Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorcycles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode an '85 BMW R65 city bike for a year or so around nine years ago. Great experience, loved the sensation of the wind passing over my helmet Rolling Eyes

One day I suited up (which takes a hell of a long time), walked over to the bike, stared down at it with my helmet on and suddenly thought, "that's it." I knew my luck was about to run out. Except for riding it fifteen miles to the consignment shop I never rode it again and haven't ridden since, and never will.... ever. About an hour after walking away from the bike that day, I turned on the radio and the first thing I heard was the traffic report with the lady saying, "there's a collision between a motorcycle and a big rig on highway..........."

To this day I feel I got off lucky,

Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden for 35 years and never been hurt on a motorcycle.

1. I ALWAYS ride sober.
2. I've taken and passed the MFR riders class twice.
3. I've taken and passed the MFR advanced riders class.
4. I ride a big "ugly" Harley dresser with lots of lights on it. Make sure they can see you.
5. I don't ride sport bikes, sooner or later you'll act stupid. Speed kills.
6. I ride like an old man who knows he's not bullet proof.
7. I don't ride to work anymore, rush hour traffic is the worse.
8. I've been VERY lucky, I know that and give thanks for that.

Having said all of that, I've lost severial friends on bikes.
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coad I hope it ain't Marla's Husband!!!! Hopefully they've ridden before. My first bike was a Harley, I can't say I had really ridden anything else before, (mini-bike and a 250 yammie enduro- didn't belong to me) People thought I was crazy getting a Harley for my first bike. They are right. Tell him to take Manxcraig's advice. Riding school, no drinking, and be afraid of everyone else on the road. I haven't been on my current bike much because of two "incidents"( one my fault being stupid) this summer where I almost ate asphault.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resurrected an old Honda 500 a few years back. Never ridden before - I just taught myself by tooling around the parking lot at work, then ventured out onto the service road, then around some neighborhoods. The FIRST time I took it into heavy town traffic, I was nervous as hell, and some idiot turned left RIGHT in front of me. My reaction time was slow and I missed his back bumper by inches.
That was a good lesson...people just don't see motorcycles. Ever since then, I've always been super conscious of everything going on around me.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first bike before I ever had a car at the age of 15. That was in 1970. Took and passed a motorcycle safety test and learned to always drive on the defensive. I always rode off center of any lane and kept my eyes peeled at least 2 blocks ahead. Thought then that vehicle driver's were crazy and after 2 years gave up the bike. Fast forward to 1995.......Bought a Heritage thinking that with more bikes on the road that vehicle driver's would be more aware of bike riders. Wrong! I actually think that over time it had gotten worse. Sold that bike a year later, the day after a woman turned left from the right lane in front of me. I think that at an early age you do not think about the consequences of riding a bike but as you get older you do seem to get wiser. Just a thought, I see a lot of "older" people riding 3 wheel Hondas, the loaded Gold Wing types. Never seen one of those down. Any opinions?
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
crofty wrote:
I rode for a few years but stopped because people in cars are idiots.

X2
if you are careful they are not bad.
a few things to remember.
#1 go a bit faster then everyone else, because no one sees you,
#2 expect EVERYONE to pull out in front of you because no one sees you
#3 no one sees you
#4 everyone else are idiots.

personally i road for a few years local, never laid one down.
i stayed off the interstate as much as possible.

This is great advice above. Riding is a huge responsibility, its not at all like in the TV commercials.

Also remember:

ITs when you ride on any two wheels on the roads that you begin to notice how truly unaware people are driving their cars, especially with every other car today on CELL PHONES, whom are so absorbed in conversation that they barely acknowledge traffic conditions, barely turn their head, nor check their mirrors, they just look straight ahead for the most part.

Most folks getting a motorbike for the first time will be in for a major reality check in traffic for the first time, with cars and trucks creeping up alongside and behind you, with others annoyed at you just for even being there, etc etc.

Long before you put a motorbike on the road consider riding a bicycle in heavy traffic situations for a few years first just to get used to the surroundings and getting in the habit of watching what people in cars are capable of doing. To me its essential that you truly anticipate the full spectrum and volume of idiot moves folks can and will do with no notice and completely at random, in quantity. Riding a bike also makes you very conscious of road conditions you will need to negotiate around, over, and through if necessary, in the sun and rain. The time to learn this stuff is on a bicycle first for a ton of reasons.

Once you can get this whole new awareness built into your subconcious, the better off you will be and more confident in taking longer more complicated trips. So its all about calculated risk really.

Also, don't commute to work on the bike unless the roads are mostly suburban/rural in nature, forget any highway driving period if thats what it involves. Again folks in cars are zoning out to and from work on CELL PHONES barricaded in steel and you aren't, and half asleep on the way in, and usually mind fried on the way home, so almost all safe driving practices and etiquette are gone during commutes. Nomatter how good you are as a driver, if you are up against an idiot in a 2500lb car you WILL lose, and they are out there everywhere.

That said, I've clocked in nearly 4K miles on my motorcycles and scooters this past summer without incident, a third of that with road group rallys whch no one laid down a bike and its alot safer to ride with others since you are seen better. Driving on your own you have to always be looking at everyone and into their eyes at intersections, crossroads, etc., just to gain as much as an acknowledgement as possible that they see you and know you are there, and if you don't get that be extra careful and seek out the safest route possible out of there.

Those Motorcycle Safety courses will drive the safety and other operational issues home, my wife took the course this summer and mentioned various things to me also that I never considered, for newbies taking this class is an absolute MUST.

Good luck, remember to wear good protective clothes/jacket, boots, gloves, full face/shield helmet too.
abgwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, my brother recently sold his bike. it was kinda sad, as he had saved up for years to get it. after only a couple of seasons, he sold it (at a pretty big loss). he said it was because he had the same reservations - too easy to get hurt, he had big responsibilities now, and a close friend of his was in the hospital because of a wreck on his bike.

the truth? his wife decided it was too risky.
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
I see a lot of "older" people riding 3 wheel Hondas, the loaded Gold Wing types. Never seen one of those down. Any opinions?

Those things handle like a log wagons, you can't avoid problems that pop up quickly. My money is on the riders age and experance being the reason you havent seen any in trouble.
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
people just don't see motorcycles.

Not quite, people don't look for motorcycles. Ever seen a car pull out in front of a simi? Didn't see it? No, didn't look for it!
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycles Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Is it just my prejudice against motorcycles or am I right?

Wrong. If you aren't a dumb ass, where the correct gear (including helmet, boots, gloves, etc.), and ride like everyone is out to kill you, you can avoid accidents entirely. I've been riding accident-free for 3 years now. My dad has ridden for close to 40 years with no serious accidents. Just because you hear of people dying on motorcycles a lot on TV doesn't mean they are really unsafe, there is just a negative stigma that follows motorcyclists. Ask me how I know Rolling Eyes

I'd stick to your prius, coad Wink
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple common sense, never pushing yourself or your machine, always pretending you're invisible to others, proper bike maintenance, ADVANCED RIDER TRAINING COURSES SAVE LIVES. I live in Hungary, and have ridden my Kawasaki KLE 500 all over this part of the world, usually very off-road and with full camping gear attached, in thirty mile an hour crosswinds, torrential downpours, rain, snow and even hail once (that was awful). My worst injury was a hornet embedded in my inner thigh! At highway speed, that SUCKS! Shocked And in the summer, much to my embarrassment, I ride in shorts and sandals...here's a snap from a long tour of Bosnia:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okay, the shorts will bite me in the ass eventually, but the Advanced Rider Courses have been keeping me upright for many thousands of hard miles!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
mustard_madman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I resurrected an old Honda 500 a few years back. Never ridden before - I just taught myself by tooling around the parking lot at work, then ventured out onto the service road, then around some neighborhoods. The FIRST time I took it into heavy town traffic, I was nervous as hell, and some idiot turned left RIGHT in front of me. My reaction time was slow and I missed his back bumper by inches.
That was a good lesson...people just don't see motorcycles. Ever since then, I've always been super conscious of everything going on around me.

Columbia is the WORST place to ride a motorcycle with minimal experience. I hated riding one around here. Don't really care to get on another motorcycle until we move out of Columbia. I have to give credit to the 49cc scooter riders around here. Either their nuts drag the ground as they ride, or they are dumb.
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode sport bikes for a year or so and then quit. Too dangerous, especially with a family. Too many friends and a lot of military get hurt and die. Animals and people pulling in front of you was my biggest problem. That and one day the speedo cable came on done and was flapping in the breeze an inch from my wheel spokes-didnt even notice still I stopped, that was a scary thought. I was riding with a group of out of control people that would meet at the local sonic and go cruise and decided thats it for me-these guys are nuts.

Its also selfish to have all these toys I think. One or so is enough, a boat is good then the whole fam can enjoy it. We havent give up our ATVs though. Been riding too long. Got the kids into it but am very watchful of them-both have speed control units on them, one I had to custom make and it looks factory.

Been in a few scrapes but nothing major, flipped the ATV a few times, side swiped some trees etc. After you crash you count your blessings because it could have been bad, and thankfully we always wear helmets. I never do anything out of control but things tend to happen. You hit a stump you didnt see etc.

Im almost thinking of getting rid of the fast one and downsizing. The small ones pull us thru the woods just fine and its still fun. Right now the fast one hates going slow and I need to go slow with the kids. Dang thing has been in my family since 93 bought new and I just cant let it go.

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for years, no problems so far.

My rule is that I almost never ride with a destination in mind. I usually do big circles in the countryside, looking for twisty two-lane roads. I live right on the edge of the more urban areas, so I don't have to go through city traffic to get where I'm going. And I treat other vehicles as though they were radioactive point-sources.

And yes, people are stupid on the road. They treat near-death experiences like everyday occurrences. Its amazing to me that there aren't smoking wrecks on the side of the road everywhere you go. But then, when its your time, its your time. It could be an auto collision, a flight of stairs, a potato chip, or driving a certain 3-wheeled Messerschmit I can think of...

I guess at some point as you insulate yourself from all risk, you begin to stop living.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
Riding since 2003 with no problems. Honestly don't like to talk about not having problems for fear of having an accident (superstitious).

Same here. I have been riding since about '01 with not so much as a scratch. Many close calls but (knock on wood) nothing yet. I too hate talking about it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jroymcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many motorcycles. I gave it up when I had kids. Got another one a few months ago and already sold it.

Few people I know have been killed. They had been riding all their life. They wore full gear, took all the safety classes and never drank. I went down once, had full gear. I was able to walk away.

In the S.F. Bay Area there is at least one rider down on the freeway every morning. Hear about a fatality almost every weekend in the mountains.

I love it, just not worth the risk with kids
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Foxx wrote:
crofty wrote:
I rode for a few years but stopped because people in cars are idiots.

X2
if you are careful they are not bad.
a few things to remember.
#1 go a bit faster then everyone else, because no one sees you,
#2 expect EVERYONE to pull out in front of you because no one sees you
#3 no one sees you
#4 everyone else are idiots.

personally i road for a few years local, never laid one down.
i stayed off the interstate as much as possible.

oh yeah,..i forgot one but i don't think it would be a problem for Coad.
as the post lostone says below this one, respect.
#5 it is a wild horse and it will toss you if you give it a chance.

I think if everyone who drives a car rode a bike for a week the roads would be MUCH safer.

X1000 crofty Very Happy My 93 FLSTC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: