where those using hi-lift jacks keep them. I am thinking about welding some brackets onto the rear hitch and bolting it somewhat underneath the hitch. Any ideas would be helpful !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most of the 4 wheel drive community, on or below the bumper is generally considered a less than optimal location. Any bump or obstacle will generally render the hi-lift worthless. Mount it higher if you can. There are many options available to you, including one of the fancy Gary Lee racks. Check out the 4x4 sites and see what ideas you can come up with there as well. If it were me and I was mounting it outside the vehicle, consider keeping above the bumper, and make it lockable to prevent theft.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about outside the frame rails underneath? Not the most accessible spot, but out of sight. Wrap the mechanism in oiled cloth to keep the elements at bay. I am assuming you won't have a call to use it too often with a Vanagon.
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where mine (usually) patiently and safely waits. Currently off having a lube job.

a la Gary Lee.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary lee ladder with a gas can and hilift jack and bike carrier

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/ladder/ladderpics.htm
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would feel like a poser with one of the gary lee racks on a non syncro. I am dropping an AHU TDI in next summer (finally rebuilt). It still won't be cool enough to rock those sick gary lee racks Smile I have a Fiamma bike rack. Do you think that is suitable for holding the 30lb jack?
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would feel like a poser with one of the gary lee racks on a non syncro.

Who Cares? A good rack is a good rack, no matter what vehicle you put it on.

Quote:
How about outside the frame rails underneath? Not the most accessible spot, but out of sight.

You mean under the van? I don't like that idea because you're likely to need the jack when the van has one or two wheels stuck in a ditch, or deep in the mud. Then it could be really hard to get at the jack, as it might be pinned under the vehicle.
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could just take some angle iron and bolt 2 pieces to your front bumper... Make sure they are tall enough so that when bolted to the front bumper you can lay the Hi-Lift down on top of the bumper, have the angle iron line up with the holes in the Hi-Lift and bolt the jack to the angle iron. Its on top, out of the way, and easy to get to... Im sure you could even have a 3rd piece of angle that you can run a pad lock through for anti theft.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funagon wrote:
You mean under the van? I don't like that idea because you're likely to need the jack when the van has one or two wheels stuck in a ditch, or deep in the mud. Then it could be really hard to get at the jack, as it might be pinned under the vehicle.

Agreed, but a jack that is mounted in plain sight so that it and the fancy rack that it is mounted to get ripped off by some hoodlum won't do you any good when you are stuck either. Mounting something like a Hi-Lift Jack where it is visible is just asking for trouble.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to mount a hi-lift on the inside of my Jeep Cherokee. I used the 4xRac http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/4xrac.html to mount it across the back of my rear bench seat. It's out of the way, safer from theft than mounted outside, and keeps it out of the weather. Assuming you have the 48" version, you could look into keeping it somewhere inside the van as well. Be creative, and "think INSIDE the box!"

BTW - The Gary Lee rack on my 2wd kicks butt. Like it was said before, a nice rack is a nice rack. Don't let someone else's perception (or your own perceptions) dissuade you from making an informed choice for yourself.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a ruthlessly light traveler. When preparing for travel by plane, bus, boat, dromedary, walking tractor, whatever, I get a pack a size I want to carry (meaning not large) and what doesn't fit, doesn't go. Same goes for my van trips: if it doesn't go inside, it doesn't go. Exterior racks and such are simply not in my reality. I mean, how much stuff do you need to have fun?

Of course, I don't have kids (two big dogs, though), and that would require some rule changes if I did, but I won't, so no big deal.

Now I face a small dilemma with setting up the Syncro with some rather large 16" wheels and tires. I see no problem using a non-matched spare on a 2wd for as little as it gets used and for such short distances, but on a Syncro even a short ride with unmatched wheel sizes is to be carefully avoided. So I'll end up breaking my rule and racking a spare somewhere on the outside. And a hi-lift jack might ride next to it on weekends when we're going offroad. But such a beast would probably wait in the corner of the garage for such excursions, or if I tired of that I would just add a padlock to its mount and let the key dangle from the van's keyring.

But in the absence of a spare tire rack, a hi-lift would just go under the rear bench seat with the other emergency gear. Mounting it externally anywhere below bumper top height would be the apex of folly, because the thing would be buried by the exact conditions for which I wanted to have it available. I don't need a hi-lift to change a tire; I need it to lift the van out of a hole.

So, outside on a rack, up high, or inside out of my way and not tempting thieves. Either way I could get at it when I need it. Seems pretty simple to me.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always toss your rear bumper!!! It fits great back there & it's probably quite a bit stronger then the original!

Harry

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread, wondering if there are any additional ideas out there for hi-lift mounting, particularly in a Snycro Westy. 48" jack doesn't fit under Westy bench.

I have a Gary Lee rack without jack bracket, but could rig something up to make it work there... But the rack is already heavily loaded with crap. Putting it up front, maybe on the front bumper could help distribute some of the weight up front... But it seems kinda vulnerable there. Or to keep it out of the elements, it could be mounted inside. It fits well standing up behind the passenger seat (next to fire extinguisher). Could be well-secured to floor and "wall" of seat platform... But, that's where my porta-potty lives when the GF comes along.

Ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines going on top of my front bumper.
I have GW bumpers, and am going to make tabs that bolt to the bumper and hold the jack.
If you had stock bumpers, you could make a tab, similar to what others have used for light tabs.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front bumper for me too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most, the 36" Hi-Lift will do just fine for their Vanagon. Something that size could easily be stored inside the van and out of the way. I know they are very stout, but I like to keep tools inside the vehicle where they are better protected from the elements.

Also consider theft. A friend is on his second Hi-Lift, and though we both agreed that the first one looked good mounted to his truck's roll cage/rack, the new one resides inside. If you keep them on the outside, LOCK'EM UP!
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Front bumper for me too.

I feel slightly violated by your van each time this pic comes up. Yet I keep coming back for more. It hurts so good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
For most, the 36" Hi-Lift will do just fine for their Vanagon. Something that size could easily be stored inside the van and out of the way. I know they are very stout, but I like to keep tools inside the vehicle where they are better protected from the elements.

Also consider theft. A friend is on his second Hi-Lift, and though we both agreed that the first one looked good mounted to his truck's roll cage/rack, the new one resides inside. If you keep them on the outside, LOCK'EM UP!
If you look in the left hand corner you will see a slash of blue that's the lock I think its for a gun I got it at a pawn shop.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel another poll coming..

how many people who carry a hi lift jack actually carry any chain http://tinyurl.com/yddnz4j or winch cable http://tinyurl.com/yelwh6x , or tow straps and shackles to use the hi lift as a hand winch?

And do you carry the ORK, to make your hilift winching capable?
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html

and do you carry a wheel lift accessory
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

and or do you carry the extra part you need so you can use your hilift in the Vanagon jacking points?
http://tinyurl.com/ya232sd

and by the time you have added up all the weight of chains, jack and accessories, does it take less space, or weigh less, or cost less than this winch:?
http://tinyurl.com/ydcwcot

Using a hi lift just to jack up a wheel is not going to get you out of a mud hole..

and fwiw, I just saw a black hilift mounted to a black front bumper top.. and here is a locking mount
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/loc-rac.html

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
how many people who carry a hi lift jack actually carry any chain or winch cable, or tow straps to use the hi lift as a hand winch?

I'm slowly piecing together the necessary bits.

Jon_slider wrote:

and do you carry a wheel lift accessory
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

and or do you carry the extra part you need so you can use your hilift in the Vanagon jacking points?
http://tinyurl.com/ya232sd

I've actually been wondering which of the two would be better to have...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: